PH and what it means for your plants

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by joe_fresh, Mar 17, 2010.

1. #21 mrbob_58, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2010
    complicated read , but you porbly saved my grow. thanks Joe. I was able to counter a sudden drop in ph and i have this thread to thank. + rep and GC, this needs to be a sticky. it wont let me give you any more rep. but i do thankyou very much

2. what do you recommend for a household item for raising my ph?

3. A great medium that I've started using for my indoor plants is called coconot. It's similar to growing in coco, but more soil-like. It holds water reasonably well. I have to water about every 2-4 days. It also seems to have a very stable pH. I had two plants in the mix I was using previously, and one in the coconot as a test. One plant in the mix died of a pH problem, and the other was severely affected. The plant in the coconot was barely affected at all. When I found out it was a pH problem, tested and corrected, the tester showed that the coconot also maintained a pH closer to ideal than the other mix had. It's aerated well without perlite, which is nice since the top soil doesn't wash around a ton like with perlite-heavy mixes when you water.

It seems like it's a product that isn't very widespread, though, so you may have some trouble finding it.

4. That was a good read I don't know how I missed it before.

I have noticed that if I add plain peat to my R/O it works great as PH down. They sell 1 cu ft bags of plain peat at Kmart. I figure that might be a cheaper option than pure citric acid for those that need a lot.

I have been adding dolomite lime to my R/O jug and letting it sit for 24 hours. The PH rises from 5.5 to ~6.6. Will this add any useful calcium or magnesium? I am trying to avoid using calmag supplement. I get a little cal mag from the molasses but I don't think it is enough on its own.

5. Well Joe that was absolutely what I have been looking for on here and other forums. I think this is the first truly helpful pH article/posting. I will definitely be referring to this for many grows to come. I have also forwarded this to a few friends. Lets see how they take it. Again bro, thanks a bunch i have a understanding, even if small, of how this should work.

6. great read, helps me a lot Thanks Man

7. God damn that was a lot to read, but great info answered some questions i have had for a while ty for the info

8. I'm way too stoned to read and absorb this information.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. + Rep for you for this valuable piece of information. I truly appreciate you taking the time to post this, was a truly great read and answered alot of the questions that i had.

This truly is worthy of being stickied

10. awesome post. helped me a lot

11. #32 WhyzGuy777, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2010
    Got a slight PH problem.
    Im growing soiless this time.. My (5 gallon) mix is:

2 parts Sphagnum Peat Moss
    1 part Perlite
    1 part Vermiculite
    1 cup of pulverized Dolomite Lime

Im stuck at about 5.4 in my runoff. My tap water is 6.6 going in. I have 4 germinated seeds I don't want to waste, so I need to figure something out soon.

12. did you make your own mix? if so you should have let the mix sit wet for a week or so to let the lime activate and raise soil...

unless you have been fertilizing the soil thats the only way i can see your ph being low...

on a side note when you buy promix, fresh out the bag with nothing added it has a ph of 5.5-6.5 depending on the bag....just a thaught to consider....

13. Is unpolluted river water ok to water with?

My houseplants seem to love it.

14. Hey what up everybody, I am new to this. I hope to learn ALOT from here.

15. can I use soil ph test strips to measure runoff???

16. yes you can

17. Lol im going to read 5 paragraphs a day and see how much I can learn that way.

I guess it makes sure you absorb as much info as possible..

18. #39 Chaosgen420, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2010
    So I've read that the lower the Ph in the range 6.3 - 6.8 for soil has more of a chance of being female is this just b.s. or true? Mines currently 6.5

19. well if the ph (all nutrients considered) is correct your mj plants will generally express more females than males, i don't know if any other variables are involved?