PH and what it means for your plants

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by joe_fresh, Mar 17, 2010.

1. In hydro when a problem hits it can hit fast and hard giving you less time to correct the problem before it gets worse or really bad. In soil you have more time to take care of a problem. Which Dyna Grow you have? I use their Protekt silica it helps strengthen plant cell walls making them stronger and more resistant to bugs and other shit. As for Fox Farms I used to use their soil but have been using a new brand called Vermisoil for seedlings and Vermifire for when they are ready for a stronger organic soil. With the Vermi brand soils I`ve noticed that it pH balances out quicker and easier then the Fox Farms soil I used in the past plus so far I haven't got any fungus gnats from the Vermi soil like I have with Ocean Forest a number of times in the past. Most base nutes chemical or organic lack calcium and magnesium so using something like Calmag or dolomite limestone in your soil helps. Dolomite limestone can take 2 weeks to around 1 month to break down depending if you use peletized or crushed limestone.

2. What should the pH level be for AutoFlowers?

3. #223 tplat, May 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2014
    For some reason it posted twice. See post below.

Attached Files:

4. Its no different then growing a regular photo period plant. If in coco or doing a hydro grow then 5.5-6.1 with 5.5 being the sweet spot and if in regular soil 6-6.8 with 6.5 being the sweet spot for soil.

5. Thanks for pinning this! That article taught me so much it is a must read for any new grower like myself.

6. How much do I water when there babys

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. post some pics.

8. My plants are stressed! Please Help a newbie!!! Drooping from the move? What is the best heating source for the 6hours of dark?
    Thanks! ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1400624961.903456.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. #229 johnnyjane, May 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2014
    Why do you want heat? Ur temp should've about 60-70 at lights out depending where I have it.I run 2 tents and both run at no more than 75 lights on and no less that 55 in the winter at lights out.Def don't need heat at lights out,they need a lil break.You should top,lst or take a cut from the tops of those plants so the bottom branches bush out and you'll have more main cola's.Unless your gonna train them a certain way.You won't get much from them if you don't.
    Oh yeah their probably stressed if you just had to move.Make sure they have enough water and are not to close to your light(could cause heat stress).Give it 2-3 days and they'll bounce right back
    Actually looks light you might need to bring your light down a bit.Those plants look like their stretching for the light.Def not good,you'll have lanky plants that won't produce a lot.put your hand above your plants and lower your light untill it starts to feel warm and back up an inch or so.Make sure you raise it every week or so as to keep your plants at optimum growing and healthy ness.if it doesn't drop below 50 at night your fine for now.are you ph'ing your water?Makes a huge difference so your plants can uptake all the proper nutrients so they stay healthy.
    Sent from my Mansion on Mars.

10. Could someone please tell me if I can use a hydroponic ph tester for testing the ph of the water I'm using in my soil??

Ravekid

11. Can I use pool ph adjuster for my plants I'm hearing you can and I'm hearing it will kill them? This is the only thing I have. I could get the kind from the pet shop for fish would this be better?

Ravekid

12. If I could give an example of the importance of ph it would be this!!

One month growing with improper ph
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410064945.788815.jpg

Potato was there for bugs don't worry

Here is the same plant a month later after watering with proper ph

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1410064987.054972.jpg

It's the bottom right.

There were changes in the soil and lighting but the plant did not take advantage of any of it until I watered with proper ph

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1314811-My-First-Indoor-Grow-And-Journal

I'll sell my inventions so everyone can be a hero, everyone can be super. And when everyone's super.. No one will be.

13. If the device is for testing the ph of water than it won't matter that it is labeled "hydroponic"

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1314811-My-First-Indoor-Grow-And-Journal

I'll sell my inventions so everyone can be a hero, everyone can be super. And when everyone's super.. No one will be.

14. I used pool ph adjuster for quite some time coincidentally. It is worth it to get ph adjuster that is not for the pool, that way it isn't too powerful and you can adjust more accurately.

15. How old are those?? What's going on in there??

They look rather needy

16. #237 shazee666, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2014
    Hello guys. I am growing outdoor. My plant is in flowering for 3 weeks. Recently it showed signs of nutrients deficiency, that arise due to too high pH in soil. My tap water is alkaline. 8'ish something (pH paper test).

I got some Phosphoric acid. I got a 250ml bottle that said 75% Phosphoric acid. I added 15 drops in a 3 litre water bottle . It got my waters pH to 6.5-7. My plan is to water the pot till it drains. 3 litre water bottle is enough.

My question is:
    Should I go ahead?
    Will this affect my cannabis plant in a good way or bad way?
    Will this also raise toxicity in my pot?

17. Hows this PH meter look like to u guys? http://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?country=be〈=en&id=371960

DVM8681
    1412052278696.jpg

Features

waterproof housing (IP67) dual display with ATC data hold function pen size, fits easily in the pocket low battery indication auto power off C of F selectable automatic calibration calibration up to 3 points

Specifications

accuracy: 0.2 pH pH range: 0 - 14 temperature accuracy: ± 1C temperature resolution: 0.5C/F resolution: 0.1 pH ATC: yes self-calibration: yes dimensions: 150 x 36 x 25 mm weight: 65 g battery: 4 x LR44 (incl.)

Worth buying?
    Can i take tests from soil and runoff water with that?
    Im on perlite soil btw.

Thanks!

18. #240 TheAnswer121, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014

what's the cost? i paid like $30 for my hm digital ph meter. got it on sale

$50 now

http://www.amazon.com/HMDPHM80-Digital-pH-Temperature-Meter/dp/B0096N8OWI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1412461980&sr=8-9&keywords=ph+meter

whatever you choose, make sure you get some calibration liquid and check it regularly. it doesn't take long to jump a few points