ph and ppm issues

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by locdogg39, Apr 6, 2012.

1. What does it mean if both PH and ppm goes up at the same time? My understanding is that if ppm goes up the plants are drinking more than they are eating and thus the nutes are too strong. If nutes are acidic and water is basic, then if water is being taken up more than the nutes are then shouldnt ph go down as there is more acidic matter left in the equilibrium? I'm trying to figure out what the plants are telling me when both my ph and ppm are constantly going up and consistanly having to ph down it. It just makes absolutely no sense that both are going up at the same time. And this isnt just occuring under my current rez, its been happening for this entire grow, which is in its 5th week of flower now. I wish it were as simple as ppm going up and ph going down so i know my solution is too strong or ppm going down and ph going up so i know its too weak, but with both going up i cant figure out what they are telling me and they look like crap, leaves dying everywhere, new growth showing burn. As a note, i'm attempting the lucas formula, this current rez is 7/14, but i cant get it dialed in. I've attempted use of my tap water, RO water, and now currently filtered water. Can anybody reasonably explain what is theorectically happening when both ppm and ph rise at the same time?

2. First off, pure water isn't basic, it's neutral. The whole pH scale is based on water being the average.

You say, "If nutes are acidic." Do you mean that you know your fertilizer is acidic or is this just an assumption? There are a great many alkaline ferts.

By 7/14 do you mean pH 7.14? If not, what are your pH readings?

Plants don't really filter nutrients out of the water. They absorb the liquid and whatever solubles are in it.

There are a few possible reasons for what you're seeing. You'll have to describe your system to get some good answers. You may also get some better assistance in the Hydro forum.