pH and Nutes

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by JamesIII, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Hello, everyone.

Some background, I have been in the wholesale aquarium industry since 2012 and have an advanced understanding of interactions within water.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/rhf/feature/index.php - Learn what Chloramine is

Saltwater interaction of calcium and seawater: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.php

Supplemental Nutrients: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

I make over $100k a year from growing calcium based animals.

Can you guys, on this fourm, provide to me the steps you take to pH your water, and reasons you do it?
    Can you elaborate on why you do this? How do you test your pH (strips, meter, or tritation) Do you monitor your temperature? Do you consider gas exchange?

I am a beginner cannabis grower but have an acute understanding of how water interacts with supplements.. My trouble comes with adding that to soil. That is why I am making this post to hear what everyone is doing for pH and why?

I have a very very hard time justifying the addition of nutrients for Cannabis. I just do not see the necessity. I am going to be frank, my hobby is for display purposed. Our goal is to the grow the plant as best as possible and not run the race car at 100%

So I have read so much about pH and everyone seems to be worrying about it like its the end all cure to their grow. I am fundamentally disagreeing. This seems like every addition of nutrients is not dictated by the plant but by the grower? Its really not that hard to achieve flower on a crop plant.

Please everyone, post your pH routine. I'd love to learn from everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. Well the necessary comes as cannabis is like every other living thing and needs certain elements to grow.

and what do you disagree with in regards to ph? A plant uptakes certain nutrients at a certain ph range. So in chemical soil / hydro grows you need to know your ph, or your plant won’t be able to utilise what you give it.
    91EEA378-174A-4B17-B58E-76E3062EA5E9.jpeg 5AC38418-71FB-4A01-A623-4118EC15C9BB.jpeg

I personally grow organically so the microorganisms take care of the buffering for me. I’ve checked my ph one time over the years just to see what it was..

3. I don't disagree with the science. Having said that...

I feel that there's this perception that everything just has to be absolutely flawless, including Ph, for cannabis to grow successfully. A lot of folks like to really dial everything in. I think it's part of their fun with the hobby. Their plants look amazing, but it is just too much for me.

I do want to try LST on my next grow though and put a drop or two of "PH Down" in every watering just to see how it goes. It should just slightly lower the Ph (which is higher by default due to tap water).

My plants grew fine with no Ph checking, so I'm sure slightly lower Ph will be just as fine if not better.

4. Usually I check ph every time I change nutes and flush. This time around I did not. In the beginning it's easy. You just mix a simple nute solution, and ph is normally right on. It seems ph matters more as you go along. Since I haven't checked ph my new growth is almost yellow. Its green, but it looks yellow in the center leaves. I'll now have to check ph and adjust. I dont know much about ph in soil I just let it go. Soil plants have same yellowing in center leaves. Can anyone tell me process for checking and adjusting ph in soil grow?

5. I use ph meter and test strip occasionally just as a check to the meter. And nutrients are not needed to grow, they just help grow the best. A youtube guy did a plain water grow with a strain that he always grows. The plain water strain grew and yielded, just not as much or as potent as with nutes. My buddy say's "it's a weed, it grows wild on 6 continents". Well sorta, hemp grows wild, but quality cannabis definitely does not.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Grow hydro, you might enjoy it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hydro's fun, and the explosive growth amazes me every time. You start thinkin, "man this plant is not growing very fast." Then the roots hit the nute water and it's all over. If you get everything right, hydro plants will catch up with, and grow faster than soil.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. As others have said it’s not necessarily the ph of your water going in, but what the ph of your soil is. If your soil has the proper nutrients to buffer any change from the ph of your water no need to worry. If not you’ll want to make sure your water is at the proper ph so it doesn’t affect the soil. The bottom paragraph says it all.

IMG_0472.JPG