pH and EC: What it Means for Your Plants

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by OhioStateBuckeyes, Nov 21, 2011.

1. What he says makes sense; topical =/= safe for ingestion 100%. The reason I bought my hydro store H2O2 is because I didn't want to use topical H2O2 (but, after checking it after reading this, its not food grade either, ~.~, stupid, stupid, stupid thinking hydro stores know and always sell safe product) Guess after this hydro-store bought H2O2 I'll be grabbing some food grade; thanks for the info.

2. [quote name='"1sttimegrower"']What he says makes sense; topical =/= safe for ingestion 100%. The reason I bought my hydro store H2O2 is because I didn't want to use topical H2O2 (but, after checking it after reading this, its not food grade either, ~.~, stupid, stupid, stupid thinking hydro stores know and always sell safe product) Guess after this hydro-store bought H2O2 I'll be grabbing some food grade; thanks for the info.[/quote]

Exactally. :) even hydro stores Rarely have the right shit.

3. i have a question that you might be able to answer. my nutrient solution is measured hanna EC/ms for all intents and purposes. i use a top load hydroponic system drain to waste my medium is rockwool. my question is this. i measure my nutrient solution at around .820ec 5.5 ph-my rockwool cubes run off is with 3 qt. will go from 5.5 down to 4.0... i will water them a few more times and the ph will rise to about 5.3 not where i want it but i will take it. sometimes i will let the water go up to 6.0 and get the same result. i think this might be a problem with bacteria. just curious if this has happened to anyone else? about a week before they were just getting 3qt. at 5.5 and running off at 5.4 the ec would be .820 so it seemed as if nothing was wrong. i read an article in maximum yeild about ph fluctuation. i forgot what issue. it was last year feb or march around there.

4. [quote name='"mn1"']i have a question that you might be able to answer. my nutrient solution is measured hanna EC/ms for all intents and purposes. i use a top load hydroponic system drain to waste my medium is rockwool. my question is this. i measure my nutrient solution at around .820ec 5.5 ph-my rockwool cubes run off is with 3 qt. will go from 5.5 down to 4.0... i will water them a few more times and the ph will rise to about 5.3 not where i want it but i will take it. sometimes i will let the water go up to 6.0 and get the same result. i think this might be a problem with bacteria. just curious if this has happened to anyone else? about a week before they were just getting 3qt. at 5.5 and running off at 5.4 the ec would be .820 so it seemed as if nothing was wrong. i read an article in maximum yeild about ph fluctuation. i forgot what issue. it was last year feb or march around there.[/quote]

Are you saying that your water is filtered through rock will and runs off in somthing else?

5. your last one is correct. i run drain to waste. the water is top loaded or hand watered... the residual water collects in a reservoir. the water that is collected is then dumped down the drain. i water one plant at a time. 3qt each straight water ph 5.7 run off is 5.3... some days it will be 5.5 ph and run off of just 3qts will be around 4.0 then i will give it another 6qt and it will come up to around 5.3. my feeding program is nutrient then water alternating. on the watering days i dont want to give it so much water because i do not want to flush my plants or keep the ec from climbing to around 1.1ec

6. usually they stay around... ec wise

.500 straight water
    .820 nutrient solution

hope this is a little easier to understand.

7. #47 heisenbud, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
    hmmm, one theory, when you pour water through the rock wool a lot of water stays in the Wool, but not very many fertz stay, so you are left with more fertz in less water which always gives you acidic water...

8. so my rockwool cubes are holding more water than fertilizer? and what is left over is just fertilizer in in less than 3qt of water? making it acidic? sorry i really thought on that one. i have a feeling what you said is much different than what i interpreted.

9. i edited it slightly to make it a little more clear, the idea is fertz lower ph, and if your ph is balanced and you keep PPM roughly the same but decrees the amount of water you would have a low ph. :confused: make any more sense?

10. yes... the only thing i do not understand is... when i give them more and more water say 9qts. as opposed to 3qts why the ph fluctuates from

new balanced water... 5.5 .430 ec
    run off after 1st 3 qts. 4.0 .520
    after 3 more qts. 5.0 .520
    after 3 more qts 5.3 .500

if it is nutrient solution then the ec goes up. from .700 to .900 to 1.0

11. this is looking a little like a cheap ec meter making funny jumps, do you store the probe in 7.0 solution? and do you calibrate? I'll have to think about this a little more

12. i wish it was a cheap meter i use a hanna handheld hi-98136 i do a two point calibration 4.0 -7.0 i also have a hanna continuos ph meter hi981401n as well as a hanna tds/ec/ppm pen. all calibrated ec is calibrated at 1440. probes are left in water or in the calibration storage solution.

13. ph is consistent on both meters. i check ever day. calibrate every month regardless of calcheck