Petition to The White House To Repeal The Patriot Act

Discussion in 'General' started by alexjbrandt, Sep 23, 2011.

1. #1 alexjbrandt, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2011
    Hello All,

I wanted to let you know about a new petition I created on We the People, a new feature on WhiteHouse.gov, and ask for your support. Will you add your name to mine? If this petition gets 5,000 signatures by October 22, 2011, the White House will review it and respond! We the People allows anyone to create and sign petitions asking the Obama Administration to take action on a range of issues. If a petition gets enough support, the Obama Administration will issue an official response. You can view and sign the petition here: http://wh.gov/gZM

Here's some more information about this petition:

Repeal the Patriot Act

We, the undersigned, hereby declare that anti-terrorism legislation passed by our US Congress since the tragic September 11, 2001 attacks on our nation, seriously damage and infringe upon the constitutional protections that are enshrined in our Bill of Rights. We declare that it is not patriotic, but rather Un-American to destroy the very freedoms which cause Americans to love their country. We oppose the “sneak and peek” provision of the PATRIOT Act, which infringes our 4th amendment protections against unreasonable search and seizure by denying citizens their right to be aware that their property is to be searched and their right to protest such search. We oppose the PATRIOT Act’s destruction of e-mail and Internet privacy which violates the bill of rights. The implementation of the national security state has created an expansive, inefficient, and secretive bureaucratic nightmare increasingly being targeted to spy on Americans, even based on anonymous information and political affiliation, all supposedly in the name of keeping us safe.

As Benjamin Franklin once said "Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither".

Please help us restore our civil rights and liberties by signing this petition.

Edit:

I just want to say thank you to everyone who has viewed and signed this petition!!! I just got the 2,500 signature so the petition is now halfway to 5,000 signatures. Please share this with any friends or family so we can get 5,000 signatures.

Edit 2:

Hello Everyone!

First just want to say thank you to everyone who has helped to make this possible and for your support, I have finally acquired the necessary 5,000 signatures on my petition. (much sooner then I thought I would) Now we just wait for the White House to review the petition and issue a response. It's amazing what we can accomplish when we work together!

To view the petition and signatures, you can follow this link: https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/petition/repeal-patriot-act/JF1pdPKg

Our fellow citizens have united all over our country to sign this petition in an attempt to regain the civil rights and liberties we initially lost under former Republican President George W. Bush. It's time that we stop the process of becoming an authoritarian police state and demand our government respect the rule of law and rights enshrined in our Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Again, thank you to all of you have helped make this possible! As soon as we get a response from the White House, I will let you know.

Respectfully,

Alex Brandt

2. My brain hurts. I'm gonna say brool cory sto and smoke a J. :smoke:

3. to long i didnt read, whats the patriot act again?

4. This is exactly what's wrong with America.

5. You really need to read up on it Tinman. This is serious stuff.

6. There's already a lot of criticism and opposition to the Patriot Act. I don't think they'd care about a petition because they've already heard it. But I agree they need to do away with it

7. Thank you! I couldn't agree more!

8. AGH! Fucking sheep!

"Baaa! What's the slaughter house? Baaa! What's the patriot act?"

9. And one day they are going to wake and wonder where all their civil rights and liberties went to.

10. No they won't. Sheep don't know they were once wild.

11. The reason they put that petition site is to distract people from doing things that actually change the laws imo.Its another illusion.

12. I don't really believe that, the White House has the power to veto legislation and introduce legislation into Congress. So if Congress passes an extension of the Patriot Act - Obama could veto it. I don't think we have anything to gain by not petition the White House to repeal the Patriot Act - in fact I'd say that we have more to gain by letting the Patriot Act expire or repealing it.

13. [​IMG]

14. These people signed the Patriot Act.

15. The patriot act was never a good idea... I'm pretty sure the gov knows that and they don't give a fuck because now they can do what they want.

16. Hello Everyone!

First just want to say thank you to everyone who has helped to make this possible and for your support, I have finally acquired the necessary 5,000 signatures on my petition. (much sooner then I thought I would) Now we just wait for the White House to review the petition and issue a response. It's amazing what we can accomplish when we work together!

To view the petition and signatures, you can follow this link: https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/petition/repeal-patriot-act/JF1pdPKg

Our fellow citizens have united all over our country to sign this petition in an attempt to regain the civil rights and liberties we initially lost under former Republican President George W. Bush. It's time that we stop the process of becoming an authoritarian police state and demand our government respect the rule of law and rights enshrined in our Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Again, thank you to all of you have helped make this possible! As soon as we get a response from the White House, I will let you know.

Respectfully,

Alex Brandt

17. I'm a foreigner and even I agree with the petition...

sub'd for the update

18. The Patriot Act is evil man.

Too bad UK media pays police to give up personal information.

This world is fucked.