Pet smart for mediums?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by uberkush, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Could i get some leca balls and coco coir from petsmart and use them for my grow? I have never done hydro but i was gonna use leca by itself or coco mixed in. Pet smart has these things for reptiles but i dont want to use them if they have anything added.
    Reptile Substrate and Other Reptile Bedding Supplies | PetSmart

2. #2 mosesnumb, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2012
    I don't know about those 2 options, but personally i use lava rock pebbles from a store like lowes, home depot, menards, just rinse them very well and use like hydroton. It leaves a little red sediment in the bottom of hydro setups, but its cheap as hell and easy to work with. Roots grow through them and lock them all into place.

Edit: no PH issues caused by it either, seems to be very neutral.

3. thanks for the reply i already bought the hydroton from petsmart it looks just like the kind from a hydro store so im sure its fine. ill look into lava rock pebbles though if i need more

4. As long as it's just coco coir fiber and it's completely inert, you can use it as a grow medium. Although, since it wasn't designed for horticultural use, I would flush it first, because it might still have a high salt content.

5. i got the leca and im assuming since its for pets its safe for plants too. im gonna wash it off good though

6. Just get some quality water that you're going to use for your plants and flush it off, just in case the salt is still there. Sometimes even the coco you buy at hydro store needs to be washed.