Pesticide alternatives

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Peaceful Dusk86, Jul 30, 2015.

1. I do apologize if this topic has already been discussed. That having been said please feel free to share some alternatives to pesticide or even perhaps as illogical as it may sound, perhaps some organic pesticides.

2. I put 3 Praying Mantis Egg Case (Ootheca) in my garden. All have hatched and I even found one in my shower yesterday. He looked to be 3x his hatch size. I think they take care of smaller pest pretty well.

My big problem is grasshoppers everywhere.

3. Neem oil, pressed from the fruits and seeds of the neem, which is an evergreen tree.

I've used it on my tomato plants to help take care of the aphids. But it can also deter a lot of other pests too including mites, beetles, locust, moth larvae, and fungus gnats.

You can get it at home depot for under $20.

4. Thank you for the tips. I am going to try these out when I grow my own garden soon.

5. I've been battling green caterpillars eating up my sweet pepper plants. Neem spray didn't seem to slow them down one bit. I made a mixture of 1 cup water, 1 teaspoon of powered cayenne pepper, a few drops of dish soap and half a teaspoon of Tabasco sauce. So far so good. No new damage.

6. #6 Bob Barker, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2015
    I had a few caterpillars eating some autoflower buds a month back. I was lucky and picked off about 6 in total and that was all.

7. 3 things i like to use...

• marigolds planted along the edges of my veggies in a border...the do a tremendous job of naturally keeping many pests away
    • jalapeno juice in a sprayer...especially if you like jalapenos (i don't so i buy big jars and toss the peppers)...killed off my jap bettles on my green beans like a dream
    • and if you see an infestation, some DE dust on them will quickly eradicate and it's cheap!

8. #8 Bob Barker, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2015
    I have a few marigolds planted and could use more. One bad thing about marigolds is they attract spider mites or so the internet claims.

9. Tomato leaves mixed with water and then sprayed over and/or around the plant.

10. Use BT for caterpillars....
    DiPel PRO DF Biological Insecticide