Pest that bites me!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Billysnarf, Sep 26, 2012.

1. OK have an indoor coco grow going.. Lets say I unzip the tent and stick my hands in to get a plant out or move them around etc...

Something is biting me! Afterwards (not every time) my hands would start itching and a little tiny bump(s) like a mosquito (but much smaller) would pop up and itch...

So what do u think its ? I saw a small super tiny insect fly through the air inside the tent last night... Do gnats bite? What about thrip? do spider mites bite?

Anyways I picked up some Spinosad and floramite.. Prob will use the Spinsad first...

Also I have noticed some tears in some leaves, possible from where an insect was having dinner...

Any ideas ,
    - - - - Thanks - Snarf

2. Do thrips bite? I have insects in my garden and they bite too, symptoms are exactly like the OP's. I am almost sure they are thrips, could it be something else?

3. I had thrips last week, I didn't try to get rid of them, but i haven't seen them since. They never bit me, pretty certain they don't bite, they are just tiny little flying bugs ~ imagine a smaller-mosquito without the sting.

4. Mosquitoes need blood to breed, if you smell nice to them, then you will loose some, its the constant itching and the chance that you may catch an exotic disease that troubles many people, in the USA there are about 3500 different types, many people in the south remove lying water from the area to discourage breeding, I do not know of any that breed in soil or potting mix, thats gnats territory. I doubt very much if thrips would be interested in "human" meat, they are way to busy muching on anything else.

http://forum.grasscity.com/blogs/vostok/26678-thrips.html

peace
    "V"

5. Can spidermites bite then? I am between spidermites and thrips, i haven't seen any flying gnats in my garden and there are marks on leaves either caused by thrips or spidermites. As i was inspecting the leaves of my California Dream i saw one of those bastards crawling on my arm, it was very tiny and could barely be seen under the HPS light.

6. maybe your slightly allergic to touching the plants or something else in your tent, I know it sounds crazy but its possible

7. The most common pests would be the gnat but it could be white flies or another insect. Use neem oil when the plants are still kinda young and keep the garden very clean. While it down from time to time and clean the lights and check any filters, if you have them. Pest can come in from outside, so watch your plants that you transport from other environments. Also you can have you house spayed but you don't want to do it near your garden.

8. get some yellow pest strips and see if you can catch them. catch em,id them and then find a way to kill em off.

9. Those fuckers keep biting me everytime i am checking my babies or it could be that i am slightly allergic to something...The other time as i was watering, a flying tiny brown (?) bug came near me and went directly inside the jug of distilled water i use for my babies. It was the first time that i saw one of those fuckers. My garden is a jungle, this does not help the situation. I am also forced to keep the growtent door open the last few days because of 90F temps. Lame...

10. Well I am leaning towards gnats.. I saw something fly through the air... I picked up some Spinosad b/c at first I was thinking thrips.. Anyways I foliar treated with this as I read it kills gnats/ white flies too (could be wrong).. Anyways have not seen anything flying since..

BUT--- I have a nice little garden going so when I goto water and so forth I am sticking my arms into the foliage... My wrists seem to be where I get the itches.. -- maybe my skin is sensitive and getting very small scratches from the foliage that itches like hell!!! I dunno...

11. [quote name='"Billysnarf"']Well I am leaning towards gnats.. I saw something fly through the air... I picked up some Spinosad b/c at first I was thinking thrips.. Anyways I foliar treated with this as I read it kills gnats/ white flies too (could be wrong).. Anyways have not seen anything flying since..

BUT--- I have a nice little garden going so when I goto water and so forth I am sticking my arms into the foliage... My wrists seem to be where I get the itches.. -- maybe my skin is sensitive and getting very small scratches from the foliage that itches like hell!!! I dunno...[/quote]

Those bastards can bite you, you just need to get some fly paper traps and you should be ok if you keep the garden clean.

12. If there is a bug in your grow room that's biting you, it's likely not one of the common cannabis pests (thrips, spider mites, white flies, fungus gnats, etc.). The most likely explanation is that you have a slight allergy. Cannabis leaves are covered in tiny hairs than can absolutely irritate the skin of sensitive people. Same thing with tomato plants, always happens to me when I'm tending my tomatoes. Don't start spraying stuff on your plants until you know for sure that there's a pest that's bothering your plants.

Does anyone else know about your grow? I ask because the best way to test it would be to have another person put their hands inside the tent, rub all the leaves and such, and then see if they have the same reaction. If you do have a bug in there that's biting you, it's probably just coincidence that it's in your grow tent (meaning that it's probably not eating your ganja). But I'm betting it's a mild allergy.

13. Yo I got the same problem! I thought it was this hemp yarn I got from walmart at first. It however never happened before until this grow, I do have tiny thripe like fuckers but they aren't doing shit to my grow. The population is small forsure, I have found only larvae on very low lying fan leaves, I sprayed some garlic soap pepper solution n they seemed to die out, like always tho a few remain to bite me, its not an allergic reaction because I can see the single bite mark where as a reaction would affect an unusual patch of skin not a uniform. I looked up sand flies and it could possibly be them. the small eggs were under leaves. I've always had small bug problems which never affect the grow but now that they are biting im pissed. Other than that peep da calyxs!
    [​IMG]