Pest problem dose any one know what this insect is ?

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by purecheese, Feb 9, 2013.

1. I keep finding this insect in my grow room and in the bath room dose anyone have a clue what this insect is it has not cause any damage to my plants yet

Attached Files:

2. looks like a kind of lady bird. most likely looking for aphids

3. a Kaphra beetle if you ask me.

They eat for instance the foam on the underside of carpets, old seeds and various debris.

The larvae, not the beetles, which don't eat anything.

They are a feared pest but harmless to weed plants.

4. I thought it looked like a lady bird it flys like one but brown with black spots I found 3 in the bath 2 day and 2 in my grow room

5. Do Kaphra beetle fly ?

6. yes they can. seems to be you have a small infestation. They are harmless in small numbers.

look under the carpet in the corners or where it is loose maybe you find some larvae.

7. I keep finding them in the bath room could the larvae be under the bath ? I have birds on the side of the house next to the bath room could the birds bring then in ?

8. Probably doesn't have anything to do with birds. If it is a Khapra beetle then it was most likely drawn in by food. Once they find food they lay eggs near it... something like a single female can lay up to 500 eggs. Yikes. My suggestion, crack down on cleanliness in the areas where you are experiencing beetle infestation. They eat dry food.. so grains... seeds... possibly even dry plant matter. Clean Clean Clean.

9. #9 cRACKm0NKEY, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2013
    What size is it?

Check your rice and cereal :eek:

10. Iv seen them from 1mm to 5mm about come in different sizes I have a pic of one up side down

Attached Files:

11. To me, that just solidifies what keitanakano said. That's about Khapra beetle sized :(

12. Maybe they eat from old bird food remains and even bird feathers.

Are they bothering you? They are not so much going after food like drugstore beetles.

If you keep old bread slices in a bag, and have one drugstore beetle invading through foods, they will multiply to 100s and 1000s after only a few months.

They will be running everywhere.

After a while, spiders will come, feed off them, and pile up the carcasses in corners.

The beetles will spread as well. They can wander 10s of metres.