Pest issue. Any ideas on what these are?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by After the shot, Jul 26, 2017.

1. I'm not sure what these are. Have seen several over the last couple days. They quite possibly could be a good bug but I'm not sure. And these babies can jump. I do have to treat for leaf hoppers on occasion. Actually, the 2 pics look like they could be 2 different insects
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

2. Before I saw the pics I was gonna say spider mites but those are huge. Hope you get the problem taken care of. Get a organic pest control spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. I don't want to kill them if they pose no threat to the plant and eat bad bugs.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

4. Well from the pics it looks like they are damaging your leaves. And to me that throws a red flag.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I see some damage and I disposed of that particular leaf. I see a red flag as well, but still looking for identification. The bug on the leaf actually was about a foot away from the leaf that I took the pic of when I first noticed it.

6. Here's my rule of thumb when it comes u to unknown insects. If theyre crawling around looking for something then I'll leave them alone and assumer they're hunting for prey. If they're sitting still then that means they aren't searching for anything. And if they aren't searching for anything, just sitting on one spot then it usually means they are at their destination eating. Destination for bugs is usually always source of food. Hope that helped. To me they look like some form of aphid

• Like Like x 3
  7. And if u can't find anyone that could identify them for you then always err' on the safe side and kill them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. They look like a beetle aphid hybrid. Both of which are almost always bad lol. You might have to kill them manually. Usually the organic stuff doesn't kill hard shelled bugs like that. Can they fly?

9. I guess your right. I guess it makes sense that they are up to no good. They can find somewhere else to go. I wonder if the 2 together could possibly be mating and setting a nesting sight.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Didn't notice if they fly but the one on the leaf jumped about 3 ft when i went to squish it

11. There's a good chance they are boning and making more undesirables I would deal with it asap

12. Damn yeah if they can jump that fast then it's prob to jump away from predators. Time to go to battle!

13. #13 Flutterbbye, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Here's the guideline I use: if their jaws are pointing out (parallel with the ground), this means the insect is a predator (eats other bugs) and will not eat your plant. If it's Jae's point downward (toward the ground) then they are definitely a pest that will feed on your plant. Looks like they are pointing down in that photo, so get rid of them! I plant marigold all over my garden. They are a fantastic pest repellent!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fighting bug and critters make getting an outdoor plant to harvest a really hard job here. As they mature and load up with resin, it ramps up more. We stick with the indoor setup now for the most part.....not near the hassle! LOL I would get rid of them...if you can.

16. Thanks all. I am going to treat the plant. I was hoping to identify what they so I know what they are and how to treat the plant most effectively. I tried Google image search but had no luck. I purchased some neem oil. Hope it is effective with them. I'll take care of them tonight. Don't want to spray during mid day Sun. Thanks again.

17. You might need some real stuff for those man. They look like hardy bugs. I'd at least spray real chems around perimeter. Like some imidacloprid, acephate or triazicide

18. Lol I just looked at them again. They looked much bigger the first time I saw them. I'd still spray real stuff around perimeter (NOT on plants) or at least granules so there's no drift. Neem should get them if not that then soap.

19. Well, I washed the plants down with Dawn and water, then rinsed twice. Sprayed them down with neem oil. We'll see how that does. Hopefully I'll be good. Put a perimeter of D.E. around each plant to protect them from slugs also, which have also snacking on my girls. Gonna also put out a beer trap to lure them away as well.

• Like Like x 1
  20. If you want you could get some diatomaceous earth. It will kill them because on their level it is like glass. You should be careful not to inhale it because it is smaller than a cell which makes it a lung irritant. If you sprinkle diatomaceous earth around your plant they will die before getting on your plant or upon escape.

• Like Like x 3