Pest control

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ralmoritz, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm growing 1 plant in a cabinet. My plant is in the 3rd week of flowering and the buds are looking great:hello: Unfortunately, the cabinet isn't 100% sealed off, and this morning I noticed a swarm of small flying insects hovering around the base of the stem. I totally freaked out and did a really stupid thing - I sprayed insect repellent around the plant and on the lower leaves :eek:

After doing that I realized how stupid I was, and I'll never do it again. But I have 2 questions for you guys:
    1. How long will it take for the plant to expel the poisons? I don't want to be smoking insecticide!
    2. What can I do to keep the insects away from my plant without harming it?

Also, although most of leaves look healthy and green, 1 of the lower leaves has brown spots/marks on it. (Possibly caused by the insects?) The insects are like small fruit flies. Not sure what exactly they feed off. Do they eat the leaves, or lay eggs in them or something?

TIA,
    Ralph

2. I've never seen this yet, I would assume your plant is in pretty big danger. Spraying the insecticides was a real bad idea. I dont know if the plant is smokeable now from the toxins.

Normally I see "Neem oil" @70%. I dont know if you should now use the neem or wait since insecticides was used.
    There is a sick plants section and alotta good guys are over there that would better help you on this situation.
    I would suggest pics if possible but, I can't give you the advise you need mearly, tell you where you can find out the answer your looking for.

GL

3. from the sounds of it they are just fungus gnats, which are pretty much harmless to the plants, they are capable of damaging roots but rarely do in my experience.. What kind of medium are you growing in?

If you just sorta sprayed a little on the lower water leaves you ought to be ok.. if you got it all over the medium and are now watering it into it, it may not be so ok... ehehhe.. Either way, all you can do now is hope for the best.. good luck!

Oh ya, and if those are indeed fungus gnats, don't trip they aren't going to hurt anything, and the only way I've ever been able to get rid of them is a blast of co2.

4. Thanks guys. I only sprayed a little insecticide on the lower leaves, and after realizing what a stupid asshole I was, I poured water over them. Hopefully they won't soak up the poisons.

I'm growing in potting soil. Do you think the brown spots on the one lower leaf could be something serious? I'll try post some pics tomorrow morning.

5. Half the deficiencies in the book are accompanied by rust blotches on lower older leaves, it's normal for old leaves to get eaten of their mobile nutes and drop, especially in flower, You may just need to feed her a tad more...

6. UPDATE: The fungus gnats or whatever are definitely attacking the roots. Many, many leaves (even higher ones) are now developing significant rust splotches and dying off - even though I'm watering my plant every 2nd day. She's into her 4th week of flowering and the heads are looking healthy. I'm just worried about those damn insects.

Check out some pics of my plant.