Pest Control

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by grayman, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Anyone have recommendations on organic pest control for 3 plants. One os big bud and the other two are white widow crossed with big bud. I am in an area where there is really high humidity so mold is a problem and pests seem to come out by the hundreds. I have anything from spider mites to caterpillars. I just want something organic or as close to it to ward off the pests. When do you usually apply your pest control as well?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. I use Bonide Capt Jack's Deadbug. I use neem oil. Lastly I use GreenCure Fungicide. I do not mix these together. I rotate them and follow the labels to the letter. I don't wait until I have a problem. Once my plants are well into veg I start spraying per the directions (2-4' tall) unless something pops up sooner.

I typically stop spraying after flower. I believe all of these claim to be safe to use on fruits, but better safe than sorry. I'm offering a safe and clean smoking product so I don't like to mess with that.

Additionally I will sprinkle the top of the soil and the area surrounding the plants with food grade diatomaceous earth. This keeps crawling bugs away pretty nicely, but has to be re-applied after rain.

• Like Like x 1

3. @grayman

In descending order of use..
    BT once a week every week for caterpillars
    Green Cure also once a week for Powdery Mildew
    Neem oil
    Spinosad ( captain jack dead bug brew or Monterey )
    [​IMG]
    I'm outside year round in Southern California and the BT and Cure are the two I must use every week without fail.. The rest of natures crawlies and nibblers are self regulating in my garden I've found after 5 years in the same yard..
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  4. Awesome. Don't know how true this is but I've heard caterpillars really hate copper? What about putting a copper ring around plants?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Our trouble come on wings and a copper ring isn't much good.. Each moth can lay 500 eggs in her life and I'll brush dozens out of my bug zapper each morning..
    [​IMG]
    It's low power at just 15 watts and I've cut the grills away so I can brush it clean each day.. It doubles as my monitor on just how bad the moths are and I'll step up my BT spraying to twice a week mid August when the moths are the worst..
    BT is a very short lived biological agent and is quickly destroyed by sunlight and general air exposure so it needs to be applied every week for best results.. It's the weakest agent I can find and still kill the catties that will ruin my crop if left uncontrolled.. I had to toss about 4 lbs of my first grow as the catties crapped all through it and it was full of powdery mildew as well.. Didn't know any better yet..
    BNW

6. lol so many chemicals...
    I do it all with only beneficial insects, trapping, and BT if catapillar issue present.
    Biocontrol (bene insects):
    Stratiolaelaps for soil (controls pupating thrips, diapaused spider mite, root aphids, fungus gnats, etc.)
    Fallacis for leaves (controls spider mite, broad mites, russet mites, etc.)
    That’s it. Introduce them right at the start and they last for life of plant or if you’re growing outdoors then for years and years. Other beneficials available if signs of other pests start, like aphids. but all can be done no problem without pesticides, oils, and soaps.