Personalized LST w/ pic

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Quite Colorful, May 25, 2007.

1. Hey everyone,

Planning a financial and personal stash grow. It's going to be in a 4'x4'-4" closet, and I only have until the end of september. I am moving out after then.

I am planning on LSTing 20 plants, (10 WW, 10 Skunk) but not the usual way. (Check pic) Because access to all plants would be impossible during flowering, I am raising the base of the pots about 3'. The ceiling is about 8'-6", so this shouldn't be a problem. I plan to have horizontal wooden sticks running parralel with the stalks, to tie with.

Once the males have been removed, if I have 50% Fem, resulting in 10 plants, the stalks should be about 5" apart from one another. The plants will be under two 400MH during Veg, and 2 400HPS and one MH during Flower. As you can see in the illustration, they plants will be flowered once they have gone about halfway across the room.

So, there it is. I have no idea if this is a good idea or an awful one. Should be recieving my seeds in less than a week, so we'll see. Any feedback, comments, and especially criticism would be greatly appreciated!

Peace :):smoking:

Attached Files:

2. Sounds like a very thought-out and logical set up. As long as your supports are strong enough, I look forward to your results. Something like this would work great with a tubular aero or NFT set-up - you could just have two tubes running on the edge of the cab...

Good work!:hello:

3. are u just planning on letting them grow on the floor?
    how are u going to support the stems and colas once they go across the room?
    whats that blue and red jargin about?
    good idas tho..
    very thought out
    +rep for creativeness

4. I'm gonna guess that blue is where the MH will be and red is HPS.

5. oh, jeeze im retarted...

6. They will be suspended in the air about 2' or 3'. There will be wooden poles/sticks going along with the stems that are thick enough to support the weight. I'm thinking 1/2" sticks ought to do the trick.

As for supporting the pots themselves, I'm going to build a small frame out of 2x4 and plywood on top, so I don't hear a crash in the night. Under the colas if you can see in the illustration I'm putting down a sheet of mylar on the floor, so any light that doesnt initially hit the plants will reflect back up to be absorbed. Thanks for the responses!

7. Isn't too much light reflecting back towards the undersides of the leaves actually bad? Can anyone else confirm/deny this?

It makes sense because in nature that much light would never be relected back at a MJ...

8. Nor, in nature does abundances of nutes end up in your plants :)

-Mark.

9. Hmmm, I think you will have some challenges trying to get the plants to grow in long single rows like that. Maybe the main stalk, but what about all the side branches? MJ can be trained but it's not a vine.

Why not just LST around the pots you have and let them grow up from there? You have plenty of height, and each plant will bush out and yield better that way.

10. Hey Toasty B,

Thanks for the feeback. I don't really want to LST the regular way because of how small the grow room is. With a typical 3 gallon pot, I would only be able to fit about 7 or 8 plants, and it would be completely filled up. Since this method requires daily access to all of my plants, it would be really out of the way to take half my plants from the grow room every day, tie down branches, put them back, I dunno. Maybe I'm just lazy? lol

You mentioned that it might affect the yield...Would it be real bad? Enough that it would make more sense to have a couple less plants and just tie around the pots? Thank you for your help.

11. I'm just not sure what you intend to do with the branches. Once you have the main stem tied down to go out along the pole you are rigging up, the branches will want to fill the canopy all around not follow the main stem along that pole. So if you tie the branches along the pole as well then it will get very crowded.

I would still advocate using LST to let the plant spread out 360 degrees then let it grow upwards, but who knows, maybe we'll all learn something. Give it a try if you want.

12. Sounds well thought out and id like to see it tried just to compare the yield to the normal LST method DierWolf laid out in his guide,.. but unless you really think this way is going to yield a lot more I cant help but to ask why bother? Sounds like a pain and you don't want to get 1/2 way into it and find it can't be done.

Remember,...
    K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple Stupid :cool:

13. i was thinkin about this ...
    why dont u do a sea of green... just put a screen in there to hold them up... seems like it would be easier than getting little wooden blocks to hold up the stems...
    i dunno man, seems like it would be easier considering ur almost doin it like that anyway...
    know what i mean
    if not its cool cause im high

14. your training method is similar to what i having been doing on my grow but i only have one plant. i tied down the main stem in a straight line and all of the branches off of it too. but like toasty was saying you will be surprised how much room a plant will take up once its tied down, literally its just a big MJ plant that is flattened. my space is bout 24"x28"x4' and from how big this first plant has gotten i only think i can grow two plants in this footprint in this manner. this has led me to think about training a plant similarly but up a wall since my space is 4 feet tall, lot more space.
    day
    anyways heres a pic i drew up real quick. this is an old pic of my plant from day 36. i highlighted the main stem in black and what will be the big branches off of it in light green. the area of the black mesh shown is about 13"x16" just for an idea.

-peace

Attached Files:

15. Toasty B-

I think you've convinced me to explore other options. Maybe I'll go with some bubble buckets and train them the regular way. The only thing is that I will have 20 plants, non feminized, and I can't fit 20 different units in there, but I'll be able to fit all the females I think once that's settled. Any ideas?

420-

I really want to do SOG, but my time is limited, and I don't think I'd have enough time to grow out my plants till flower, pick out the females, root me some clones, force veg them for a couple weeks, then flower for a month or two. Is there any way to expediate this process? Is it imperative that SOG be done with clones? (Pretty sure that's a stupid question.) I have 4 months exactly before I have to vacate my current residence, would this actually be enough time to get everythign in order and grow SOG?

Thanks again guys!

16. You can sog straight from seed if you want, just veg for only 2-3 weeks then flip to 12/12. Some would say it's kind of a waste of money to buy genetics for that approach, but I think it's fine if you have a quick turnaround and want to maximize your yield in that short timeframe.

17. Hmm even more to think about! I got my seeds today! So props to amsterdam marijuana seeds for hooking those up in less than 3 weeks. Theyre all happily germinating now, starting a grow journal tomorow night most likely, so if anyones interested check it out. :wave:Thanks for all the ideas guys, totally digging the positive flow.

PEACE! :smoke: