Perseverance rover lands on Mars

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Possuum, Feb 18, 2021.

1. this is great news for humanity. this rover, which is about the size of a small car, has such advanced scientific equipment that it's like having a lab staffed with humans working on mars. this rover also has a helicopter drone with HD video, and audio which is a first time in history of other planet exploration. the precision nature of the landing was equated to a person in NY throwing a dart and landing a bullseye in DC without being able to see the target! NASA landed it exactly where they wanted it to be right on the X. just amazing. utube will have some great replays and real time simulations.

there will be humans living and working on mars in less than 10 years i'm guessing. with all the crap going on with our planet it's nice to know the human race likely has a future for living on another planet.

pretty kewl!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. So is this the same studio lot the moon landing was shot at, or are they in a different place in Burbank?

• Funny Funny x 5
  3. ...but still a silly way to land ...why use rockets when a chute is just as good

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. it might have been moved to OZ (australia) as someone wants us to believe the planet is "red" haha. anyway it's looked at - fake or real - it was a heck of a production.

idk about others but iirc i recall that mars has always been said to be "uninhabitable" for life. now we know mars has an atmosphere of mostly CO2 and clouds, which means mars has moisture. CO2 produces O2 once the C has been removed and the science guys already know how to do that. i learned today that NASA knows mars has liquid aquifers 12m - 15m under the surface and the spot in the crater the rover landed in is supposed to be at a confluence of old, now dried up river systems where NASA says, (sic) "if there is or was biological life on mars we're going to find proof of it right where we landed" .

eight countries have already landed on mars previously, china and the UAE are landing their own rovers there this week. there is a lot of interest in the world to get to mars and set up shop. i can't blame em for looking for a new planet to live on as our current rock has too many people on it imo :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Humans can run but we can’t hide.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Definitely cool for sure what's happening, but less than 10 years humans living there? On a planet which atmosphere's is completely different to ours? That's a stretch, they'll have to build some kind of a Mars base beforehand, that'll obviously take some time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. are you familiar with Robert Bigelow? he's hugely invested in lunar and mars exploration and habitats in space.

Bigelow Aerospace

and Lockheed is definitely on the move

Mars

maybe 10 years is ambitious but earth humanity will be walking on mars in a decade or two. imo one of the most misleading stories the public has been fed about mars is; the planet is "red", the planet has no atmosphere, the planet has no water, and humans can't survive on mars.

there are clouds on mars, the planet is not red, there's water underground, and O2 can be produced from CO2. i would take a one-way ticket (prefer round trip) but i cant imagine taking 3 earth years to travel to mars. we need better propulsion systems.

i eagerly anticipate the new findings of Perseverance.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Ill Go to Mars you don't gotta Ask Me Twice when we leaving? Nice thread Tho Possuum its Pretty Amazing That we can do this an see what another Planet Looks Like.

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
  9. i agree T. the prospect of doing so for some select few looms in the future. and if not, i'll settle on pics and vids taken by robots of the whole adventure. i think it's an incredible feat and given the day-to-day existence here on earth these days it's inspirational to see what can be accomplished when people from all walks of life and family history can come together as a team and accomplish such an amazing project.

keep your eyes to the skies!

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Soon as I light this Doobie ..no bother with the countdown.. I've done my doobie training ..lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. I am not, I definitely check him out! Thanks for the pointer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. not to take away from the discussion on Mars but Bigelow is an enigmatic type rarely given to non-company related public appearance. his Aerospace company makes habitable structures for residing in space.

Bigelow was the former owner of Skinwalker Ranch and spent millions $'s of his own money conducting research there for at least a decade. Skinwalker Ranch is a very special place. heres a brief interview with he and Lara Logan in 2017. Bigelow is kind of like a modern days Howard Hughes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Elon musk can bore tunnels. I dont think elon musk wants to lift a boring machine and land it though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. #15 Possuum, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    have you seen a tunnel boring machine? iirc this one was in operation in the late 90's.

it's nuclear powered and using heat turns the walls of the tunnel into thick ceramic. it's said that tunnel systems run from coast to coast and criss cross all over the US. high speed rail systems, and large enough to drive tractor trailers through.

9d6e0016d99ffc69ffffc0d18082f653.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Yeah I know. Best method for habitat would be to bore tunnel and seal the end to create a livable space. Only other option would be inflatable structures but that requires bringing them. Its not happen in our lifetime unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1

16. i think they're designing inflatable and adjoining sections. that's one of the many things Bigelow does is design and manufacture liveable modules for low earth orbit space use. i understand NASA had considered inflatable quarters for the lunar surface but at the time they were concerned about small debris impacts causing catastrophic damage and officially abandoned the idea when they abandoned going to the moon. but the work continues.

I'd sure feel a lot better about mars if i saw palm trees and sandy beaches. it doesn't appear to be user friendly on the surface.

edit: and i really think the interest in space and extra-planet exploration is strictly for exploitation of minerals, and a general curiosity of the human mind. it probably is unrealistic to think we'll be setting up shop on nearby rocks with the technology of today. we just cant get back and forth timely or efficiently.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. the rover team hasn't offered a detailed explanation for what we're looking at but it's interesting eh? this is one of the first images of many to come from 135 million miles away.

panoramic-Mars-4.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Pretty soon the US team is going to fly a helicopter in Mars. It is the space geek equivalent of the Wright Brothers' 120 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. i found this interesting. almost none of the rocks have sharp edges which might indicate water erosion and/or wind erosion. looks pretty bleak but there's definitely an atmosphere.