Perpetual growth

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by JHerrer Fan, Jan 16, 2013.

1. I'm new here. Got my first set going. Been reading a lot and was wondering what would be the concept behind perpetual grow set ups.

What/when do things have to be done.

2. Google or search the site 'perpetual grow', there is a ton of info all over this site and the internet of how to set up a perpetual grow. no one is going to write out everything you need to know when the info is easily found on your own.

3. Ok. I've googled lots but mainly get "perpetual grow set up" but nothing saying exactly when I should clone or germinate a seed.

4. perpetual setups are useful, especially if the flowe rnad veg. chambers are in different areas, ie the veg is under the stairs like anne frank while your flowers are in the back yard.

5. There are countess threads and grow journals pertaining to perpetual grows right here on GC.

6. HEY SHIVA

how did those northern lights impress you?

curious

7. Again. I know there are threads but almost all about someone's set up. Sheesh. I'm asking to clear two simple questions.

Just wondering when should I germinate a seed to keep the perpetual grow going.

I've read mixed reviews and would like others opinion. Telling me to google something I said I already googled doesn't help :(

Also, I was told giving a female 12/12 light it will turn mother and keep vegging. But I was also told to change to 12/12 to begin flowering. Which is it?

8. #8 Shiva Blaster, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
    Was quite impressed actually, very nice tasting smoke....just finished smoking some a few minutes ago actually, I've got a half ounce or so left still. I did full reports on the different phenos I got in the smoke report section if you want to have a look there. There is also a link at the end of my journal.

To the OP: you questions depend on what style of growing you are doing and the #/size of plants you are running. You plan you next round of plants based on the state of your flowering plants.....if your flowering plants are going to be ready in 4 weeks for example, and you want to veg your seed/clones for three weeks before putting them to flower, then you would plan on cloning/germinating in the next few days. It will take practice and knowledge of the strains you are growing to get the timing perfect.

9. And most perpetual grows involve keeping mother plants and using clones rather than starting from seed every time. From seed you never know what you are going to get so it makes it very hard to plan the stages of your grow.

10. Oops, quoted the wrong post back there...this was the post i was referring to when mentioning my Northern Lights grow.

11. here's the basics:

I have two areas, a veg space, and a flowering closet. I grow the plants out till they're as big as I want them, then I put them into flower. While they're in there for 2-3 months, I start some more plants in the veg. Once the flowering plants are finished, my plants are big enough to throw into the closet.

If I really wanted to, I could have a bigger veg area and take clones off the mother. I have a great clone source and love trying different strains tho, so I'm happy just picking a few up every month or two.

12. The bolded statement is incorrect, and frankly makes no sense. When you switch to 12/12 the plant starts flowering.

As far as a "perpetual grow" it just refers to keeping a flowering room going at all times. For instance, you start a 1 seed per week in your veg area. Once it hits (whatever really, but for the sake of this) 1 week of growing start another, then a week later start another, then a week later start another.... See how it goes? Then after a month (or however long you want to veg them.

So after say 4 weeks of veg you want to flower. At week 4 you'd move that plant to flower, and start another seed. Then you'll have a seedling, a 1 wk old plant in veg, 2 week, 3 week, and the oldest at 4 weeks now in flower. Basically once you get to the end of flower you end up with 1 plant per week. You just start a plant once a week or whatever so that once it's all started you continuously have a plant ready to harvest every week, and start a new seed. You can do this various ways, do 2 at a time, 4 at a time, just depends on your area, lights, etc. Basically it just ensures that each week you'd have a plant to harvest. Then when you harvest that plant move one to flower, and start another seed.

Basically its a good way to get weed all the time and not have 20 plants to deal with all at once. Instead you can do 1 at a time and keep a "perpectual havest" going. Hope that helps.

13. Thanks all for awesome replies. I read em all.

I like the idea of starting seeds every few week while picking some clones here and there and try some sort of weekly growth but my tent is only 4x2 and its a bit tough. I have another 6x8 space and another 1000w mh/hps sitting there but too much junk taking up space :(

Ill think of a work around. Maybe a container with CFL's for vegging and the. Tent for flowering.

14. If you consider how much a storage unit costs vs how much more weed you'd get by utilizing that 6x8 area, you may find it's worth spending a little cash...

15. It's for personal use and its not going to be consistent at the moment. Right now my set up can be tucked into a 4x4 box. I need that ability.

16. I prefer a regular grow myself. I'd just assume harvest everything at once. If you have 2 growing areas you could always veg, then move to flower, and about a month (or longer if you want them bigger) before the flowering plants are ready start your seeds so that when you finish flowering you move your vegging plants straight to flower. Technically a perpetual grow as well. The first one I mentioned is more of the traditional perpetual though. The bonus of doing a plant a week is that you usually keep enough room as all your plants are different sizes and you can move them around pretty easily. I'm not a fan of having something going all the time though. I plan on trying to do 2 grows a year and hopefully grow enough to have it all year round. The bonus to that is that the longer it cures the better it gets usually, so I like the idea of cutting, drying, and curing all at once rather than having to do a new plant each week. With the one plant a week you'll also have to consider you'll have to dry/cure it as well and that takes more time and they will always be the same. If you grow it all at once you'll be able to let most of it cure longer as you'll only take what you need.

17. Yea. But there's no way I'm doing a plant a week. I got room for 3-4 plants total.

Area I'm working with now is 4x2

18. I hear you, but you asked how it was done. It doesn't have to be 1 a week. It can be 1 every month. If you only have room for 3 or 4 plants I don't see how you're planning on a perpetual grow then. Your best bet is doing the 4 plants then starting more when they're done. Doesn't seem like your space is practical for a perpetual.

19. What I'm thinking is to do a container veg area with CFL's outside that area but I'm not sure how much space I need to consistently have 1 plant a month

20. Honestly, that partially depends on the strain whether it gets tall/short or whatever. Out of curiosity what are you trying to accomplish? It seems like just growing 3 or 4 plants (however many you can fit in your area) would be a smarter move than doing a plant each month.

Look at it like this. If you do 1 plant a month after 4 months you'll have a smokeable plant (assuming 1 month veg, 2 month flower, and 1 month dry/cure). So after 4 months of growing you'll have 1 plant done. and 2 others coming along, and another about to finish. Plus you have to use all the extra electricity to run 2 lights which means more $.

If you just did 4 plants like you said you have room for, then after 4 months you have 4 plants worth and can turn off your lights until you need more saving $.

If you are set on having a separate area though you may just look into having a mother plant and cloning it as you want to, then at some point just flower the mother if it starts getting big and take a cutting and use that as the mother. Might work for what you're trying to do.