Perpetual Auto Closet Grow

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Han-Bolo, Mar 11, 2019.

1. #1 Han-Bolo, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Looking to maximize the space and efficiency of my grow closet. So far nothing special just some budget LEDs and an exhale bag or two. I thought I would post the "remodel" on here in the hopes of gaining some beneficial feedback along the way.

Closet dimensions are 7.5ft deep by 5ft wide and 8ft tall. It has two shelves on either side that are 2.5ft from the ceiling and about 1 ft deep. I will have about 4 feet of shelving on both sides I can access for growing, taking the main grow space into consideration.

On one shelf I have a 4ft T5 LED fixture with 2 30w full spectrum bulbs. This will be my first stage of the grow room for germination/first 2.5 weeks of veg.

The other shelf I plan on using 2 QB128s to cover the 4ftx1ft area. This will be weeks 2.5-5. I will be LST' heavily to keep the plants as short as possible and to get as many tops going as possible.

The main grow area of the closet will be a 5ftx5ft area backing up to the wall, leaving me a 2.5ftx4ft hovel for me and my little roller seat. I have a quantum board with 4 QB288s and a 480w driver I will use for the 5x5 which will be the final stage of the grow process. By the time I transition a set of plants down to the first row, it should be about time for the "flower stretch", which will be ok at that point because I wont be restricted on height. This final stage will allow the plants to be there for up to 10 weeks(weeks 6-15) only being moved one row down every 2.5 weeks until harvest.

I have an LG 8000 BTU portable AC and a 6in carbon filter along with a humidifier and dehumidifier. Room stays between 72-77 degrees and 42% humidity. I have 2 exhale Co2 bags. Also, I plan on running 24 hours of light.

With this game plan I'll be harvesting at least every 2 weeks.

Any feedback, ideas, or suggestions??

-Han
    Sent from my SM-G892A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  2. Depends on strain I would suggest just getting a cabinet or small tent and using ur entire area u have for flower then you can grow photoperiod strains if you want save on power even more and u can clone them and not pay for seeds ever again got this cabinet for free and added lights and fans

Attached Files:

3. I like wire racks for shelving. Might as well let as much light pass thru as possible. I like the idea and am following along! Thinking of the same thing pretty much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 2.5 feet is doable I was planing on doing it but u need to train like ya said these are all
    Under 2.5 feet but lights are at 3.5-4 plus filter is near the top so u need extra room on height it won’t hurt in case u end up growing a big one lol

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. So Im gonna wait to do a perpetual set up for after my vacation. I have just enough time to get one good grow in. Im waiting on the 65W boards for the shelf, they should be in on Tuesday. My seeds should be in any day now also so almost ready. I mixed up a live organic soil today as I plan not to feed any nutes, gonna keep it 100% organic. The plan is to do a full grow start to finish under the 550 V2 as well as the 2 65s on the shelf. Ill keep my ladies in 1 gals on the shelf and in 3 gals on the ground.

Mr. green I wish I could use more space but im limited to the closet only. I thought about finding a way to seal of the shelves and use that for veg and main space for flower. I could Top and train the plants super short and bushy for a few weeks, throw them into flower and let them stretch and bud up. Still would need to figure out what to do about a mother plant area.

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6 Mrgreen420!, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Don’t need a mother just keep Cloning off
    Ur plants I took my last 4 big ones inthe pic durimg flower so during the stretch
    I found clones locally which helped my seeds that went to flower sucked compared to my clones
    Or get a tent inside ur room
    Also I would consider gettin hps lights u have air conditioning a 600 watt hps is awesome 1000 and ur rocking I’ve never used a quantum board but if u can control the heat can’t go wrong with hps
    Also as far as organic u can get organic nutes
    So good the bears will eat them don’t ask how I know lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. #7 Han-Bolo, Mar 17, 2019
    the big board I have is the equivalent of a 1000w HPS/MH and the ones I'm waiting on will each be similar to a 200w fixture.

8. #8 Mrgreen420!, Mar 17, 2019
    It’s my understanding that u need 35 watts actual draw per square foot for the quantum boards 50 for hps and blurple leds for decent yields
    I’m going hps next fall winter when ur gets cold again so I can use outside air to cool my grow area

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nice and clean watch for hot spots and mold behind the silver film I would just go white walls with a good coat of paint white is 90 percent reflective lol white and ply wood is best if ya can dry wall can and will mold given right conditions
    And carpet scares me but I’m a messy guy lol

• Like Like x 2
  10. I'll be running like 31.25 watts per sq ft in the main area and I'll be running 32.5 watts per sq ft up on the shelf. And I think those numbers may be for like the v1 boards, I'm on the v2s and they're supposed to be a little more efficient.

• Like Like x 1
  11. the mylar sheets are velcroed to the walls which are painted white lol. Whenever I clean the room I undo the mylar so that I can wipe down the walls behind.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alright I had to step it up a little bit to meet Mr Greens 35 watts per sq ft standard. I had the old lights just sitting around so I figured why not . Now I have 56.25 watts of LED per sq ft ! Screenshot_20190317-152601_Gallery.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Nice more light equals
    Better yields usually

14. Update on the closet build/grow. I moved the blurples to my other indoor fruits and vegetable garden because they put off way too much heat. Looking to add some supplemental reds to the main grow area eventually. I mounted the 65w boards above the shelf directly to the ceiling because I needed all the space i could get!! I added an air purifier/hepa filter with an ionizer and moved some of the equipment around. Went ahead and ducted the AC into the attic. I have my carbon filter scrubbing into the room so I'm not loosing cool air. Its getting hot here so I need to keep this room as cool as possible. I sealed up the door and added a vent with a 4 inch duct booster to bring in fresh cool air to compensate for the slight negative pressure from the AC unit exhausting out of the room. So I guess my room would be a semi sealed environment lol?? Temps and humidity have been extremely consistent. I'm happy with the set up. I did also convert another closet for drying. Tested it out and it stayed in the low 70s and around 50% humidity.
    20190502_212557.jpg 20190502_212503.jpg 20190502_212510.jpg 20190502_212859.jpg 20190502_212903.jpg 20190502_213203.jpg 20190502_213300.jpg 20190502_213222.jpg 20190502_213228.jpg IMG_20190424_213901_710.jpg IMG_20190411_142311_343.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. So I'm re thinking my rotation and 3 weeks between each row is too long. It would put my final row at 15-18 weeks which is too much for autos. I've cropped most of mine between week 12 and 15 from seed. If I go 2 weeks for each row it wont be enough for slower strains. I've decided to go with 2.5 weeks in each row before they rotate to the next. That puts my final row at weeks 12.5-15 which is perfect.