perlite?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Ms.NatureFaerie, Mar 25, 2009.

1. OK so I have read many threads and some talk about perlite so I was wondering how necessary it is? I am about to start up a small soil grow and have no idea if I should get this stuff or not. I would rather not purchase it if I can get away with it, but I will if needed ;)

So...?

2. its not ABSOLUTELY necessary, but its definitely a good investment. and its cheap.

it holds moisture, so the soil doesnt dry out as fast.
    it makes the soil lighter [fluffier] so the roots can penetrate better, with less effort.
    if you use expencive soil like FF it allows you to use less soil, which means less money

possibly other benefits too

• Like Like x 1
  3. I like perlite. without it your soil will hold onto water too long. the top might look dry but your plant would be sitting on a sponge of wet soil.

Im sure you can grow without it, but it is a nice addition to soil for drainage.

4. the main purpose of perlite is to provide more air to your root-zone. it's pretty porous, so it will provide some (but not much) help in keeping your medium moist. vermiculite is used for holding moisture. i highly recommend using perlite, especially in soil.

• Like Like x 1
  5. id defo get some perlite into your soil mix, 75% soil 25% perlite is what i run, my plants havnt complained about it yet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. More than anything, getting oxygen to the root zone is the best use of perlite. While plants love co2, roots equally love oxygen. It's good for drainage, plus you get more mileage out of a bag of soil. Good luck with your project!

7. Thanks all! Do they sell this stuff in common stores or will I need to hunt down a specialty grow shop in my area?

8. you should be able to find it at lowes or most any other garden center

9. A small bag will run you less than $4 at stores like Lowes or Home Depot. I use a mix of 50% soil and 50% perilite/vermiculite.

10. If your using soil, you really really should use perlite. It's $5 at Lowes or Home Depot, even Kmart or Walmart, mix it in the soil until it looks like a shaken snow globe, like 25-30%. It adds drainage and loosens the soil. Without it your soil will be like mud and your roots won't be able to breath or grow well. You can also add vermiculite if your feeling good about adding stuff, and worm castings (which aren't always easy to find). Trust me, a half hour of mixing time and ten extra bucks will make a world of difference to your grow. I keep a few bags here at all times. Watch this video [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9YFlmmRenY&feature=related"]YouTube - how to grow marijuana at home-part 1[/ame] it will give you a really good idea of what to do, albeit it's on a grand scale. However you can scale it down to fit your individual needs:):) Hope it helps:)
    ps. Watch it on youtube, since this video only shows part 1.

11. Just watch out for Miracle Gro perlite, they add time-released ferts to that too...

12. are you shittin me??? who's running that operation??? they should be fired!!!