Perlite/Lava Rock question

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by 9meti, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Does the perlite and/or lava rock just go at the bottom of the pot to prevent root rot? I also see some people put it on the top soil. Why is this? Do some people just mix it in with the rest of the soil or is it layered? Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

2. Perlite, lava rock, and other types are used to support the plant in DWC, to hold it up, to allow the roots to hang thru or dangle in the DWC solution, hippies, or organic growers use the same perlite or lava rock in there soils to prevent the soils crushing the roots, compaction, yes I'm a hippy sorry won't happen again.....lol

3. So it's used on the top and bottom of the soil? If I use regular soil mixed with some kelp meal, greensand, bone meal, and some other stuff would that be bad? How does it usually work to add all those nutrients in the organic way? I want to grow organic and not have to rely on chemicals and such.

4. Perlite is used again to reduce root compaction, so is mixed in I prefer between 30 - 50% depending how 'toxic'(nuted supplied) the potting mix or soils are.

Lava I like to place medium to large lava rocks in the base of the aero pot, as an aid to shed unwanted water quickly, needed mostly later in the season, 

both are Ph or substrate (?) neutral to the plant, meaning harmless, won't burn or hurt the plant

Most important with organics is not to harm or burn your plant with too much food, for this reason look into 'teas'

5. How do I know how much nutes to put in say a 65 gallon pot?

6. Nutes not soils, this depends on your type of soils or growing matter, but many do burn there plants so take it very very easy, 1/4 of what the bottle says

7. All the stuff I'm looking at comes in bags, not bottles. It's kelp meal and things like that. Not liquid. Are liquid nutes better?

8. no... just easier to control

9. Many growers use extra drainage in the bottom of the pots to avoid soggy soils at the bottom.  If you use 30% or more of drainage amendments in your mix this is not necessary, you will have enough drainage for a good soil mix.  Some people use perlite on the tops of their pots to try to control fungus gnats.  If you water properly, you don't have to worry about gnats in your grow and this is not necessary.

You need to read the link below for soil mix recipes for organic growing, it will explain how to use the dry fertilizer amendments.  If you are using 65 gal pots you will need over 9 cubic feet of soil mix to fill the pot.  You would add 2 cups of dry fertilizer amendment mix for each cubic foot of soil mix.

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1116550-easy-organic-soil-mix-beginners.html

PW

10. Hi 9meti. Thanks for dropping by and welcome to the Organics Forum - you've certainly come to the right place.

Pointswest have you very sound advice in directing you to the "Organic Soil Mix for Beginners" thread - it is an excellent starting point for any new organic gardener and I highly recommend it.

Most of us here construct our own potting soil mixes, mixes that contain absolutely everything needed for your plants to thrive; to grow from start to finish without the need for any bottled nutrients - everything is in the soil itself. We simply make sure that everything needed is added and mixed into the soil beforehand and allow the plant and soil microbes to decide what nutrition it needs and when it needs it. All we need to generally do is to keep the soil moist with water. Just water.

The thread that Pointswest linked you to will help to show you a basic soil recipe so that you know how much of this or that to add to the mix - basic ratios.

We rely on soil microbes; bacteria and fungus that start out in our compost and vermicompost (worm castings) components. These two items are THE heart and soul of any organic garden, this it is imperative to find and use the very best that you can find. The quality of these two items can mean the difference between a good garden or a mind-blowing garden, so think hard about these two items before you buy anything.

Read the thread. Start asking questions. Understand some basics of how this works and talk to folks here in the organics forum - then put together a list with the ratios you are planning on using and get some opinions - there are many fine gardeners here ready and willing to help a new organic gardener out.

Again - welcome.

J