Perception is reality

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by FatDutchie, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Ok, So here it is. Perception is reality, what you think is. Everyone on this planet has a different reality they see the world in a different way yet they see the same world as I. If someone believes that they are talking to god, you can not tell them they are not because they believe they are. People have convinced themselves of complete lies yet they are able to pass a polygraph test with ease. Why? Because in there reality/world they are convinced that, that is the truth.

2. Straight truth up in hurr.

3. Very happy to see this post. Many people around me dont understand this concept, for somereason this topic is not largely understood.

4. levels of consciousness

5. perhaps you should clarify what you mean by "reality"

6. perhaps your over-thinking reality? Because reality is you.

7. Yes i suppose your definition of reality differs from mine. I consider reality to be a "set in stone", ultimate truth, without bias or opinion, what actually is. I consider reality to always be...real..as in, it always is..we just percieve reality differently than it really is. Subjective vs. Objective...reality is always the way it is, we just dont always(or perhaps ever)see it for what it really is.

8. #8 Rayban, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2012
    you: perception is reality
    me: what do you mean by reality?
    you: reality is perception

i'm not "over-thinking," i'd like to examine your claim but, without your more clearly defining what you mean, it's impossible. seems to me you're not really making a philosophic statement but really just playing with words, idk

9. Its just a shame you cant understand what I'm trying to say.

10. Can reality be defined?
    The way you perceive your existence is your reality. Reality is your perception of your existence. Two ways of saying the same thing. Change your perception, change your reality. It's simple, not complicated.:smoke:

11. There's an individual reality as seen by a single person, and a consensus reality that contains details a majority of folks can agree upon.

I went through a psychosis for a few years. Made my reality pretty interesting - though now I don't really know who I am.

12. #13 ChillFave, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
    I think this too. But I think it's more than just believing complete lies... think about it, the only two things sure to be created in a growing society are language and religion; one to communicate and one to explain, a science. So if everybody's science is different, then they are all complementary to one another in some way. It's all the same experience to the same goal: divinity.

13. #14 Rayban, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2012
    >asks if reality can be defined
    >defines reality

anyways, you're working with a different definition of the word reality than me so there's no real disagreement here

14. If someone is trying to drink a table what reality do they inhabit? Perceive as you wish but there's no point getting existentialist about it - the reality you're viewing subjectively is objective. If there is only subjective truth in reality and everything is as you perceive then I'd ask why people who try to leave their 20th story apartment via the window rather than the door always end up dead?

15. Perception is perception. Reality is reality.

16. Yup, we can't know what the world truely is because every creature has a different perception, our perception of things is just our reality

17. Perception is not reality.

There are all kinds of things in reality, that are going right in front of our senses, that we can not perceive

The senses we perceive reality with are lacking.
    We see only a very small percent of the light that reality has in it.
    We hear only a small percent of the sound spectrum.
    And so on and so on.

It's possible perhaps, that we can indirectly perceive some things that our senses can't not actually sense.
    You can not see the big black bird flying across the dark night sky, but you may surmise its presence by the stars it blots out.
    Waves of stuff we can not perceive must be criss-crossing our perceptions all the time, blotting out little bits of what we think of as reality.
    That is a more interesting concept, to me, than what the exact nature of reality is.

To make a long story short: We simply do not have the right tools to understand the nature of reality.

MindSlinger

18. Word.

19. you could get more complicated with that though. someone could believe their reality is a game with limitations and rules, like the 'brain in a vat' theory. there are experiences of constant fear from government abduction that plays an active role in a person's life even though the threat is never real. Rationality is dependent upon experience. Reality should be discovered, not defined.