@ People who believe in souls

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by imadamnlegend, Jul 17, 2012.

1. 1. Does a soul exist before you are born?

2. What happens to the soul on death?

I always used consider myself a spiritual atheist, but the alternative view of considering yourself as the mere sum of neurotransmitters and neurotransmissions just seems a lot more rational to me now. Before we're born we don't exist either physically or consciously (hence the nothingness before you were born), and when we die we also do not exist consciously, and hence there is simply nothing after death because your brain ceases to function.

In the grand scheme of everything (natural selection, simplistsic behaviour of animals 'below ourselves') this seems more logical to me.

2. The soul is created at the moment of conception and hos to heaven or hell when you die.

And you cant be a spiritual atheist

3. I think the "soul" is just your subconscious that has always existed and always will in parallel universes..it's like we're a computer and our subconscious is the Internet..just because the computer dies does t mean all the information it had access to is lost

4. ....why not? One can believe in a universal life force and not be religious.

How is all the sub-conscious linked? Why can't we all access it? Is there any evidence of this?

5. The physical body and spiritual body are two different forms of consciousness in my opinion. Like when we sleep versus being awake.

I believe the soul goes to its body before birth. I wonder if the soul can leave the body before death. Not permanently of course.

I believe in the soul controls the body from the heart. Conscious memory should not be a factor in your veiws on the soul.

I think the soul runs the electrical system in the body. Its just energy and if energy cannot be created or destroyed where does our electrical energy go after death?

6. There is no physical body as such - it is simply a denser aspect of the spirit, and the experiences we have while 'in it' are all subjective and internal, appearing to be objective and external for the purposes of experiencing this thing we call life.

What we see that gets left behind after death, is our version of what we believe it is. It has no bearing on the consciousness that inhabited it while it lived.

7. Soul is conciousness, conciousness is god, god is soul, soul is all. The only thing that exists is soul. So soul got lonely.
    Soul created cosmos, space and time etc, and put itself in all things. "The" soul is in every different physical manifestation, I am the soul, you are the soul, you're 2nd cousin is the soul. Different physical appearances, different egos, different brain chemistry all to create the illusion that we are separate, which makes us not feel lonely which is the aim of this thing you call the cosmos.

Basically the only thing that exists is god, god is a schizophrenic, we are each one of his multiple personalities.

That's just my theory.

8. [quote name='"didier12"']Soul is conciousness, conciousness is god, god is soul, soul is all. The only thing that exists is soul. So soul got lonely.
    Soul created cosmos, space and time etc, and put itself in all things. "The" soul is in every different physical manifestation, I am the soul, you are the soul, you're 2nd cousin is the soul. Different physical appearances, different egos, different brain chemistry all to create the illusion that we are separate, which makes us not feel lonely which is the aim of this thing you call the cosmos.

Basically the only thing that exists is god, god is a schizophrenic, we are each one of his multiple personalities.

That's just my theory.[/quote]

Very good one :)

9. I believe in souls and souls do exits. They were created by God before us.

10. Stuff like this really isn't helpful... A further explanation of why you believe this to be the case would be helpful:)

11. the soul has always exsisted and always will, its one of those things you cant comprehend because as a living human we cant comprehend not being bound by time, it is the illusion that bounds us to this world.

12. Or are we all pieces of one unified soul?

13. Err yes you can. Atheism is the rejection of mainstream religion and belief in God.

Hell atheism and spiritualism almost go hand in hand.

As to the original question:

Your soul is elsewhere. Not concious of this world. It goes back there once the shell dies. Probably in an endless cycle.

14. [quote name='"Helikaon"']

Err yes you can. Atheism is the rejection of mainstream religion and belief in God.

Hell atheism and spiritualism almost go hand in hand.

As to the original question:

Your soul is elsewhere. Not concious of this world. It goes back there once the shell dies. Probably in an endless cycle.[/quote]

Isn't atheism the rejection of the after life? Like anti-theism? God can be anything, like the dude who said God Is the soul, if atheism is just against mainstream religion then a hell of a lot theist like me are atheist.

But anyway I believe our soul is like God in us, even though I believe for god to be omnipresent, I think we are separated through our universes laws of physics, and that after death we switch to the realm of being inside of gods being, an absolute state of peace..after letting go of our human desires

15. Most atheists I meet are naturalists, meaning they don't believe in anything beyond the physical and deny the existence of anything immaterial. I find it a little silly for some to claim this for consciousness itself is immaterial, but each to their own I suppose.

OP-
    My opinion on it is that god is infinite consciousness, and when a human is born they are a small snippet taken from the whole to experience itself subjectively.

So yes, I'd say soul had existed prior to physical birth, but was just a part of the whole and not an individual soul waiting to be born.

I believe the soul is put to rest, as if asleep waiting to be awoken at a later time.

16. I'm not sure how to feel about it, but I once flatlined after an accident, and had no clue that I did, it was like i was sleeping the whole time and dreaming, I can definitely remember alot of talking in the darkness, sort of scary whenever I think about it.

Anybody else ever been in a situation where they had to be revived, idk for sure but I think it could be the closest thing to the "afterlife".

17. Do other animals have souls, or are we just like them but with increased intelligence, so we create these things to adapt to our world and give us meaning because without these things I'm afraid we're boiled down to nothing but extremely intelligent animals, that have adapted well to their habitat.

18. Everything is spirit, so everything is more than its physical appearance. Animals are just like us, and we are just like them.

19. Animals are also the soul, looking at my friends cat and seeing it as me was one of the main things that sparked my theory that I posted earlier in this thread.

20. Is the soul in our body ours or is somebody's else? Also do we keep that soul forever?