People of the Mafia

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sandwichman, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Do you find the mafia men to be business men or criminals? Some of their enterprises harm few people like gambling, but they are known to murder and extort right? Definitely an interesting group of people imo. Discuss mafia

2. being 1/2 sicilian i know this story all too well,,lol,,yea they extort very well,,i go every summer to visit my grand parents and theres this brand new hospital there that has never been used in over 10 years cause the mafia wants too much money to keep it going,,in fact theres not a single buisness there that doesnt have a mafia tie or else there would be no buisness and if you try to get one going without going through em your shit will be blown up,,no joke,,my mother is the sicilian and shes told me countless stories.

3. They are criminals who also have legitimate businesses. Most of the old mob "families" are not what they once were. They bribed the police, politicians, judges, and controlled a number of unions. Many businesses had to pay "protection", which was extortion.

I heard a good story in a downtown NYC bar, some years ago. This bar had been paying protection for years. One day a big guy came in and got very nasty. He had a walking stick with him, and outside the bar he beat a customer that he'd had a disagreement with earlier, but it happened outside and nobody saw who did it, so he couldn’t be arrested and charged. A few days later he shows up again, and gets into an argument with another customer. The bouncer hits him over the head with a chair, and he goes to the hospital. In a day or two, an anonymous message arrives at the bar, with a threat. The owner of the bar told the guys that he'd been paying protection to about the recent events. They told him not to worry about it. Two of the enforcers bought some flowers and went to see the assailant in the hospital, and broke his ankle. Another threat was sent to the bar. They went back and broke the other ankle. No more threats, and they never saw him again.

4. The mafia is a black market government. The only thing they're missing is the badge.

5. i agree with that,,seems like a very good way to describe the mafia in easiest/quickest way.