Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

People in the 60's and 70's smoked differently

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Revolution, Jul 16, 2009.

1. My boyfriend and his doctor (pro-marijuana usage) got into an interesting discussion. My boyfriend had a lung condition where bubbles formed around the outside of his lungs. This was caused by his larynx splitting. Anyways, he asked his doctor if bubbles outside of the lungs were caused by anything else.

His doctor said in the 60's and 70's the method of smoking weed was a bit different. Instead of holding a hit in for a few seconds and exhaling, people used to hold their hits in and push the air in their lungs down with all of their air pressure. This created small bubbles that would escape the lungs and form on the outside of them. In a few hours, your body absorbs the bubbles back in, and those bubbles would keep a person higher for the day. That's why people in the 60's and 70's said their weed was the best. It was their method of smoking.

Just a disclaimer. I do not advocate smoking this way. Although a small amount of air bubbles outside of the lungs is harmless, having too many bubbles can lead do them forming on the outside of the heart. That makes the risk of a heart attack very high!

Just a piece of info I thought was interesting.

(He's fine now)

2. wow that awesome

3. well, i definitely wont do thus

4. thanks for the cool info, rev!

5. Well thats interesting because thats basically the difference between how my dad and I smoke.

6. sounds bogus to me...

7. seems pretty interesting, i personally dont really hold in my hits at all, i just act like its a breat of air: inhale, exhale and enjoyment :smoking:.

8. thats some pretty cool nifty information

btw 800th post

9. lol and now for some reason people just stopped doing it?
    how come noone has really heard of this before?

sorry not trying to jump your shit (or the doctors) but i hate when someone says 'people in the 60's and 70's...' sounds a bit stereotypical and like he is trying to make something up to sound good....

idk it just sounds funny that people in the 60's and 70's smoked one way... then all of a sudden after 1979 people smoke differently and less effective.... interesting though if it really is true :rolleyes:

(ugh i hate the no weed dry stash rant...:()

10. Okay, WHAT are you talking about?

a pro marijuana Medical Doctor? i'm just saying, that sounds so tacky/unrealistic. bubbles on the lungs? on the heart? what the hell?

i take a phat rip off a blunt, and while my lungs are still filled with smoke i then inhale more oxygen to push the smoke further and just serenade myself with the thc.

to say that people only smoked that way in the 70s is ludicrous, how would humans stop being capable of smoking a certain way all of a sudden. i've always smoked that way and tons of people do.

11. Either him or his doctor is full of shit.

12. what's up man, how's Arcadia, i'm in West Co right now.

13. My dad smokes like that too! Honestly , I dunno if that's why he's soo much higher than me off one hit or what!

14. I'm inclined to believe this, but only because of my dad, and his roommate, both guys in they're 50's, who smoked during the 70's. They both smoke differently than you and I, they sorta take a really small hit and suck in a huge amount of air, then take another little hit and so on:p

And they both do it the exact same way too, so that makes me think that its just the way they smoked back then.

15. The "doctor" if not a troll by the OP has no clue aboput anatomy, NONE! The only way you can get air in the chest cavity is to have a hole, either in the lung itself or in the chest wall. you possibly could rupture a lung, but the results would not be plesant, and an air leak form the lungs, no matter how small does not "clear up" on its own. the only time i have seen this phenomenon is scuba diving, if one comes up to quick he can perferate a lung form the increase in air pressure, usually its not noticed for 24-48 hours whn rice krispies begin to form on the neck and chest.
    Without proof of theese ridicoulous unheard of claims i tend to not belive, never heard of it and no proff, sounds like someone talking out the wrong orfice.

16. I often smoke like this, but not because i believe it enhances the high, really, more out of habit. I've heard that after holding your breath for more than 3 seconds, there is no change in the potency of the hit. Anyone ever do "chicago style," where there may be like 4 folks in a car etc. on a blunt and you hold your breath until it's your turn again? it can be fun, but it also means no conversation. i used to do it when i was younger.

17. interesting.
    Chong can be seen doing this method of smoking in "up in smoke"

you know the part where there smoking the fat joint on the way back to the US and they reach the border and cheech says "get rid of it" and chong starts tokin away and after he throws the joint out he holds the smoke in and plugs his nose and leans forward to "push the smoke down" and that was in 1978

ive done that but I dont call it chicago style we call it a homerun

18. i love slang across the nation. chicago style, homerun- over here we call it Baseball.

19. I always pack a fat bowl .. Clear it .. And then breath in until I cough or
    My lungs are full. That's how you take a proper hit.

20. I call shenaniganz