Penn State student charged with growing marijuana in dorm

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Superjoint, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Associated Press

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - A Penn State University student was charged with two felonies because police said they found marijuana plants growing in his dorm room over spring break.

Residence hall staffers routinely inspect rooms over spring break and other university breaks. Staffers checking David J. Collins' room called police when they saw plants growing inside his closet. University police said they found marijuana growing in the closet and in an overturned desk.

Collins, 22, of Philadelphia, did not have a local phone number; he did not immediately respond to an e-mail from The Associated Press seeking comment.

Penn State University Police supervisor Bill Moerschbacher said marijuana arrests were not uncommon in the dorms, but that it was rare to find someone actually growing marijuana on campus.

"That's kind of odd to have people growing it," Moerschbacher said. "People tend to realize that growing plants is going to attract attention."

A preliminary hearing was scheduled for Thursday for Collins, who was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and manufacturing a controlled substance, both felonies, as well as misdemeanor drug and drug paraphernalia charges.

2. crazy stupid... what the hell was that kid thinking?? estupida ?? :D

3. #4 CoffeeDrinker, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2012
    I know this is an old post but I remember when this happened. No I did not know the guy who grew herb in his dorm but it was very stupid of him to do this and I remember at the time someone claimed that one of his grow lights caused a small fire and that's how they found the plants that way. But more likely than not since he lived in a dorm someone smelled the plants and went in when he wasn't there. Or RA went in and found the plants that way since RAs and even the police can go into your dorm for any reason and they don't need a warrant just suspicion/probable cause. Or maybe a maintenance worker who went into the dorm room found the plants? I know a lot of people who had drugs in dorms laying out in plain view, or who smoked inside dorms and they got kicked out of college because of this. In the case of one guy I knew who went to a university in New England it was a good thing since he was addicted to opiates and meth and he got into treatment and this time it worked. When I lived in a dorm I didn't even keep booze out in plain view and I never smoked inside the dorm room since that was just begging to get caught, and it's better to just smoke outside with a one hitter that looks like a cigarette. Vaporizers were not around when I was in college and living in a dorm.

4. You do realize that this thread is more than 8 years old right?

5. Petty sure that's the first thing he said dude.

6. Damn that kids life is ruined

7. So stupid to grow in a dorm. I hope all that college cured his stupid problem...

8. It was definitely stupid growing IN the dorm... but what's even more stupid are all the fucking charges... this isn't right man, if the kid is some big time dealer then ok, but if he was growing for himself then leave him the fuck alone... just my opinion.

9. my buddies goin to penn state. went there last year for state patties day and got an O of dankkkkk purple haze that was oh so purple :smoke:

10. i wonder what that guy is up to now, probably growing more weed:smoke:, hope he didnt get jail time for that though

11. 8 years late.

12. In PA 10-21 plants is a felony with a mandatory minimum sentence of 1 year in jail and a $5000 fine.

They got him with 11 plants.

If you grow in PA stay under 10 plants and know that the total weight including roots (but not medium) of however many you have is less than 2 pounds.

13. Is this a eight year old post?

14. Damn he salty