peat isnt benefit?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by 2cent420, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Hey i love peat i baught shittons to bypass the bans shhh. From whiskey to plants its amazing.
    I found a study pushing it is of no benefit no nutrition etc .
    People buy peat to compost into wormbins etc surely its got a benefit and this post is just a shill?
    Or is there better alts to peat and wrre all brainwashed lol?
    A growing concern: peat is bad for the planet – and for plants

Found 1 gardener pusbing coco ober peat allover and saying let it dry out between watering lol. Ive learnt that causes giant issues in cal and p. and thats an endorsed govt gardener from tv too. Are they all on the peat ban? I did notice that the commertial and registered big gardeners are allowrd to use it still its just home gardners who cant use it..

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Most likely a shill but try grow plants in coco and see for yourself.
    Nurseries all over the world use peat as a soil base, I dont think many (if at all) use coco.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. #3 TimJ, Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    I'm not sure of your location. But, you could make and use leaf mold if you are really concerned with using peat.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  4. What i thaught too they wrekon worldwide ban this year happening now.
    Also trying to ban composting in heaps due to carbon lol pillocks.
    Funny as they all flew in jets to the conference lol

• Like Like x 2
  5. I read the article. It seems like another environmentalists jumping on the 'peat harvesting is destroying the world' bandwaggon. Depending on what you're doing peat is a fantastic growing medium. He also sounds like one of those "if you're not doing it my way, you're doing it wrong" kinda guys.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. I use coco in place of peat.. but only because peat is pretty much a non renewable resource.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Do you do no-till? Wondering if you've hit any problems long-term. I know the CEC for coco vs. peat is horrible, especially long-term, which is why so many organic growers stay away from it.

• Like Like x 4
  8. I bought some of the “Beyond Peat” mix and it looks really good but I had doubts about using it in SIPs so I used it in a container bed for flowers. It does dry quick.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Some good info' here for comparing/contrasting the chemical and physical properties of peat moss and coco coir...

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Yes I do no-till.. but my no-till beds are amended with peat.. I only started replacing the peat with coco this year in New containers that I've started. I'm not on a high horse or anything and looking down on anyone using peat. It was just a personal decision I made this year to do my best to be environmentally friendly and stay away from non-renewable resources in my soil mixes and dry amendments, if I have to sacrifice a few grams here and there to accomplish that, it's fine by me

• Like Like x 2
  11. I used to follow a grower n the north who got good results running coco. I’ve never tried it but I’ll grab some the next chance I get.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I haven't noticed any difference in water retention personally, especially if you apply a mulch layer... my biggest issue with coco is that on more than one occasion I've found plastic particles in the compressed bricks

13. I very much appreciate the perspective of trying to cut down on non-renewable resources! I was asking as there's a big gap between theory and practice: the theory is that coir is a "no-no" for growing organic cannabis, but I want to know what people's experiences are in practice. I use a ton of coir for non-plant stuff, but have never reused it in my grows because of what I have read about CEC, etc.. But I'm definitely thinking of giving it a whirl if yours and other's experiences are different from what theory says!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Before I switched to organic soil and fertilizer I would incorporate sphagnum peat moss into my mix for it's absorptive capability. But because beneficial microbes do not grow well in peat moss, I do not incorporate it into my organic mix.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Try switching to well composted leaf mold as the base for your organic soils.

j

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Thanks for this idea

• Like Like x 1
  17. I wonder why Promix peat can come with myco fungi? I have never, ever heard of microbes not living in peat.
    I think you may have read that in some “bro sci fi”, but .....
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1