PC Grow Golden Goat Coco Coir

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by uwill3, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Uwill3 at it again folks!
    Soaked for a day in water, then planted in coco coir, this is day ONE ground break 9-11-13
    STRAIN: Golden Goat

No Nutrients at this point, water run off 68ppm  PH was high 7+ Fixed it by next week.

View attachment 125920

3 Floro 100w 1600 lumen ... running 300 Watts and 4800 Lumens TOTAL.
    <div> View attachment 125922

Running GH Flora Duo 2 Part Nutrients
    View attachment 125923

Plan to do a LST... This is my little closet grow, nothing special... Just haven't seen any PC Grows w/ hydro coco.

Cheers.
    </div> 

2. Update 9-18-13   

Added a couple upgrades to the setup.  First Humidity and Temp monitor...  Which shows how hot it has been getting in there, need more air flow...
    View attachment 125924

And a 12v converter for my PC fans, which I plan to add more in the future.
    View attachment 125928

Overview... Using a Smart pot, seems to be working well.
    View attachment 125926

And last couple pics to finish the Update... Few leaves look deformed, but its probably going to pull out of it soon.
    View attachment 125925

View attachment 125927

Running Distilled water, PH looks perfect ... Has extra water right now, diluting the PPM down to 200.
    Next updates will be transplant to introduce calcium at the base and perilite in the coco mix. First thing will be a large fan installed on the top of the case, removing the rising heat... The two existing fans, just aren't doing the job.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Back to the Future... THE TEAR DOWN

So these pictures show the PC before turning it into this little grow box...

This was fun to do while the seed was sprouting.

Old ass PC, laying around... Had no hard drives in it, decided to tear its guts out...
    View attachment 125929

Dimensions ... Smaller than but close to 8" width and 18" length and 17" Height... Giving close to ONE SQUARE FOOT of grow area
    View attachment 125930
    View attachment 125931

Tucked the front back on after removing dead weight and CDRW drive.
    View attachment 125932

And these last pieces of metal were the hardest to remove, required the rivets to be drilled.
    View attachment 125933

With a long enough veg, cramming the box with tops, LST, plan to get close to 2 oz ... Similar to scrog.

Decided not to scrog for now, because of the tight space, and plans later on rolling the remaining fabric on the smart pot UP and then filling with more coco, giving it more of a root mas with a nice tight Low Stress Training.

4. cool grow man, are you sure those are 100w lamps? they look like 20-25w lamps. i use 125w lamps and they are each over a foot long. having a fan directly above the lamps sucking heat out will make a huge difference :) 

5. #5 uwill3, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2013
    Yeh 100 watt bulbs... cost about $8 for 4 of them at wallmart.

Edit:  Oh and thx GoldGrower

6. Very next day 9-19-13  UPGRADES
    This update will show how the new fan was installed.

So the little box is coming right along, added reflective material to the door.
    View attachment 126002

Also added a new 12v 120 mm PC Fan topside, and zip tied all the cords neatly together.
    View attachment 126000

Fan specs :
    View attachment 126001

To start with the install of the fan, I drew a circle to have an idea of where to drill holes.
    <div> View attachment 125996
    Then drew a grid, for an even better idea of where to drill...
    View attachment 125997

Using two different size drill bits, I was able to bullet hole it.
    View attachment 125998

Installed, testing... YES air is coming OUT!
    <div> View attachment 125999

And a test after putting everything back together.
    <div> View attachment 126003
    View attachment 126004

Next update, TEMPERATURE TEST.
    20 min
    30 min
    1  hour...

Plan is to get two more 80mm fans, and install them on the lower right side, where holes are already place for that size fan.
    Could put up to 4, but will start with 2... This 12v power supply can boost the power as high as I need.
    </div>If I continue to have problems with heat after that, I will install another topside 120mm.
    </div> 
    </div> 

7. 9-19-13 UPDATE

TEMPERATURE TEST

First put the thermostat outside, in my window...
    View attachment 126039

Then put it in the grow box sealed shut for 20 mins goes up to 79*F
    View attachment 126041

And check it again at 30 mins goes up to 81*F this is the PEAK temp it has reached so far.
    View attachment 126042

PreFinal at 1 hour (before plant test)  it cooled down a bit 75*F and with no plants or moisture Im not surprised its humidity is so low 39% with a low of 37%.
    View attachment 126038

Pre Plant Test pic... 77*F 38%H
    View attachment 126046

1½ HR Plant in box, maintaining 79*F with a still low Humidity of 39%
    View attachment 126040

The goat seams to be happy...
    View attachment 126043

This pic shows the tight nodes, the plant is on a 23/1 light schedule right now. Little to no stretch, nice trunk.
    View attachment 126044

Twelve hours ago the PPM was 160's, no nutes added. It has gone up. Plant seems happy, going to let it drink on this for another day or two.
    View attachment 126045

Still going to add two more 80mm Fans on the base, and have an idea of how to change the fans, to circulate the air better, they need more AIR IN, because the Topside Fan has more than enough power to be the entire exhaust.

Also thinking of getting the black foam board to light proof and build a carbon exhaust for the 120mm Top fan... Odor patrol :smoke:

Night Blades.

8. Future plan with diagram drawing.  COMMENTS?

Looks like its maintaining a good temp and humidity with the fan upgrade, although I believe when I leave for days at a time, it may get warm over time, so I plan to make a few changes, to increase air flow.
    View attachment 126048

Here is how it looks, to show you there are two fans on the side, and one large fan on top.
    View attachment 126049
    View attachment 126051

This is the pic that is a side view (same pic next 3)
    View attachment 126050
    One left fan will be changed and 2 lower right fans added
    View attachment 126052
    Show the future plan, and asks should I put the two new fans, low or a notch up?
    View attachment 126053

Ok well off to a busy weekend tomorrow, this is all I had time for.

9. I can't view the photos properly because they pop up in a separate window but I still think they can't be 100w bulbs. They are just too small. A 100w bulb will be about a foot long. They look about 5". They must be about 25w bulbs

I guess the box said "100 watt equivalent" ... They run pretty hot, but now after trying to look them up, its seems your correct.

11. 9-25-13  UPDATE

Added Dolomite Lime, takes care of any magnesium/calcium deficiencies. Did a transplant and will probably stun any growth for the next week.
    View attachment 126404
    View attachment 126405

Also got some new PH Up and Down, in the arsenal... Plenty of acid to last a long time!
    View attachment 126406

Golden Goat went to sleep 25 mins ago...
    View attachment 126403

Although I managed to get some pics before the lights went out...
    View attachment 126400
    View attachment 126399
    View attachment 126401

And with the 23/1 Light schedule, it is creating a second top already, before I even start LST.
    View attachment 126402

Also moved the left fan out, giving the box TWO air in fans, and the one large exhaust... Maintaining 72-81*F Temps.

That's all for now...

No perilite in the mix, so its just Coco Coir and Dolomite Lime mix ... 90/10 %.

PH 5.8 to 6
    PPM 102

12. Looks good, but perhaps a bit over-watered imo.  Probably has something to do with the 2 inches of water in the runoff tray it's wicking from.  I recommend you stop doing this, at least until your root system is more developed and can handle the moisture level you're throwing at it.  Good luck.

Ok, all advice is welcome, thanks... With little experience with coco, I was wondering how much to water, living in a dry climate, seems like the plant has trouble getting moisture... That tray gits filled with 2" of water, then by the time I get off work, its bone dry. 43% Humidity.

When transplanting that thing had a massive collection of roots, almost to the base of the pot, and going to the outer walls of the smart pot.

Going w/o nutrients (100ppm now) the next few days, then bump back up to the 200-300 range, and see how it does... Will wait to see significant foliage growth first though.

Thanks for visiting Doc

14. UPDATE  10-21-13

Added a few things to the little grow... Built a dark box exhaust for the top of the pc.
    View attachment 127712

The zig zag of foam board, stops light from bleeding out.
    View attachment 127713

A little more stealthy now
    View attachment 127715

Added another fan with a 3 speed switch to control my Air IN ...
    All fans in the box AIR IN, except for the top exhaust now.
    View attachment 127714

Drilled holes and added U bolts to secure the lights sideways
    View attachment 127717
    View attachment 127716

OK now on with the GREENERY ... Remember these two little tops?
    View attachment 127718

They got a little bigger... So they got a low stress training.
    <div> View attachment 127719

Then a few days later they sprung up again...
    <div> View attachment 127720

And here is about 10 days ago.
    <div> View attachment 127721
    View attachment 127722

</div>Since then, there has been a dozen of the LST pegs put in, twisting the tops around the pot, with a main stalk the size of my pinky. and about 14-16 tops.

More pics to come soon.

Plant is now on 19 / 5  Light schedule, wed switch to 18 / 6.
    PPM running 600's
    Giving a watering schedule of 2 flush, 1 feed.
    Letting the smart pot dry out in between waterings.
    PH a little higher, because the grow store recommended it. Approx 6.2-6.8
    Temps 66*-81* F
    Hum 32%-69%

Colorado Grow  :smoke:

</div> 
    </div> 

15. New Pics...

It doesn't look real full with the HCLST ...  Hard Core Low Stress Training...
    Plan is to keep the tops tucked low, when there are a couple dozen tops, the pot will be rolled up,
    and add a couple more inches of coco coir, and it will look like several plants, but only be one.
    Giving it more area for root mass, plus a little more water storage for a bigger plant. When the box is almost full of tops,
    I will flip to 12/12 light schedule.

View attachment 127723

It is a jungle underneath the fan leaves though... Lots of tops.
    View attachment 127724
    View attachment 127725

L8r :ph34r:

16. Today was another watering, FEED... Bumped it up to 834 ... It is on super thrive. 
    Should see a lot of growth in one week. Or burn, ha, hope not.

And during flowering, in about 3 or 4 weeks, I have been suggested to use this, matching my brand of nutrients.

[​IMG]

17. UPDATE      11-18-2013
    12/12
    DATE OF LIGHT CHANGE - Begin flowering

Been about a month since last pics.

The plant has been through a lot of low stress training, gave it one more train before the 12/12 switch, and these pics are from a few days ago.
    View attachment 128737

Lots of tops
    View attachment 128738

Calyx  with a hair coming out... about 90% sure its a female now.
    View attachment 128739

And then after those pics I gave it a LST and put it back in its home.
    And as you can see it fills the box nicely
    View attachment 128740

One more low stress train about 7-10 days from now, and then let it finish its coarse of flowering.

8-10 week flower... I have a treat coming, a USB Microscope, that I can take digital trichome pics with, and it will make the process of harvest time, much easier on a big screen instead of through a little eye hole (microscope)

L8r :smoke:

18. grow looks great! 10 days into my first ever grow myself also in a pc case. what litre/gallon size pot are you using ?

This is a 1 gallon container I believe... Name brand is Smart Pot... It is a nice soft fabric material, give the roots lots of air, and I can just feel the outside to see if its dry, and also easy to lift to test water amounts by weight.

Being your first grow, I would suggest something I recently learned... The watering cycle is Water, Water, Feed ...

Letting the pot have a short dry period between watering is good as well.

The plastic container is a tuber ware from wallmart, less than $2.  Use it to take runoff tests for PPM and PH... Also let the plant sit in it for a few hours until wicking/dryout ... Then I remove the plant from the tray to allow air directly to the pot, roots love air, foliage love Co2.

Thx for visiting scooby

20. 12-15-13 FLOWERING UPDATE

Hello again... Looks like the halfway point on flowering.

As promised, I got the microscope up and running...
    View attachment 130335

Here is similar to how I use the Scope to take the Trichome pictures.
    View attachment 130336

It's looking good, even without the bloom additive.
    <div> View attachment 130337

Buds are feeling dense, with a nice sweet smell to them.
    View attachment 130338

One of the larger tops, probably turn into one big bud.
    View attachment 130339

And pics of the trics, showing they are short, with premature clearness.
    View attachment 130340
    View attachment 130341
    View attachment 130342
    View attachment 130343

Running 1190 ppm, Full Flower Regiment
    Ph 6.2
    70's* F
    Humidity 29%-45%

Low stress training still required, at least one more time, before harvest, the buds are close to the lights.

This project, not including supplies I already had, currently invested in this $95... 
    Weed is cheap out here, so I had to keep the budget under $100 or it would not be efficient enough to outweigh the dispensary.
    This is the reason I decided to not buy the Liquid Kool Bloom, being over $30, and not knowing the yeild it would produce, just stuck with what I have to finish this grow up before the red card expires in Feb.

Thanks for visiting.
    L8r :bolt:

</div>