PC Grow - Auto Fem Red Dwarf - 1st time grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Cirrus Minor, Jan 12, 2012.

1. #1 Cirrus Minor, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
    Hello people, this is my first grow journal and I welcome all comments or suggestions.

Here is my setup so far:

26" high PC case
    Basic light timer
    Scrog Screen
    4 x 23w 6500k - veg
    4x 23w 2700k - flower
    FFOF soil
    GH ph up/dpown
    GH Flora set for nutes
    Digital Hygrometer
    Digital TDS meter

I have begun my journey with a Auto Fem Red Dwarf from Attitude. Having never done this before I think I made a bad error already and was not thinking clearly when I planted this seed. My original purpose was to not start with an auto and plant the seed to one side of the pot and LST train it to the other side while vegging to really fill out the case. My plan was to also implement a scrog as well. However, not thinking about it I planted the auto to the right side of the pot. Am I going to have enough time to LST this girl or did I screw myself? Is it possible, or does anyone think I should slice a 4th of the soil where she is and move her to the center of the pot? Anyway, this might have to be chalked up to a rookie mistake :)

So far I am into day 3 grow and here are my pics... I have only watered with ph balanced water and she is on a 20/4 light cycle. I will keep it this way through the duration of the grow. I am using three 6500k and one 2700k lights until about day 30 when I'll reverse and do one 6500k and three 2700k. Sound like a plan?

Anyway... enjoy :smoke:

Here is a link to my other thread if anyone would like to read it and give some pointers in this thread. Really appreciated. Thanks... http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/966557-some-s-autos-nutes-lights-usual.html

Attached Files:

2. #2 Cirrus Minor, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
    Well, I decided to move her towards the middle of the pot. I really hope I didn't end up killing her. I was very careful so I hope all is well. I will probably know within the next day or so.

Attached Files:

3. Well, came home from work to check her out after the move and she seems fine. I am hoping this is the case...

4. #4 dudenochance, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
    I'm sure she's fine, i would wrap some dark tape electric tape probably around your

container light penetration to the roots will do harm, they're still small enough to not reach

the sides but soon =].. and you could have left it to the side and would have time to LST an auto,

you're most likely going to have to LST this one as well or it will outgrow that space

5. Hey, someone tuned in... lol

Hi there, well I kinda panicked and wanted to move her now before the roots got too large. I'll just have to try and be creative I suppose with my LST'ing. The outside container is clear but the one with soil I do have wrapped with several layers of duct tape to keep light penetration out :)

6. well than all set =], noticed too much heat with 4 bulbs in the box? i see a lot of PC boxes

with just 2 or do you have enough air flow to keep the temps down

7. Hi... the temps aren't too bad so far. I am getting around 78-83 with the case still fairly empty obviously. I am thinking they might go up a little once it fills in a little. We'll see... :)

8. Hi. How much grams of weed you collected so far?

9. Zero man, I just started.

10. Keep this in mind OP, just because you have an auto flower changes nearly nothing with HOW the plant grows. It may be shorter, or grow for a lesser period, and use 20/4 light. Its going to veg for a relatively specific amount of time, during which time you train, as normal, and once it starts flowering keep training.

If you brush through my grow journal(s) you'll see that i've trained my plants nearly their entire existence. yours will just go into flowering without having to change light cycle/hope for a female, since you have an auto-fem.

You'll be fine, but get that container lightproofed, you'll start to see algae if there is excess water, or burn roots when they reach the sides.

Good luck!

11. Thanks man, I have checked out your grows and I thought they were very impressive. My container is light proofed although its hard to tell. The outside container is clear but the inner one has several layers of tape around it. That was actually the very first t5hing I did :)

I probably over reacted, which I tend to do, about moving my plant. I thought maybe I wouldn't have enough time to train and I panicked :eek: So anyway, I will just train from where she is now. I am just hoping once flowering starts I can neutralize the smell with the big ass jar of Ona I got. It is imperative that I neutralize the smell.

12. get carbon filter material in a sheet, and make yourself a carbon filter for the outlet of your enclosure

13. I would follow this for a carbon filter http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/281136-how-cheap-easy-efficient-diy-carbon-scrubber.html, since yours is a smaller PC grow I'd suggest a

smaller can than the fruit juice one, maybe just a small soup cap or possible a tuna can?

Im constructing mine out of a soup can, and I plan on cutting holes in the bottom and

putting the activated carbon directly into the panty hose straight into the can, and then

small L brackets to screw it on the back of my computer case where my exhaust fan is..

will kill all the odor, a jar of Ona in the room wouldn't hurt but I don't think would be

needed if you made a small filter.

14. That DIY is definitely a cool idea, however, I need this to be stealthy and some ducting or a can coming off of the back of my computer will be a dead give away that something is fishy with my PC case... lol :)

I am trying to think of a way to do a push/pull type of set up. have the one outtake fan on the inside of the case like it is now then some sort of filter then on the outside of the case another PC fan pulling the rest of the air out.

Something like...

PC fan > filter of some kind > PC fan

mrbear2point8 mentioned carbon filter sheets as well. Something like [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U204W2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1JWXPHBTYQL1K"]this[/ame] possibly...

I am also thinking of trying these out for the hell of it. I have heard nothing but great things about these bulbs. Although they may leave some faint odor behind that's where maybe the Ona could clean up the mess. Just a thought.

15. you could mount the can on the inside of your case and it would work just as well. you

could mount it to the case already inside, or to the case and then the fan on the can. with

the size of a pc case you'd only need a small amount, i bet even hanging panty house with

carbon in it near your exhaust fan may work just a thought.. i ordered a cheap computer

case and two fans for $30 off the internet should be here monday so I'm waiting to

construct my box, short stuff #1 from attitude should be here next week as well

16. Nice profile pic cirrus

17. Thank man, your a fan I take it?

18. Yeah definitely. David Gilmoure all the way

19. I'd like to see your setup when it's complete. Good luck man.

20. Just a small little update, nothing exciting. Day 7 here with only ph'd water since the start.

Attached Files: