PC fans and cfl lights: how to wire it all up?

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by ClinicalExplosion420, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Alright so I'm starting to plan my cab for my first micro grow, but one thing I'm not finding a lot of info on is the actual wiring behind the PC fans and cfl lights.First off how do I set up the lights? I've seen people use power strips with adapters and I've seen people plug adapters into a standard extension cord and ad splitters film it there were enough lights. What's the safe way? Or most effective? I don't want to be blowing circuits..And as far as fans how do I get them powered? Based on experience from when I was ten I know you can't just wire a plug on a plug it in... that ends in problems... so how is it done? Thanks in advancedSent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. For the pc fans you will need a 12 volt power adapter like a cell phone charger and for the lights you can buy light fixtures and you can wire them all to one plug I'm running 10 cfl lights from a old power cord from a fan and have had no problems with them for the past 2 years

3. I'll take a photo of how I built my light strip and wired up my Pc fans for you tomorrow. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4. [quote name="jaycrilla" post="19423913" timestamp="1390943947"]For the pc fans you will need a 12 volt power adapter like a cell phone charger and for the lights you can buy light fixtures and you can wire them all to one plug I'm running 10 cfl lights from a old power cord from a fan and have had no problems with them for the past 2 years[/quote]So pretty much any phone charged I have laying around will work? What about like an Rc car charger? If it says its 12v I can just cut the plug and splice in the fan? And can I run multiple fans off one? And for your lights did you wire them in series or parallel? Thanks again for the help
    Thanks! Looking forward to seeing how its done.Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. #5 jaycrilla, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
    Yes a rc car charger should work and I have them wired parallel here's a pic of the light wiringhttp://imgur.com/4xY7rGe

6. #6 RouxJr, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
    Just took some for you, this is the adapter I used for the fanshttp://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0085SKNTCI attached the adapter to a molex connector so that I could add multiple fans and easily detach them if necessary. I borrowed the molex adapter from an old Pc. I found which wires to use from the adapter by looking at molex on Wikipedia. I used a standard figure 8 power adapter for the lights, put a 3amp fuse in. Then wired up to each lamp holder in turn.

Attached Files: