Pc Fan Amps Question

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by evilcult, May 22, 2014.

1. #1 evilcult, May 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014
    I am totally stupid with this stuff, and dont wanna burn down my house, nor loose a fan.

I have 2 12v. 16A pc fans, and one 12v 2A dc charger. Can i safely run two (or maybe even three) of those fans on it, or is it not gonna work, and explode like a bomb. ;)

Sent from my C6603 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. the charger can only do so much, one fan hauling ass or 3 moping along.

No much to gain by adding fans to one single power supply.

3. But won't my 2A amp charger be enough to power 2x. 16A?

4. #4 VeritableHypocrisy, May 22, 2014
  5. #5 evilcult, May 22, 2014
    I think i might mean 0.16 amps, not sure bout these things, where did i go wrong in my OP, by saying A and not amps or by leaving out the 0. As u can see, when it comes to electricity, im just plain dumb. ( ah, nvm, read my OP, stupid phone throughs away the dot, when i type.

Attached Files:

6. #6 VeritableHypocrisy, May 22, 2014
    All you need for that fan is a DC 12 volt adapter. You can go to thrift shops and pick them up for like $0.50. If you want to chain them together with minimal loss in fan speed, you can also splice two cords together, and at the chained point, connect fan A, then at the end, connect fan B. That's how I managed to pull it off. Make ABSOLUTELY SURE to follow the guide in the link I posted. If you wire it wrong, it won't work. If you don't properly cover the wires, you have a fire hazard.

Also, that is correct. When referring to amps, you use the 0., if it is only a partial amp. 0.16 Amps is equivalent to, if I recall, 160 mA, or milli-amps.

Make sure the combined fans do not equal out to more amps than the output of the charger or adapter, too.

7. Ok, think i got it now, so last atupid question, i swear, lol. How many 0.16amps can go into 2amps?

8. 2 / 0.16 = 12.5, so 12. However, I wouldn't go more than 5 to the circuit, just to ensure maximum safety. 

9. Awesome, you are a rockstar! Thx for all the help, i will go 2 on that adapter.