PC box temperature help.

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by trevronious, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hello GC!

First time poster here. Been in the process of putting together a PC grow box with all that I've gathered from reading all the lovely information this site provides. Everything is in place and my NLxWW Chrystal seed is just popping.

As this is mostly for a personal grow, everything in my box is going well besides the temperature is a bit high it seems. It's running at a steady 90-93*F with a 120mm and 80mm intake, a passive intake and a single 80mm exhaust fan. Not to try and answer my own question or anything, but do you guys think making most of the fans as exhausts instead would work out better? I've been reading on here that having only passive intakes with the negative pressure works well...
    Of course I see this information after all my fans are in place... Hah

Any and all help is much appreciated as I will be making a journal on here once the ball gets rolling.

2. I recently have had the same problem as well. Temps in a PC box are very hard to control without the proper ventilation. I have found that having only a strong source of outtake is crucial. If I were you I would make both your fans outtake. My one box has 2 35 cfm 90mm fans outtake and average temps are 94 F; my plant died after a week or so. My other box has one 120mm 100 cfm fan for outtake and its temps are about 71 F average. Intake is unnecessary, just have a good source of outtake and you will be set.

3. Awesome. So would you think using one 80mm 32cfm fan and one 140mm 59cfm fan as well as a dedicated passive intake would be enough to cool a case roughly 17.5x8.5x18? Not the most space in the world but I'm gathering that having a total of 91cfm of outtake should work pretty well.

Thanks again!

4. Also, I was originally planning on using four 26watt cfls throughout the grow. If I can't get the temp down to where I'd like it, would removing a bulb be a last resort? As much as I'd hate to be under 100 total watts.

5. i would use the 120mm as the exhaust, and have your two 80mm fans as intake should

help with the temps. pictures of your box would be nice to compare it too