PC BOX First Grow With Pictures

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by mypassion, Jul 6, 2009.

1. #1 mypassion, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2009
    hey guys, I am new to the forum, and Decided i might as well start posting, especially since I started today my first grow.

I am using a PC BOX, I will post pictures in the next posts later defintely.

Heres what I am doing. The pc box can also be used to grow hydro, but I decided to go for soil, since its my first grow, and I am uncertain about the monitoring it will take and adjustment I will need to do using hydro.

I got Organic soil from home depot, which already has a good nutrient mixture and also perlite.

I got a plastic cup and created four small holes in the bottom for drainage, and placed that cup in a larger cup so the water that goes through the bottom holes will stay.

My friend gave me two feminized Masterkush seeds from Dutch Passion she said, I paid her $10.

I am keeping one stored, and germinated the other one for planting.

The seed germinated pretty quick almost 22 hours, and I could see the sprout, although the sproud was reletively small, meaning not yet that long, but it had def sprouted. and the towel had dried (used paper towel method) it look still ok.

So I took the Seed and placed in the cup with soil, and put some more soil over it, and water it using tapwater after checking the ph of the water using ph test kit.

Then I placed it in the box with light and left it close to the light.
    After like 12 hours since the cup was too close to the bulbs on top of another container(using 3 bulbs daylight 2 Led, and 1 reddish for flowing stage, the soil seemed to have dried too much, so I sprayed a little more water, and will leave it now for couple of days, on the floor of the PC BOX, not on the container anymore, I will probably use that container after transplanting.

Does anyone have tips regarding the watering of the plant, how much and how often should water while in the cup, how do I know wether its dry/wetmoist?
    and what about after the transplant, it seems I dont know for sure when to water or what the status of the soil is.

when should I start using fertilizers?
    what fertilizers and odor killer do u guys use/recommend?

also as soon as i water the plant the water drains through the holes in the bottom the second cup which I placed under the plastic cup with the soil.

I will post pictures when I put the light on again after couple of hours or "dawn".

I will go with 18 hours day and 6 hours night.

Also I am now putting some tapwater in container to wipe out the chlorium for say 48 hours till i am watering the plants again.

any ideas/hints/tricks?
    share ur thoughts guys

2. Hi there. :wave: Welcome to GC and you're gonna love growing. :)

Over/under watering is a newbie issue. You will soon realise that your plant will tell you everything you need to know just by looking at it. :) When you water it, give it enough until it runs out the holes at the bottom. Then leave it, for days if need be, until the soil has dried right out, roots need to breathe. Only water again when you are sure she needs it, not 'cos you want her to have it. ;)

I hope that made sense, I'm a hippie and I often don't. :p

When your plant is a few weeks old, depending on how growth is going. Just straight water until then. Get some nutes high in N, like 20.10.10 or equiv. for the veg stage and when you are ready to go 12/12, you will want something higher in P and K. See what your local store has to offer or order online.
    Odor control depends on your circumstances. I'm about to buy a carbon scrubber, but I use air fresheners around the house too.

Sounds like you've done your homework. :) Ask if you need help and read everything you can get your green fingers on. :D

Gluck! :hello:

3. Pay attention to what Freedom Says For an old hippie she is right on most of the time...Or she will just whack u with her stick:poke: either way ur going 2 learn....:D

4. will be following you..i like pc box grows

5. #5 mypassion, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2009
    Hey guys thanks for ur tips!

also freedom4ever thanks for ur tips as well ;) and jeezyfizzle, yes, this should be interesting!

Well it has been 24 hours almost since my last post, I took some pictures as well, just before I turned into nighttime.

The soil is still moist not dried out, no plant coming up yet, so will wait on that, possibly tommorow I would think, also Since there is no watering for now, I took the second cup that I use for drainage out for now until the next time ill water.

Here are some pictures.

also let me know what u think guys, also what u think abt the box?

Attached Files:

6. Don't just spray a little water on top of the soil. The top of the soil stays wet, and risks mold, while water doesn't get into the soil to the roots. Better too give it a lot of water all at once, and drain any excess. You know it's time to water when the soil is dry two inches down. Stick you finger in the dirt, and if it's at all damp, wait longer.

You can start fertilizing at any point, as long as you start with a very small amount of fertilizer and slowly build up.

I prefer organic fertilizers like worm castings.

Oder killers I use include dryer sheets over the exhaust fans, incense, and negative ions (created by natural beeswax candles, machines like certain "hepa filters", and available in various sprays), and febreeze, as well as the strategic placement of my cats' litter box.

Remember to keep the lid off.

Anyway, it sounds like you've already got this down. It's good that you're so detail oriented. I'm sure your plants will turn out great.

I can't wait to see those pictures of the PC case turned grow box.

7. #7 jo3cool, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2009
    I would not start fertilizing at just at any point, wait a few weeks. You will burn up a seedling if your giving it any fertilizers....

Check out my PC grow for some ideas, your definitely going to be fighting with height issues like I did.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/400790-my-first-ever-grow-pc-chamber-already-into-flowering-3.html#post5041597

8. ^^^^ this. Don't feed ickle seedlings. :)

Cutter, you tell it like it is dude. ;)

9. #9 mypassion, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2009
    hey guys, so wer now almost 60 hours since seed was placed in the soil.
    almost three days, it hasnt popped out the above the soil yet, but I can feel it coming ;)

the soil is still moist, so no need to water.

also what did you guys think about the photos of the pc box?

I uploaded them last post.

yesterday i accidentely threw some soil with my hand up, and i could see the seed real quick making its way up i hope i did not touch/do anything to sproud though lol, it was already long, after that i am not sure but i think when i was turining off the lights yesterday for the nighttime, I could see the top of the seed starting to come up but im not sure. so well see whats going to happen.

also I thanks for ur link
    jo3cool, I will def check it out!

guys I am also going to plant the second seed I have, heres the question.
    I dont want to plant them/transplant them in the same container, but I am worried about the size in the pc box, if I will need two containers, what would be best option in terms of containers size? because even though the container/pots will be different they will grow almost at the same time in the same place., any ideas or tips?

10. #10 mypassion, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2009
    hey guys its been a week already, the plant has breaken ground, im going to transplant it soon, i also uploaded some pictures....tell me what u think guys!
    heres the baby masterkush!

Attached Files:

11. when you transplant you can always use what hashville420 used ..he had 1 container and put some kind of divider in the middle of it..i thought that was pretty smart

12. Yes, this is what I am going to do, I just had to water the plant soil seemed to be almost dry, i watered it, I am going to Transplant now, I am going to place the cup in the container with soil, and without having to touch the plant I will cut the cup so the in the container will mix with the container soil, and then re water the rest of the contrainer good idea?

13. ok guys, i just finished transplanting, i did it this way, i filled the container with soil, and left some space in the middle, i put the cup in the empty spot in the middle of the container, and i cut the cup out, that way I transplanted the cup soil into the soil of the new container, then i rewatered i made sure the old cup soil did not fall apart or anything so the space around the seed especially would not change or move. when i was placing it in the contianer, i did not touch the plant at all. with my fingers, and heres a picture, guys u know a good nutrients for soil marijuana i can find at walmart?
    also what abt odor killers to soil clean?
    pls any tips guys, and tell me what u think!
    thanks fizzyfizzle

Attached Files:

14. Just a real quick question, is that a cardboard box you have your plant in?

15. #15 JeezyFizzle, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2009
    acouple of things..its ok for you to touch the plant during a transplant..its not completely fragile..also..be careful of overwatering..i had that problem when I first started out with my plant..i would wait until the soil drys completely..sometimes I got impatient..and now I have a knat problem because my soil would stay moist all the time. And dont worry about nutes for now..just let the sprout do its thing until it matures a little more..nutes might burn it to hell..just let nature take over for the time being

i just realized you have your plant in a cardboard box...I wouldnt recommend that! cardboard will absorb water and it will probably become more fragile as the plant grows. Just go scrape up some change and go to like a dollar store or a bargain store and get some kind of pot..they are really cheap

16. hey thanks!

yeah i figured same idea, what confused me more was the size of the pot, also i did wait for the soil to be dry last time was two days ago when i watered it, i did not water a lot though today, just to get it a little moist, the soil doesnt look wet, and by dry do u mean really really dry?
    becuz i watered it when i could not sense any moisture and the soil was hard.
    now i just watered the surrounding soil in the container, just as a start for the new container, in adition to the watering that i did in the cup b4 transplanting, wasnt that wet though, actually this plant is growing fast, it already grew a little since my transplant couple hours ago, thanks for the advise though, ill make sure not to overwater and wait little longer, i wasnt impatient, i was rather little worried.

17. Hey guys hows things??/

I watered my plants today, I waited till soil was really dry almost like sand.
    i didnt water too much, just made sure its moisty.
    heres another picture..please tell me if the plants looks fine?
    if u look well ull see the tip of the plant turned little yellowish is that normal?
    thanks

Attached Files: