Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Paxlovid/MJ interaction?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Boringfakename, Jun 4, 2023.

1. I've been taking THC/CBD edibles for several months to help me manage Long Covid. This spring, I read about a clinical trial where they're giving LC patients a course of Paxlovid to see if it helps their symptoms. I didn't join the formal study, but my doctor supported me by prescribing a 5-day course of Paxlovid.

That stuff has to be the harshest medication I've ever taken, and my doctor pulled me off it on the 4th day because my body had an awful reaction. I was very careful to stop taking edibles a few days before starting the Paxlovid, and didn't go back to the edibles for almost a week after.

Now I have a quasi-allergic reaction to the edibles. I feel a hot sensation in my stomach which moves up my throat, and then my throat feels swollen and rigid. I barely feel a high from it any more. As with most things Covid-related, I asked both my doc and the LC Clinic and neither had any explanation for it. Has anyone here had a similar experience? I miss my edibles and would like them back! I don't know if there's anything I can do to improve my body's response to them.

2. Thanks for the link! It sounds like I had an opposite reaction though, with virtually no high going forward. I recently tried making a salve for the pain, and that's very helpful. So it's not a total loss.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Take a break: It seems like you've already taken a break from the edibles, but you mentioned it was for almost a week. You might want to try extending the break for a longer period to allow your body more time to recover and potentially reset its response.

Start with a lower dosage: When you decide to reintroduce edibles, try starting with a lower dosage than what you were previously taking. This can help gauge your body's reaction and potentially minimize any adverse effects.

Experiment with different strains or products: Sometimes, switching to a different strain or brand of THC/CBD edibles can make a difference. Different products might have varying levels of cannabinoids and terpenes, which could affect how your body responds.

Consider alternative delivery methods: If the reaction persists with edibles, you might explore alternative delivery methods for THC/CBD, such as vaping or topical applications. These methods might have a different impact on your body and could potentially provide relief without triggering the allergic-like symptoms.

Consult an allergist: If your symptoms continue or worsen, it may be beneficial to consult an allergist who can assess your situation more specifically. They may be able to conduct tests or provide further guidance on managing any potential allergies or sensitivities.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks for the advice! I did switch to a different brand with a lower THC dose, and I've found good results with a CBD/CBG blend as well. I also extended the break, and now use less frequently since I get less return on it. The less frequent use and the lower dose of THC has yielded some good results.

I can tell I'm still recovering from the Paxlovid though. The first side effect I got was that my salivary glands pumped out VERY bitter saliva, especially about half an hour after each dose. As the days went on, my salivary glands became swollen and painful. That went away after about 48 hours when I stopped, thank the gods. But when I take an edible, I am aware of my salivary glands again. Nothing bitter, but they get irritated for a few minutes. I'm never taking that poison again, no matter what.

5. you try pills?guessing yes if you do CBG,but for high THC.

i have a mild to moderate reaction to THC,and a severe side affect to CBD.

i don't know anything about LC,so i don't know what you need.
    there is THCa,CBC,CBDa,ect... try all flavors and see if any works.(give it a few weeks).

6. If you're considering using these compounds for medicinal purposes or managing certain conditions, it's important to consult with a healthcare professional or medical expert who can provide personalized advice based on your specific needs and medical history.