Pax Vs. Ploom Modeltwo?

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by Rinoa, Apr 22, 2014.

1. #1 Rinoa, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
    Hello! I just got my medical marijuana card, and my first experience with medicating was smoking out of a pipe, but it was too harsh for me (I'm asthmatic). I then tried a water pipe, which worked a little better, but our neighbours complained to the manager about the smell going into their apartment, so now I need to find a more stealthy way to medicate.

I think that edibles and tinctures would be too strong for me, at least right now, so I've spent the past two weeks doing a lot of research on vaporizers (specifically, pen vaporizers, as I would also like to be able to vape on the go). I have seen a lot of people praise the PAX for its ability to vape flowers, and upon looking at their website, I saw something called the Ploom modelTwo, whose price is far more appealing. :p

My questions are:

1. Does anyone here have any experience with the modelTwo? If so, then how did it work for you?

2. How does it compare to the PAX? Is it equal in its ability to vape flowers without burning them?

3. Can anyone recommend any other pen models that are cost-effective and work well? This aspect is important to me, as I'm currently living solely off of student financial aid.

4. Finally, what is the difference between vaping flowers, oil, wax, and other things? I was advised to begin with flowers due to my being very sensitive to substances, but I have noticed that pens designed specifically for oil and wax appear to be cheaper. I guess that I would like to expand upon this question and ask if there is a reason for that?

I apologize, I do realize that this was kind of long, but I really appreciate any and all input! Thank you in advance!

Than do not get the PAX as it is one of the smelliest portables on the market. 

Do you need a vape to use when you're out and about or are you going to be only vaping at home?

3. Thank you for the response! I initially only planned to vape at home, but I think I'll probably be doing it on the go as well (particularly in between classes).

4. For your situation, id recommend the launch box! Just learn how to hit it correctly, get a fine grind, and you're golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. ^^   Good advice.   Also, check out the FireFly.    It's quite a bit bigger and heavier than the MFLB but if you like great taste, it's pretty hard to beat but if stealthiness trumps taste, the MFLB is the winner.

6. I love my pax. Besides, the Ploom 2 comes with tobacco pods or something and it'll be a hassle to crack them open and put weed inside. Id get the pax but its $250. Ive heard great things about the Launch Box

Yes, the Pax is rather smelly compared to say the MFLB. I tested this out last night with my wife. I smoked the Pax in the house, and asked her if she could smell it, and she said it wasn't strong, but she could definitely smell it. So I went to my nook in the garage to finish up the session. 

I wonder how the Vaporblunt 2.0 handles this as well, and if this is just a side-effect of an "always on" vaporizer. The MFLB shuts off after you let off the battery so its going to have very little smell if at all. The Firefly is huge compared to the Pax, but its a rather interesting looking device. The bowl is kind of small, but I've heard they are excellent vaporizers and popular (at least up in Va lol). 

I'll let you now my experience with the Vaporblunt 2.0 after this weekend as far as the smell goes. No review has really said anything in regards to smell, so I guess I'll find out in a few days.

8. #8 Rinoa, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
    Thank you all so much for your input, you've helped me a lot! So, it sounds like the PAX is high-quality, although odious, and the FireFly might be a better option. I'm eager to hear your experience with the Vaporblunt 2.0, @[member="ren.dnb"]!

I read up on the MFLB, and people seem to have a love-hate relationship with it, although it definitely looks worth a try also! I think that I might start there until my financial situation improves, although I dunno, I kind of want to save up and invest in a FireFly. Ugh, decisions.

The one answer I'm still seeking is to Question 4. I live in a city full of dispensaries, and many of them offer great deals on wax. I just don't know anything about it, or oil, or any of that other stuff. I've also heard of how you can buy cartridges for pens, but is that as good as using flowers? Thanks again!

9. #9 lwien, Apr 22, 2014
    Don't know anything about concentrates so I can't help ya out there, but I do know a lot about vaporizers and I can shed some light on this love/hate relationship with the MFLB.    There IS a learning curve with it and if you really follow through with the user tips on how to get the most out of it, there is a VERY good chance that you will fall in love with it.    The problem is though, that if you miss one or some of the very important steps with it, there is also a VERY good chance that you will hate it.     What this all boils down to, for the most part, is user error.   

Example.   The MFLB REQUIRES a very fine grind.   It is not forgiving in this regard.
    The MFLB requires a VERY slow draw.   It is not forgiving in this regard.
    The MFLB requires that you shake the hell out of it between every hit.    It is not forgiving in this regard.
    There are a few other rules that you must follow as well.

None of the above is hard or complicated.   You just need to know what it takes to get the most out of it and if you do these things, like I said, more than likely, you will fall in love with it.    One just has to look at the MFLB appreciation thread to know that the majority of users here REALLY like it.

10. #10 ren.dnb, Apr 22, 2014

HAHA!! Iwien said it all right there. I first got my MFLB a Thursday night to test out vaporizing. Plus, the store was selling it for 100$ so I really couldn't turn it down. I specifically asked for a good vaporizer that would give me the feel of it, as well as be relatively inexpensive for quality. When I got it, I read over the instructions and it was really specific. 

Just like Iwien said, its really not forgiving if you don't follow the instructions to the T. I followed them, fell in love with vaping, now I own a Pax which I bought the next day and soon a vaporblunt (ok I'll stop talking about it till I get it lol.. just excited). If you don't follow the instructions you can mess up your MFLB pretty bad or hate vaping lol.

I didn't tumble the load once and the stuff on the bottom got black and almost combusted.
    I didn't take a slow draw on it a few times and took harder pulls. The load eventually combusted and made a nice little stain on the screen/trench.
    I didn't have a fine grind because I was using an el cheapo grinder on the first few loads. It didn't like that too much and the stuff didn't vaporize like it should have. Santa Cruz Shredder fixed the grind for me.

The Pax took all that guess work out for me, but I still do like the MFLB because.... its so effective for how simple the design is. Enter the Firefly, which is basically a high tech version of the MFLB. Its convection heating so it swirls hot air around the load; basically the thing gets hotter as you draw on it. You can control the heat simply by pressing the button and holding it, then releasing as you draw. Similar to the MFLB. 

If I were you Rinoa, I'd start with the MFLB just to get started vaping.... then save up for the Firefly if you can do that. Plus, the MFLB comes in a cool stash box!

11. Wax and other concentrates are for people with a higher tolerance or just people looking to get f*cked up in my opinion. Wax is also a very intense bodily high when compared to vaping herb which is more of a head high, not as much bodily. Both of which are head and body highs just one more so than the other.

On to the vape pens. In my opinion, don't buy one like the atmos or g-pen, many people have issues with quality about those. It is better to get a ecig type model with EGO/510 connections, you only need the battery and an atty for concentrates like the Gentleman's V2 Oil Atty (Previously named V2 Hash/Oil I believe) The best way to use concentrates using a pen form is by using a VV/VW (Variable Voltage/Wattage) or mechanical type mod. These are usually more expensive, some clones of mech mods and some mech mods can be found fairly cheaply at around $20-45. But then you still need to buy a battery (18xxx series for most). Batteries aren't too expensive either. Next you need a RDA/RBA (Rebuildable atomizers) which are fairly inexpensive also depending on the model, and if it's a clone or not. With rebuildables you must make coils to use them. But rebuildables are capable of enough heat like a rig and nail to properly hit concentrates, unlike a smaller EGO style while capable of doing concentrates just doesn't come close to this.

Lastly, do yourself and all of us a favor if you're ever thinking of getting a mech mod or VV/VW device. PLEASE educate yourself on battery safety, coil safety, resistance, and wattage/voltage. Before making any decisions. It really isn't that hard to do it, but too many people are hurting themselves or breaking things by not properly educating themselves and just jumping right in. I'm not saying this will happen to you if you do decide to go this route, but just warning you, freak shit can happen. Also don't let any of this steer you away from mod devices, they are very good at what they do. But please don't be stupid about it.

Sent from my Speak and Spell

12. You guys have all been amazingly helpful, and I'm so grateful! I'm glad that I came to this forum. Well, I'm still undecided, but am down to deciding between a Solo, FireFly, and Pax. @Iwien has made the FireFly sound so appealing! I think that my only issue with it is the fact that you control the temperature through taking hits; basically, that every hit starts at a low temp and works its way up (from what I understand, anyway). I'd like to be able to control my temperature better - I know that I would need low-temp hits, probably - but otherwise, I'm definitely sold on that unit. I decided that investing in a good vape would be way better than just looking for something cheap, so I rearranged my finances to accomodate. :p

13. Please give serious consideration to the Solo which may be a bit better than the FireFly for accurate low temp vaping.

14. id really recommend the pax man. i got mine for $80. best $80 ive ever spent. its vaporizes the bud completely , its really simple to use. my only complaint is it doesnt hold charge long. i use it alot so im stuck charging it almost everyday for an hour or two. its great though, i promise you wont e disappointed.

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

15. btw, ive never used a modeltwo but i heard the pax is more stealthy.

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

16. You have a fake pax, no pax is $80.

17. Thank you, everyone, for your input! @Iwien, your knowledge is extremely impressive. I spoke to a representative from Arizer regarding the Solo as well as a member of the FireFly team regarding my concerns pertaining to temperature control, and I made my decision: in two days, I'm going to be the proud new owner of a FireFly. Now I just wonder if I can't find a place that makes custom skins for them, because it would be pretty sweet to have a Final Fantasy skin. :p

18. ...Actually, before I do this, I suppose there isn't one thing I didn't consider. Which one is more efficient with herb?

19. #20 Nate489, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
    Can't speak for the FireFly but my solo packs about .15 and thats enough to get about 20+ hits on 3 for me. Granted herb quality and grind texture plays into that as well.

I can also pack about .05 or so in the stem and that gives me the perfect before work buzz. Not blasted but im smiling and ready to start the day.