pasturizing soil and newbie questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by secret agent, Oct 18, 2013.

1. ok so im planning my first indoor grow small 2 plants on my bookshelf and without thinking i've done everything on a low budget it's not the fact that i cant get some soil it's more about i wanna see if i can do an entire grow setup for under $50 and i have most of my setup done now it's all about getting soil and water so i was thinking instead of baking could you grill soil for a while to pasturize it? also i have a pond at my house so would that be good water for nutrients? it gets to 40 degrees at night so i assume most bugs are dead but there have been fish and frogs in the water so would that be good? or should i stick to regular water? im not really expecting all that much my main goal for my first grow is to keep the plants alive i am also planning on leaving for a trip in about a week so should i leave my lights on 24/0 for a week or hold off until i get back to get started? and no im not spending like more than 10 dollars on some special hps light or anything just lights you would use in your house so this is what it is going to look like (hopefully) i also plan on getting 2 maybe 3 more lamps in there and taking out the shelf on top to screw them up above and also i have a small fan maybe 7 inches from blade to blade to i was going to get a sheet of drywall to cover up the bookshelf for reflection + to hide it (not that i have to just if somebody goes in my room they might mess with my stuff but they wont if there is drywall there cause who messes with drywall.. but i was gonna have a small fan blowing air in and i was going to make another hole for the fan pictured which is a normal size and have that at the bottom would this be sufficient circulation and my house is always at around 77 (F) so i think the temps in the bookshelf should be at maybe 80-85 i can turn my heat to 65 without anyone in my house saying anything about it so how do you guys think this is going to turrn out? will it work?
    DSC01960.JPG grilling some soil currently 
    DSC01958.JPG the pong water is more green and alot deeper than it looks 
    DSC01957.JPG my bookshelf i covered it in tyvek house wrapfor reflection because it was on hand and like i said im trying to do it cheap the first time so the next time i can actually do things right 
    DSC01956.JPG this should be the bigger fan sorry if these pictures are too big or out of order :( i am big newb

2. #2 secret agent, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
    cmon guys i need some adviceee

3. really blades... 130+ views and nobody can answer any of my ?'s... :(

4. pasteurizing soil? what for?

5. put all your budget into lights you need at least 100 actual watts clf for one plant i would go 150..then get flora nova bloom for the whole grow or like jacks classic if you cant find flora nova

6. You can improve cheap soil for a few bucks, or mix it yourself. Outdoor soil belongs outdoors. When we use soil indoors we mimic outdoor conditions, perlite and wormcastings provide the aeration, drainage, and microbes that would normally be supplied by worms and bugs living in the dirt. Once you remove the worms, bugs, and fungus you have a dead soil that will compact itself on the roots, starving them of oxygen.

Just because it works in your yard doesn't mean it's going to do well after you bake it and dump it into a pot. You should do a lot more reading.

7. i am mixing 1 bag of store bought soil miracle grow time release something or another and a little bit of this it is going to be 3/4 a cup of store bought soil and 1/4 cup of outdoor soil + i bought nightcrawlers and wax worms for fishing and i plan on putting them in the soil aswell the main reason for using baked dirt is because i wanted to see what the texture compared it to the store bought soil would be 

8. Those worms are going to stand up and run away from that miracle grow, they won't stay in that garbage. I keep redworms for composting, if they don't like something they just crawl out and leave.

Cheers and goodluck :bongin:

9. I opened due to the title... pasteurizing? Ok what's this about....

I stopped reading at "without thinking".