Pastor arrested for holding home Bible study

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by katsung47, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Pastor arrested for holding home Bible study

July 11, 2012

Today, Michael Salman sits in jail following a raid on his home because thecity doesn't allow people to hold private Bible studies on their own property!Fox News quoted Phoenix City Prosecutor Vicki Hall as saying, "It camedown to zoning and proper permitting. Anytime you are holding a gathering ofpeople continuously as he does, we have concerns about people being able toexit the facility properly in case there is a fire."

http://www.examiner.com/article/pastor-arrested-for-holding-home-bible-study

2. I see no problem with this...

3. so we're just arresting people now because they are practicing their religion in the confines and safety of their own homes?

America is fucking up. Badly.

4. So... he wasn't arrested for holding home Bible Study, but because he had too many people gathering at his place which was seen as a fire hazard.

Oh, and that he apparently had enough people gathering there that it became essentially a church, while he was not on property zoned to be a church.

examiner.com has this to say about it:
    "The Salmans have been gathering in the home since 2005, but in 2007 they did receive a notice from the City of Phoenix that Bible studies and other church-like activities are not permitted in a residence unless the property is converted to an A3 occupancy, which allows commercial and public use."

Gee, so he had some previous warning and didn't bother to fix the problem. :p

I wonder how many people would be getting all pissy about this if he were an atheist holding large atheist meetings in his residential household.

5. [quote name='"junkiedays"']So... he wasn't arrested for holding home Bible Study, but because he had too many people gathering at his place which was seen as a fire hazard.

Oh, and that he apparently had enough people gathering there that it became essentially a church, while he was not on property zoned to be a church.

examiner.com has this to say about it:
    "The Salmans have been gathering in the home since 2005, but in 2007 they did receive a notice from the City of Phoenix that Bible studies and other church-like activities are not permitted in a residence unless the property is converted to an A3 occupancy, which allows commercial and public use."

Gee, so he had some previous warning and didn't bother to fix the problem. :p

I wonder how many people would be getting all pissy about this if he were an atheist holding large atheist meetings in his residential household.[/quote]

What would they discuss at an atheist meeting lol

6. Wow you must have very selective reading. The very next sentence after your quote says " Michael Salmon argued his case pointing out that their gatherings are not opened to the public. Just like in the Bible, gatherings were among believers who knew one another. It was part of body life. With only 15-20 people meeting, Salmon argued that the code was unconstitutional. They tried to take steps to meet the requirements, but did not want to become a commercial entity."

This man owns 4 and a half acres and isn't allowed to have 15 people over to discuss their belief in God? They are trying to make him pay for practicing his beliefs.. You honestly think this is over a safety concern?

This is the government slowly taking our rights from us. One by one.

-"Michael Salman is serving 60 days in jail for "creating an unsafe building environment." He has received a $12,180 fine for his crime and he's looking at probation."

Unbelievable..

7. #7 *guest, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

According to this article, they only even became aware of the situation after neighbors complained about traffic congestion from the amount of people gathering at his house.

"The gatherings were originally attended by as many as 15 people."

This was taking place three times a week. This isn't a once in a while Bible study, this is enough people meeting on his property three times a week that neighbors were complaining about the congestion. Which occurred THREE TIMES A WEEK. :p

And I still say that none of these people would be throwing a fuss at all if he were an atheist. Holding atheist meetings three times a week, clogging up his neighborhood, and ignoring city codes that he'd already been warned about.

8. Still though,jail time and a $12,000 fine?!

That just seems a little over the top.I mean a fine of a few thousand would have been understandable.

9. Why would no one care if they were atheist meetings?

10. I highly doubt that somebody who sponsored atheist meetings would have behaved as reckless, inconsiderate and uncooperative as he'd been doing for some time. Atheists do not believe that a supernatural entity is going to protect them from harm if there's a fire or other emergency in an overcrowded, unsafe environment.

And, just to set the record straight, atheists are among the most unpopular groups in the country, and it's been this way for a long time. Many keep their atheism a secret from employers, family and even friends because of widespread prejudice against it.

11. Wow, you would think that posting on a marijuana forum people would be less close-minded.

Athiests are getting more annoying than the two-faced Christians these days. Mention anything about god around SOME atheists and they feel the need to make it about themselves and how the world is against them.

12. If this was a group of stoners smoking some pot not harming anyone you would all be flipping the fuck out.

13. [quote name='"Demiurge"']If this was a group of stoners smoking some pot not harming anyone you would all be flipping the fuck out.[/quote]

Although I actually agree with this, what the fuck dude? All of your posts are negative as hell. I see you all over posting shit that has nothing to do with the thread, or just opposing anything anyone has to say. Having a high post count doesn't make you any Better than anybody. Why don't you just chill out.

14. The only atheists that are unpopular in this country are the ones that can't respect people who do believe in God.

15. Number one, the source is Fox.. I already assume its biased at that point.

Number two, it was a fire hazard, not because he was holding a bible study.

For fucks sake, people in this country take EVERYTHING as a threat against religion... Little do you know that you're a minority. Religion is a damn joke. I understand what its trying to accomplish, but people take it too far.

Basically what it comes down to, he should get the right permits and quit blaming his stupidity and ignorance on somthing that is misconstrued.

16. Honestly, regardless of religion, this dude doesn't deserve jail time. We have a right called freedom of religion and they were doing exactly that. The city just knew it was for religion and weren't getting paid because he didn't buy land for a church or w.e

Quite stupid

17. Isn't about the fact they were studying the bible, it was safety issues.

18. More government control over everyday life. Pretty soon the Federal government will be baby-proofing all of our houses because the corners of the counter might hurt me. They should take knives away while they're at it; I can't count how many times I've cut myself with one of those evil things.

19. Ahhh just another story that's been blown up to spread malice.

To put it simply he got what he did because he refused to follow instructions and disregarded warnings. It's not that they hate christians, hell christians get away with everything in America because everyone's afraid of being politically correct, such as this case. It wouldn't have mattered who was on that property the city would have done the same to anyone elsee.

20. Are you fucking serious?! Whites, Christians, and men are the only groups people don't give a shit about when it comes to political correctness.