Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

past drug use and finding job in criminal justice

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by phillymaniac49, May 19, 2012.

1. So i have smoked about a year, like once or twice a week. I'm currently 18, freshman in college. I am majoring in chemistry, looking to be a forensic toxologist, or something in the forensic sciences field.
    For those not familiar, a forensic toxicologist performs scientific tests on tissue samples and bodily fluids in order to determine whether any foreign drugs or chemicals are present in the body. As part of a crime investigating team, a forensic toxicologist will identify substances within the body that may have caused the crime.

I only thought that past drug use pertained to police officers, but I have read that it may apply to any criminal justice job depending on the dept. I am looking at an intern that would be good, and it says "Due to the fact that successful applicants may work closely with narcotics detectives, a zero tolerance policy is in effect as it pertains to past participation in the drug trade." Also says that I would have to undergo a polygraph test, which I would assume would ask about my drug history. By the words participating in drug trade, does that mean selling? I have never sold in my life, only bought. Should I even bother applying? Should I look into changing major/career path?

Thanks blades, jus stressin:(

2. Have a backup plan, law enforcement employers are very very very very very strict in their application process and past drug use may disqualify you out of hundreds of other applicants. I've seen it happen to friends and family even though they haven't used in decades.

3. yeah a backup is a good idea. I was in the same boat and had to switch career choices too.

4. Go into engineering. They're always needed.

But you should be ok as far as the polygraph. They just don't want Mexican cartels taking over here too lol

5. what did you switch to, I honestly have no clue what a backup plan would even be. Maybe I should look into the military and go from there

6. #6 TokinGolfer, May 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2012

Knock out your general education requirements and see what you enjoy. You don't need to declare your major until your junior year and chances are you'll change your mind by then anyways. I entered college thinking I was going to major in accounting. Now I'm a senior and double majoring in psychology and political science and then heading off to law school. My sister entered college to be a teacher and instead she ended up an anthropologist digging around in the dirt. Not many people stick with the career path they chose in high school simply because college opens your eyes to hundreds of other pathways.

7. I actually decided on being a vet. starting school in the fall! really glad i ended up switching my career dream up.

TokinGolfer is right. I know a lot of people who started going to uni and ended up switching majors around and stuff. You don't have to figure your whole life out when you're so young. If you try you're just going to get stressed and overwhelmed for nothing.