Passing of a relative and my new job.

Discussion in 'General' started by Pauly420, Oct 14, 2011.

1. So one of my close relatives is really sick and my parents told me they will most likely be passing soon. I just got a job a few days ago and start training next week. What do i do or should i expect if i have to go home for the funeral and other family things if i just got this job? I dont want them to fire me becuase I had to go to a funeral. But i will most likely have to be gone for a week because thats the only ride i have there and back.

2. If you know that missing the funeral will not negatively affect your relationship with your family then stay home and work. If it's going to ruin relationships if you miss the funeral, take the work off, even at the risk of losing your job, and go.

3. Do you think most jobs would fire you/think you were lying if you said that the first week you worked there?

4. You can request confirmation of death from the Red Cross so you can get out of work.

5. I'm not a bad employee at all. I'm an ideal canidate for alot of jobs just by how i act, and the fact that i never have missed days. Its just i cant miss this if it actually happens, and i dont want to be screwed out of a job because they think im some unreliable deadbeat.

6. Like I said, if it happens get a confirmation of death from the Red Cross and show it to work. First thing to do is ask them for the time off rather than saying "I need a week off..." Explain why you "would like" to go not "need to go." Tell them how long you would likely be there. And then ask them point blank if this will affect your job status.

At least that's what I would do. You have to do what your intuition tells you.