Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Parents who use medical marijuana

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Jovet, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Hello.  I am looking for some fellow parents to sound in on some parenting issues.

So my husband and I are medical marijuana users.  Since we have had our child (she is 5 mos. old) we have taken precautions against exposure:  
         -We use covered metal pipes that don't release much smoke
         -We use a carbon filter product that is a very good spliff (called the "Smoke Buddy")
         -We have several fans circulating air constantly
         -We don't smoke when she is being held or within 10 feet of us, and the bedroom is off limits

So we want to raise her to understand that marijuana is just another medication when used like a medication, like grandma's pills for her heart or auntie's "sad" pills or mommy's pills for when she starts sneezing a lot - which change the way she acts, too. We don't want to give her the feeling that marijuana is bad or something secret and has to be hidden, but we also don't want to normalize it.  While my husband and I support medical and recreational use of marijuana, we both know people who were raised in hideous situations where marijuana was abused (one friend had his mother pop a joint in his mouth when he was a toddler).  We won't be THAT bad, but we are trying to decide, do we keep her from seeing us smoke by going into a closed room, or do we allow her to see us smoking?  While I would have no issue taking the Benadril mentioned above, due to the -way- the marijuana is ingested (daddy smokes and eats his, mommy smokes hers) and the fact that she cannot be near us when it is used, it is different.

Please don't sound in if your advice is to not smoke.  The both of us have massive pain issues, and the thing which deals with it and keeps us most cognizant is marijuana.  I won't get into it but suffice to say it is the best thing for us. 

So any parents who use medical marijuana on a regular basis out there have experience?  How did you handle your children seeing it?  Did/do you hide it or is is open?  Do you regret your choice?  I know this may be early, but if there is anyone out there who grew up in a medical marijuana home, I'm interested in hearing from you as well.

Thanks!

2. First of all good for you for taking a mature stance on this subject as it can be tricky for manyin this world of grey areas with cannabis. My son is 5 and he knows that when daddy smokes his medicine its just the same as any other medication and needs to be respected and not abused. I dont live with him anymore as im seperated from my ex his mom but when he visits or I do I dont hide it and usually just step outside real quick andmedicate. Best thing you coud do for smoking indoors and not worrying about exposingur child to smokeis use a vaporizer or a vape pen. Id suggest using concentrates as well like hash oil or bubble hash. You smoke less and ur not smoking a bunch of plant matter.

3. #3 Mr.Otter, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
     I used to be a kid raised in a house full of smokers and I can tell you the precautions you're taking now is a good thing imo. When I was growing up it was something in the house my parents did all the time (they weren't as courteous about it as you and your husband are.) and the biggest mistake they made was not being open about it with us. They did it out in the living room and stuff but they never sat down and talked to me and my brothers about it. It was just kind of unspoken. When you're young you are very influential and when my parents never told me their view of the spectrum I was left to get my opinions from public school. I remember the day I realized that what my parents had been doing all my life is smoking pot and at first I thought it was horrible and it left me with some really negative opinions about smoking for a portion of my young life. It really stressed me out at times as child.

My advice would be just to be open and honest about what's going on so your kid learns from you instead of figuring out some other way and just be respectful to your child about it. Which it sounds like you already are.

4. Do you live in a state where it is legal?  If not, I would not let your child see.  5 months old, yeah, the child won't remember, but once they can talk, I wouldn't.  Why?

If they are school age, they are constantly told "say no to drugs" and taught all drugs are bad.  You don't want your child seeing a film about the dangers of MJ, and telling their teacher that their parents have a pipe like that, or whatever.  You might end up with DHR (or some other welfare/government agency) stepping into your lives.  Once you are involved with them your life is not your own.

If you have neighbors that don't approve of MJ, and they smell it, they could call DHR and you could get in trouble for smoking it around your child.  If the child hasn't seen you do it, then when they are questioned they won't know what in the hell they're asking about.  

Sad that things have to be that way, but better to be safe.  Also, I would just never smoke where it could be absorbed by little lungs...cigs, or MJ.  

5. They stated they were Medical MJ users so Im guessing they are in compassionate state with med mj laws. :p but yes your totally right in states where its illegal definitely agood approach. Biggest thing as a parent you can do is just be honest andpresent them with the facts whenthey are age appropriate enough to understand it and absorb what ur telling themproperly.

6. #6 Jovet, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
    Yes, we are lucky to live in a state where it is legal. I started researching mj in college when I had a bf who smoked. After deciding D.A.R.E. was full o' crap, I tried it and became an occasional user until my migraines (head trauma from accident @12) got so bad I was taking large doses of OTC meds and doing damage. Mj had always helped so I got my permit. It was that or 10 Tylenol, 10 ibuprofen a day (and organ damage); opioids, or meds that worked poorly and were prohibitively expensive.
    I've also had friends with terrible parents that used irresponsibly, and I grew up with parents who smoked (cigarettes) and allowed me no choice In the matter. I won't put my baby girl last. But I know I have to take care of myself to take care of her. I am unsafe and dangerous and unable to take care of her if I have a migraine, but when I medicate, I'm good. I study psychology, and adopt practices based on evidence from studies, but was stumped on this. Prevailing wisdom : don't do it and you are terribly selfish if you do. Reality: sometimes life sucks and we have to choose between evils. We just have to make the best possible choice we can.

I grew up under D.A.R.E. and have seen the research that shows scare tactics backfire- when someone learns you are lying about one thing (pot) they think you are lying abut another (say, meth). I also have an alcoholic sister, so we plan on being very open and up-front with her, but how much is the conundrum? We aren't worried about DHS as The most my state can do is deny you services from WIC. And I think that's only if you are breastfeeding (I'm not, unrelated med condition).

Today I gave my DH a bong to put away when I was cleaning. I put it in the table and she reached for it and made a sucking motion with her mouth. We don't know if she thought it was a bottle- she does the same with a soda or tea bottle- or if she was imitating us. We have a lock box for everything but I don't want to do the wrong thing. I don't want her to be resentful, like some kids of pot smokers I know. But I also don't want her growing up thinking bad things about us because of our "secret". It's good to know others have gone through this and think about these same issues.

And special thanks to ExtraNirvana, for the opinion of a kid raised in the situation!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. So does your ex use? If so, how does she handle it? I assume your ex knows and is ok? But do you feel you have to hide it from other family members? How do you handle it?

We are looking into vape pens. Any recommendations?

8. You can't smoke in the house with a kid.  There's just as much ambient pollution in the whole house.  Go outside, get a pen that takes CO2 cartridges, use edibles, but don't smoke in the house.  It's not good to smoke ANYTHING on a regular basis in a house with a kid.  Please, don't do it.

Secondarily, your kid will pretty easily pick up, on her clothes, and her hair and skin, the smell of marijuana.  People WILL notice.

And totally aside, do you have a lockbox that your medicine goes in?  Not just cannabis medicine, but all medicine?

9. Oh, and I couldn't give a crap if she sees it.  It's the breathing and the saturation that are a bad thing.  My kids all know this is my medicine, and the kids old enough to understand know that it's cannabis medicine, and we've had a bunch of talks about it.

10. #10 Stormy Sea, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    All I can say on this is that as a kid I was always very upset when my mom would try to sneak off and toke.

I felt like it must be a bad thing because she had to hide that she was doing it from me.

However, she also just didn't want me to be breathing it in or around it, and just never explained that to me. I assumed the worst.

You should talk to her when she's a bit older if you haven't already and explain why you do it in another room, and that kids should never breathe in smoke because their brains are still developing, and they're still maturing, and all that. Sounds like you've done a good enough job of that though.

If you're in another closed room and vaping, it's highly, highly, highly, highly (I don't think I can say highly enough) unlikely she'll breathe in enough carcinogens to have any effect whatsoever on her lungs, or even notice the smell, and she definitely won't get any second hand high from it, it's been proven almost impossible even in a hot boxed car. The human body is pretty efficient, we don't give it enough credit. You should be just fine. Do it near a window or something if you're worried about a lingering scent and the smoke. Vapes don't usually give off too much though.

Cigarettes are a whole nother thing though, I'd never smoke a cigarette in a house a kid (or even a non-smoker) lived in. Never. That shit lingers. Kudos to you for caring so much about your effects on her health, always nice to see great parents.

PS: If you don't have one I strongly advise switching to a vaporizer that doesn't give off as much scent, it's a lot harder to hide if you're just straight up burning the plant. There's not much I can say about smokebuddy because I've never used it, but... yep, healthier alternative for everyone around you.

11. ive aways grown cannabis and smoked it ,but ive never smoked around my kids in the house,,,sure they probably saw me smoke in the garden ,,i'd just put the joint down ,but they aways knew i smoked it for medical reasons,,,,ive never hidden the fact from them ,the same as growing when they were old enough to ask me i told them about cannabis how it helps in pain relief etc,,,,my kids now are all adults now with their own kids ,,,seeing me smoke in the garden and growing cannabis never hurt them just dont smoke in a room with kids about ,,and when old enough tell them the truth dont lie to them ,,kids hate their parents that lie.......mac

12. When we visit my in-laws, we go outside. They live on a large rural property in a legal state. We, however, live in an apartment for now. While I am fully legal, you are not allowed to use where you can easily be seen. That means closed window shades and no discernible smell from outside. And I don't want the hassle of dealing with the cops if someone smells it or to fight my apt if they want to try and evict- there are loopholes written on the law for that- so, so far it's indoors for us. Although we do try and smoke near the porch, which overlooks a wetlands. Like I said, we are looking into vape pens. I've tried vaping, eating, etc but smoking was the best most effective method for me. However, I've added DBHO and shatter and the like and that worked well so I have high hope for the vape pen.

13. Yeah, the office store had a sale and we got combo lock boxes. Mommy has one for my meds, even vitamins, daddy has his, and there is one for the mj. We have a ton of mr. Yuck stickers and are fully baby proofing. DH grew up in a day care so knows EXACTLY how to baby proof!

14. [quote name="Kiyohime" post="19763954" timestamp="1396077469"]All I can say on this is that as a kid I was always very upset when my mom would try to sneak off and toke.

I felt like it must be a bad thing because she had to hide that she was doing it from me.

That's what I want to avoid! It's not bad but just like you don't take insulin without diabetes, you don't us mj unless medically necessary- unless you are a full grown adult whose brain is done growing and you are making an informed decision, as with alcohol.

15. It sounds a lot like you're in my state.  Just fyi, vape pens for flower usually combust rather than vape, so the smell and harshness are still there, though not quite as much.  But I'm looking at getting a vapir NO2, which you can get for under $100, which appears to be a portable vaporizer (not a pen, just smaller than a big one).

I really like the CO2 oil vape pens (like o.pen).  Those are fantastic, and don't create smell or residues or anything polluting in the air.  And if you're in the major metropolis in the state I'm in, they're not hard to find at dispensaries.

Yeah, I agree.  It's only if WE make it some shameful secret (or if we're abusing it) that it becomes A Big Thing for the kids.

16. #16 orbweaver, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
    Maybe this is excessively paranoid on my part, but as someone who has had several family members lose their children (in some cases, for no justifiable reason at all) -  

Something you may want to consider - is not letting your kids see you take your medical marijuana until they're old enough to understand that it's not wise to tell everyone. 

Kids just being innocently honest about various things (ranging from medical marijuana, to being Wiccans, to virtually everything you could think of) have led to all kinds of trouble with Child Protective Services for lots of people that I know, and once CPS is on your back, it's VERY hard to get them OFF your back. They're harder to get rid of than cockroaches. 

Once CPS has decided you're a person of interest to them, they will interpret anything and everything as evidence of your bad parenting. 

Virtually everything at that point from having a slightly messy house to being poor or having anything at all other than being a squeaky clean upper middle class white Christian married heterosexual homeowner family, will stack up against you, once they've decided you're worthy of their attention. 

If you google +"CPS" and +"Medical Marijuana", you will find there are lots of cases of parents who have lost or facing losing their children due to medical marijuana use. 

Orbweaver's advice is wise. The concern about second-hand smoke, however, has no basis in science. There is not a single, valid study showing that second-hand cannabis smoke is harmful; which is not surprising given that smoking cannabis, even first-hand, does not increase the risk of lung cancer or heart disease. Similarly, there is no evidence that cannabis use during pregnancy harms the fetus; but there is evidence showing that it does no harm.

18. I have been a medical marijuana patient since before my daughter was born, and she's now 7.  We have always maintained that it was our medicine and that it's something that we discuss in private as a family and she understands she is not to discuss it with outsiders.  That it's perfectly normal.  I am a second generation MJ user, and my parents taught me to respect the plant and what it does for you, and I'm teaching my daughter the same.  As she gets older and more curious she will be educated with the best information I can find for her.

Fortunately she hates our medicine now and we strive very hard to keep her away from it.  It is impossible to conceal it 100% to someone living in your household, and a family built on deceit is not very strong at all.  So don't HIDE it from your kids, but don't make it look like too much fun either.  

As more and more states either legalize or go medical it's a lot easier to deal with.  Fortunately I'm in Los Angeles, California and practically all our friends are 420 friendly.  Those that aren't don't know about us.  

19. Id like to state that you should not smoke around your kids. Let them know but dont expose them to it at such a young age. As for a vape id suggest building your own. Theyre cheaper, and better cost me 27 for a full setup

20. Should she refrain from taking advil, or an antidepressant or cholesterol-lowering medication in front of her kid, too?