Parents interfering with my life (im sure you can relate)

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by devilsheep, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Right so its 12:26am and i work in 6 hours but I can't seem to sleep because I have a lot of things on my mind right now.

Basically right now, specifically my dad, are trying to get me to quit marijuana altogether. This means I can't touch it, not even occasionally, because they don't see any possible way I can be serious about going to college (not university, i live in canada) and getting some sort of education.

The way i view it, i'm going to go to college once i find the right program for me and I'm going to go live on res, have a great time, drink andd smoke when its needed still, and still leave with my diploma.

It really frustates me that my parents can't see past the fact that weed doesn't stop anyone from achieving anything, it's all the person. My dad smoked alot of weed at the same age I am right now (18) and eventually was smoking all day everyday and it got him fired from his job and eventually just never did anything productive with his life. He didn't graduate highschool and said whenever he smoked he'd just get bad anxiety yet he still smoked all the time.

With me I smoke weed when I want to, but I don't let it get in the way of things. If i need to go to work or get some reading/studying done I know i cant do this if im high and will wait till after it's done.. and then toke up and enjoy where my thoughts take me.

My dad's threatening to make the 12 grand I have stored away for school inaccessible to me unless i'm able to prove to him that im off weed altogether and apparently will drug test me in school if I go.. but you know what i simply cant compromise with this.. And havent been this has been going on for a few months now..

I dunno just felt like venting, but i'm determined to convince them that I'll be fine because I know ill be fine, he's just viewing weed the only way he knows it.. destructive. But weed affects everyone differently and i know im fine

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks blades :)

2. Dude your Dad just care about you a lot, your lucky. Just don't burn until your done with college and are living on your own.

3. Prove him wrong. Graduate highschool if you haven't with good ass grades, then go to college and show him you can be productive with cannabis.

4. Would you stop smoking weed temporarily for 12,000$? Because this is basically an offer to you. Dude, think of it like this, if you stay clean for an entire YEAR and he drug tests you a LOT, that's a good thing. The next year he may drug test you for your first semester but if you stay clean and don't give him a reason to worry he'll probably quit doing that altogether.
    So gain his trust and keep that 12 grand bro. Its tough at first but time heals all wounds, even psychological addictions. Except cigarettes... thats for life bro.

5. Oh that's nice your trying to trick him in to being successful lol :hello:

6. Why don't you click click and ship a bitch to the beach today! Tired of old smelly mud crabs? you lovers got a sandy crack? try new cracker respray cans only 9.99!!!! IS SUOUOOUOUOUPAAA crazy!

7. Dudde just chill out on the pot until you go to whatever Canada considers to be a college. Probably like...idk some sort of ice hockey rink where you get grades for scoring goals and then take a test over the game tape.

I failed out of college because I wouldn't chill out on the smoking. I was out finding hookups and fuckin bitches while I should have been studying. Then I kept drinking and eventually fuckin more bitches. Man college is fun...but study!

8. You're 18 years old, just take your money. I'm assuming it is YOUR money that is saved right? Call a lawyer if he refuses to give it to you, that is illegal.

9. parents need to know when to let go .... shit gets annyoing im a person not your little bitch but ya THANKS for all the bullshit info about weed out there so parents can freak out when it gets mentioned

10. Ugh, it bothers me when parents hold their money over their kids' heads in order to get them to toe the line. Don't they realize they're just driving their kids away?

I think you should take into consideration all angles of this problem. Does your dad try to control you in other areas of your life, or is it just with weed? Has he treated you well enough in the past to deserve putting this restriction on you? Would you be able to quit for that long? Are you a good student right now, or are you struggling? Do you think it's fair that in order to get the college money, you should have to quit weed? Do you even want to go to college, or is it something your parents dreamed up for you?

By the way, if your dad is so low because he screwed up his life, it's not too late for him to go back to school and make it right! I'm tired of people thinking that once they have kids, their life is over and any ambition they had has gone down the drain. One of my good friends at tech school is 57!

11. [quote name='"itslaudy"']parents need to know when to let go .... shit gets annyoing im a person not your little bitch but ya THANKS for all the bullshit info about weed out there so parents can freak out when it gets mentioned[/quote]

thats a great way to treat them after they put up with your ass for 18 years. giving u food, clothes, shelter all for free. and when they're most likely paying the thousands of $ for u to get fucked up in college

12. It does depend on the person, so all you can do is get good grades while still smoking and prove him wrong. If you're 18, he can't make the 12000 you have stored away in-accessible unless you've stored it away in his name.

Or just stop smoking for a bit, it's not a big deal. He's not asking you to change your major or marry someone, there can't be any harm from not smoking.

13. My dad and I are close and he caught me smoking a few years back. I stopped for a whole year because I know that is what he wanted me to do. I smoke occasionally but its different now because I'm older.

14. lolwut?

Even heavy smokers lungs can recover if they stop smoking cigs.

• 20 minutesYour blood pressure, pulse rate, and the temperature of your hands and feet will all return to normal.
    • 8 hoursRemaining nicotine in your bloodstream will have fallen to 6.25% of normal peak daily levels, a 93.25% reduction.
    • 12 hoursYour blood oxygen level will have increased to normal and carbon monoxide levels will have dropped to normal.
    • 24 hoursAnxieties peak in intensity and within two weeks should return to near pre-cessation levels.
    • 48 hoursDamaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal. Cessation anger and irritability peaks.
    • 72 hoursYour entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine. Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day will peak for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and the lungs functional abilities are starting to increase.
    • 5 - 8 daysThe "average" ex-smoker will encounter an "average" of three cue induced crave episodes per day. Although we may not be "average" and although serious cessation time distortion can make minutes feel like hours, it is unlikely that any single episode will last longer than 3 minutes. Keep a clock handy and time them.
    • 10 days10 days - The "average ex-user is down to encountering less than two crave episodes per day, each less than 3 minutes.
    • 10 days to 2 weeksRecovery has likely progressed to the point where your addiction is no longer doing the talking. Blood circulation in our gums and teeth are now similar to that of a non-user.
    • 2 to 4 weeksCessation related anger, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, impatience, insomnia, restlessness and depression have ended. If still experiencing any of these symptoms get seen and evaluated by your physician.
    • 21 daysBrain acetylcholine receptor counts up-regulated in response to nicotine's presence have now down-regulated and receptor binding has returned to levels seen in the brains of non-smokers.
    • 2 weeks to 3 monthsYour heart attack risk has started to drop. Your lung function is beginning to improve.
    • 3 weeks to 3 monthsYour circulation has substantially improved. Walking has become easier. Your chronic cough, if any, has likely disappeared.
    • 1 to 9 monthsAny smoking related sinus congestion, fatigue or shortness of breath have decreased. Cilia have regrown in your lungs thereby increasing their ability to handle mucus, keep your lungs clean, and reduce infections. Your body's overall energy has increased.
    • 1 yearYour excess risk of coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke has dropped to less than half that of a smoker.
    • 5 to 15 yearsYour risk of stroke has declined to that of a non-smoker.
    • 10 yearsYour risk of being diagnosed with lung cancer is between 30% and 50% of that for a continuing smoker (2005 study). Risk of death from lung cancer has declined by almost half if you were an average smoker (one pack per day). Your risk of pancreatic cancer has declined to that of a never-smoker (2011 study), while risk of cancer of the mouth, throat and esophagus has also declined.
    • 13 yearsYour risk of smoking induced tooth loss has declined to that of a never-smoker (2006 study).
    • 15 yearsYour risk of coronary heart disease is now that of a person who has never smoked.
    • 20 yearsFemale excess risk of death from all smoking related causes, including lung disease and cancer, has now reduced to that of a never-smoker (2008 study).

15. You use weed the same way as I do. I don't smoke when I have things to do. I use it as a reward once I finish all these things.

16. lolwut?

Even heavy smokers lungs can recover if they stop smoking cigs.

• 20 minutesYour blood pressure, pulse rate, and the temperature of your hands and feet will all return to normal.
    • 8 hoursRemaining nicotine in your bloodstream will have fallen to 6.25% of normal peak daily levels, a 93.25% reduction.
    • 12 hoursYour blood oxygen level will have increased to normal and carbon monoxide levels will have dropped to normal.
    • 24 hoursAnxieties peak in intensity and within two weeks should return to near pre-cessation levels.
    • 48 hoursDamaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal. Cessation anger and irritability peaks.
    • 72 hoursYour entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine. Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day will peak for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and the lungs functional abilities are starting to increase.
    • 5 - 8 daysThe "average" ex-smoker will encounter an "average" of three cue induced crave episodes per day. Although we may not be "average" and although serious cessation time distortion can make minutes feel like hours, it is unlikely that any single episode will last longer than 3 minutes. Keep a clock handy and time them.
    • 10 days10 days - The "average ex-user is down to encountering less than two crave episodes per day, each less than 3 minutes.
    • 10 days to 2 weeksRecovery has likely progressed to the point where your addiction is no longer doing the talking. Blood circulation in our gums and teeth are now similar to that of a non-user.
    • 2 to 4 weeksCessation related anger, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, impatience, insomnia, restlessness and depression have ended. If still experiencing any of these symptoms get seen and evaluated by your physician.
    • 21 daysBrain acetylcholine receptor counts up-regulated in response to nicotine's presence have now down-regulated and receptor binding has returned to levels seen in the brains of non-smokers.
    • 2 weeks to 3 monthsYour heart attack risk has started to drop. Your lung function is beginning to improve.
    • 3 weeks to 3 monthsYour circulation has substantially improved. Walking has become easier. Your chronic cough, if any, has likely disappeared.
    • 1 to 9 monthsAny smoking related sinus congestion, fatigue or shortness of breath have decreased. Cilia have regrown in your lungs thereby increasing their ability to handle mucus, keep your lungs clean, and reduce infections. Your body's overall energy has increased.
    • 1 yearYour excess risk of coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke has dropped to less than half that of a smoker.
    • 5 to 15 yearsYour risk of stroke has declined to that of a non-smoker.
    • 10 yearsYour risk of being diagnosed with lung cancer is between 30% and 50% of that for a continuing smoker (2005 study). Risk of death from lung cancer has declined by almost half if you were an average smoker (one pack per day). Your risk of pancreatic cancer has declined to that of a never-smoker (2011 study), while risk of cancer of the mouth, throat and esophagus has also declined.
    • 13 yearsYour risk of smoking induced tooth loss has declined to that of a never-smoker (2006 study).
    • 15 yearsYour risk of coronary heart disease is now that of a person who has never smoked.
    • 20 yearsFemale excess risk of death from all smoking related causes, including lung disease and cancer, has now reduced to that of a never-smoker (2008 study).

anyway i derailed this thread enough. Op in your situation i would just stop smoking. Its not that difficult and will ensure you get the money for your education.

If its relevant im a daily toker at a well established university working towards my degree in business.

17. I can definitely relate to you OP except for parents bribing money stop your own your own personal joys. If I were you, I would just take a break or keep in stealth mode (easier said then done) but that's pretty low as I can see.

18. uhhh....Canada has college and university too...
    how are you IN college and don't even know that universities exist here?

19. OK, you're 18. Move out. $12000.00 is serious change but it's only about 1 semester in a state university. Since you have a job, take care of yourself and quite bitching. If moving out at this point is not an option it's time for you to man-up and follow your parents rules until you can support yourself.

Now look at this logically. Do you think your parents are doing this because they're bored, or have nothing better to do? Kid, you're folks want you to be successful!
    From what you said it appears that your parents see your potential and want you to do everything in yours and their power to help you achieve that potential. They are coming at you from the standpoint of recognizing the mistakes they made and are trying to guide you in the right direction.

20. nobody asked to be born into this world they fucked made a baby and that is the consequence of their actions. a child to raise until adulthood.