Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

parents being ignorant

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Railer, Nov 26, 2012.

1. So my mom found like .2 of shake in my pocket, and is attempting to give me a lecture on how dangerous it is and how its so unacceptable. I keep telling her I'm 19 years old, but I guess there house, there rules.

I just can't stand their condescending comments. She started with the illegal argument which was subsequently killed. I find it quite hypocritical and contradictory that my dad drinks at least a couple beers almost every day and my mom is prescribed amphetamine, and there both on antidepressants.

Don't get me wrong, I love both my parents. I just hate the ignorance.

I told them about how alcohol legal but obviously more harmful, and how prescriptions are illegal unless prescribed, and obvious exploitation of laws to create revenue. They understood, and finished with "There should be no drugs in the house at all". I made sure to explain alcohol is a drug.

Its just they are both extremely conservative. They only listen to fox shit. If either the FDA or Fox News were to come out with a statement sayingd marijuana isn't harmful I could probably hotbox my room.

I'm attempting to remain respectful and leave emotions out of this, but I'm just looking for some tips.

I'm not trying to make them marijuana legalization activists, just appease the emotions that come with finding tiny amounts of shake.

2. My suggestion is to hit up Granny and get her list of cannabis studies and show your parents. Anything they have negative against cannabis can be proven wrong (Well, most things. Can't prove them wrong on the legality of cannabis if you're not in a med state or a decriminalized state). Good luck, OP!

3. Get ready to hotbox! :smoking:

Swiss Study Finds Marijuana Use Alone May Benefit Some Teens (news - 2007)
    [FONT=&quot] Swiss Study Finds Marijuana Use Alone May Benefit Some Teens, U.S. Doctor Disagrees | Fox News[/FONT]

Cannabis 'Scrips to Calm Kids? (news - 2004) Cannabis 'Scrips to Calm Kids? | Fox News

Marijuana Compound Treats Multiple Health Issues (news – 2011)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana Compound Treats Multiple Health Issues | Fox News[/FONT]

Researchers study neuroprotective properties in cannabis (news -2012)
    Researchers study neuroprotective properties in cannabis | Fox News

Add these two to rub it in! One from WebMD, a respected, and reputable medical information source-

Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's (news - 2006)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's[/FONT]

And the other right from the news just a few weeks ago!

Pot compound seen as tool against cancer (news – 2012)
    [FONT=&quot]Pot compound seen as tool against cancer - SFGate[/FONT]

Now, you need to send me an email (bottom of my sig), so you will have 840 pages of links like those above to use whenever questions about cannabis come up!

Granny :wave:

4. Sounds like your parents aren't the type to be convinced.

My advice is just smoke up and keep your stash out of their sight and be more careful.

Maybe your parents know that weed isn't that bad but dont want you to go down a path where your using something in a similar fashion to anti-depressants/alcohol. Either way it's best to just keep it on the dl until you can move out cause speaking from experience trying to convince them will probably cause more problems than itl solve. your parents will come around eventually if they ever would.

Good luck :bongin::bongin:

5. [quote name='"Storm Crow"']Get ready to hotbox! :smoking:

Swiss Study Finds Marijuana Use Alone May Benefit Some Teens (news - 2007)
    Swiss Study Finds Marijuana Use Alone May Benefit Some Teens, U.S. Doctor Disagrees | Fox News

Cannabis 'Scrips to Calm Kids? (news - 2004) Cannabis 'Scrips to Calm Kids? | Fox News

Marijuana Compound Treats Multiple Health Issues (news – 2011)
    Marijuana Compound Treats Multiple Health Issues | Fox News

Researchers study neuroprotective properties in cannabis (news -2012)
    Researchers study neuroprotective properties in cannabis | Fox News

Add these two to rub it in! One from WebMD, a respected, and reputable medical information source-

Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's (news - 2006)
    Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's

And the other right from the news just a few weeks ago!

Pot compound seen as tool against cancer (news – 2012)
    Pot compound seen as tool against cancer - SFGate

Now, you need to send me an email (bottom of my sig), so you will have 840 pages of links like those above to use whenever questions about cannabis come up!

Granny :wave:[/quote]

Thank you very much, much respect for the time you take to do this

6. [quote name='"Heerbalist"']Sounds like your parents aren't the type to be convinced.

My advice is just smoke up and keep your stash out of their sight and be more careful.

Maybe your parents know that weed isn't that bad but dont want you to go down a path where your using something in a similar fashion to anti-depressants/alcohol. Either way it's best to just keep it on the dl until you can move out cause speaking from experience trying to convince them will probably cause more problems than itl solve. your parents will come around eventually if they ever would.
    ?
    Good luck :bongin::bongin:[/quote]

I agree

7. I'm one of that tiny minority (around here anyway) that thinks people shouldn't mess with cannabis until about age 30, after the brain has finished optimizing circuits in your early 20s. And there's a fair bit of literature about IQ drops and mental health issues, but they all seem to be exclusive to people under about 25.

So your parents aren't crazy. I smoke and wouldn't want my kids to until they're older as well, even if it was medicinal.

All that aside, it is their house, and you're their kid, so I'd say respect the rules. If you just can't or won't stop for whatever reason, keep it as low key as possible, don't lie, and don't rub it in their face.

I don't know what they're like, but if you can't put it off for a few years, I think your answer becomes "We don't agree on this issue, I respect your opinions and the fact that this is your house, and you'll never have to deal with anything related to it. But outside the house it's my life to live. I value and will consider any opinion you have on it, but ultimately it's up to me."

In the end you could run out and dig up 500 articles on the benefits, but they'd be able to find 5000 on the "dangers". So you won't win it on rational analysis, most likely.

I'm serious about the "don't lie" part. Trust is harder to replace than anything, and you're a grown man, so lying or sneaking or hiding is below you at this point.

8. move out? that's what i would do, i'd rather live in a van then my parents house

9. [quote name='"OldManDave"']I'm one of that tiny minority (around here anyway) that thinks people shouldn't mess with cannabis until about age 30, after the brain has finished optimizing circuits in your early 20s. And there's a fair bit of literature about IQ drops and mental health issues, but they all seem to be exclusive to people under about 25.

So your parents aren't crazy. I smoke and wouldn't want my kids to until they're older as well, even if it was medicinal.

All that aside, it is their house, and you're their kid, so I'd say respect the rules. If you just can't or won't stop for whatever reason, keep it as low key as possible, don't lie, and don't rub it in their face.

I don't know what they're like, but if you can't put it off for a few years, I think your answer becomes "We don't agree on this issue, I respect your opinions and the fact that this is your house, and you'll never have to deal with anything related to it. But outside the house it's my life to live. I value and will consider any opinion you have on it, but ultimately it's up to me."

In the end you could run out and dig up 500 articles on the benefits, but they'd be able to find 5000 on the "dangers". So you won't win it on rational analysis, most likely.

I'm serious about the "don't lie" part. Trust is harder to replace than anything, and you're a grown man, so lying or sneaking or hiding is below you at this point.[/quote]

No I agree with you completely, I do need to stop lying. I'm trying to break the habit of lying. I would never rub it in there face. Its just the reason they don't want me smoking is different from your reason, they are just uninformed, but its not a battle worth winning nor is it a winnable battle.

I actually really appreciate your post and advice and you putting time into this. +rep when I get to my computer

Thanks a lot

10. Move out on your own and become a huge success. That'll teach the ignorant bastards!

11. If you were fed the propaganda stream of total misinformation that they were likely fed all if their lives until right now, you'd probably think it was awful like heroin too.

12. Opening closed minds is difficult my friend, work around the issue instead of taking it head on. It's probably the better option in your situation.

13. [quote name='"Curley"']Move out on your own and become a huge success. That'll teach the ignorant bastards![/quote]

If your being sarcastic, I know my title is kinda harsh, I wish I had a bit less harsh term. Like I said though, I love my parents a lot.

14. [quote name='"mrsmichigan"']If you were fed the propaganda stream of total misinformation that they were likely fed all if their lives until right now, you'd probably think it was awful like heroin too.[/quote]

Like I said if your refering to my title it is a bit too harsh. Of course, I was fed the propaganda until a few years ago.

15. [quote name='"DanKnStickyy"']Opening closed minds is difficult my friend, work around the issue instead of taking it head on. It's probably the better option in your situation.[/quote]

Indeed

16. My parents grew up in that generation too. They are wry anti MJ, don't know I smoke/etc and don't need to. I don't live with them though so there's no need really. They've interacted with me manyany times where I was so baked they had to have known, I'm still not sure they did. I figure of either of them ever had they'd have known...I don't think they have.

17. wait til they asleep then hotbox the shit out of their room, while hiding under the bed with a phone on gc for a live feed!

18. I found that it was a lot better to go out into the world and find my own way than stay where I was and try to shape people to fit my expectations and vast knowledge. Especially at the grand old age of 19, lol.

Ignorance cuts both ways.

19. they aint gonna change ther minds, keep disproving there so called 'facts' for fun your doing a good job already

20. First off you need a pair of cutoff jeans at about the knee...Gotta bandana too? Alright, yeah, that too. Now we need some markers, Crayola makes some, pick 'em up as well. Now, now we move onto the artwork! Pull the caps off those markers and place them between your fingers and go at it with a wall in the house, make sure you're wearing the jeans though, man! This shit will never work without the fuckin' jeans!

Don't get caught.:cool: