Parents asking their kids for rent. Right or wrong?

Discussion in 'General' started by hippie flip, Aug 16, 2011.

1. I was talking to a buddy today and he mentioned having to pay rent to his mother, he is 18 years old and has been paying his mother rent since he got a job at 16. I thought this was kind of drastic as my parent has never asked me for anything...I understand if you're living at home at like 21 or something, but I thought this was different.

Thoughts?

2. I'd probably just move out and pay my own rent

3. if your parents hate you, sure.

4. at 16 you should try and get a job, i got a part time family job when i was 16. never had to pay rent although my mother did tell me when i turned 18 i should i get a full time job and pay rent, or continue my schooling...lucky me i got a full time job where my college tuition is free and moved out BOOM! but yea, 16 is a little young bro. once your 18 i don't see the problem

5. Well I understand having to pay rent after 18. But 16? That's just fucked up. That's why I live in my own house :) So I don't have to deal with shit like that.

6. I always helped my family financially once I turned 16 and got a job. I didn't necessarily pay rent but I would help pay bills when they needed it. I don't think it's absolutely necessary for a 16 year old to pay rent though. My family was just always on the poor side and I was happy to help out as I lived in the house too. If the family is financially well off than I don't think a 16 year old should be paying rent. Once kids get to be 18+ I think it's a different story though. Slipping your parents some money every month isn't the worst thing and it's definitely cheaper than having your own place. Saving an extra $100-200 monthly to give to them helps you learn to budget your money for when you move out.

7. My parents tried to make me pay rent, but when I paid they were saving it door a car for me

8. I think it depends on the kid, When I got a job at 16 I had to pay rent but that money also went to my car insurance and I didn't have a curfew. It was basically like me living on my own ...but in my parents house.

9. Maybe their parents are just having a tough time, and he was helpin out?

My mom never asked me for rent, but I still helped her out with it. Now that I moved out (hopefully stay this way), if I ever went back I would definitely pay rent.

10. I paid rent when I was 16-17-18 and had a job. It wasn't A LOT, but enough to help pay for a few little things here and there.

11. My friends had to do that. But I mean, it's not a big deal. Your parents spend soo much money on you to raise you. Especially if there struggling to pay rent on an appartment.

12. I would've moved out on my own; there's no reason to pay rent to your parents and still have to deal with their rules.

13. I paid from 16 to 18. Helped out and shit.

14. I'll give my future kids a year after high school to either pay rent or move out, one of the two.

15. the rules belongs to the roof. you live under it - you follow them. however, i would say the line draws to the extent of neccesarity.

if greed and extra income is the motivating intentions i would replace the term parents with landlords - and just be real about it, because thats what it is; a business relationship.
    if the money is needed or the rent paying is part of the parenting proccess, i feel it would be completly OK to ask for backup - i myself would consider my options based on our relationship.

that statement would get your ass spiked with a broken bottle back in russia :p
    its fairly common too see kids supply their parents over there. i guess this whole topic is determined by cultural factors as respect...

16. My parents just stopped paying for other shit. like movies, fast food, gas even clothes sometimes. Charging rent is pretty fucked up to be honest, I would guess that chick has some problems.

17. I think it's wrong. In my culture, family is the most important thing, we never put our parents in retirement homes, we care for them our whole life with everything we've got, just like they did when they bought us into this world. I dont think they should charge you rent, but you should help out when times are tough as as much as you can because family is really the only thing you've got in this world, in my opinion. And in my case my parents have never charged me with rent, because im their own flesh and blood, not some random person who came to live with them.

Feel free to disagree with me.

(I'm Pakistani/Muslim by the way)

18. At 16? Thats kind of ridiculous. If its after youve graduated from high school I can understand it.

19. It's hard to say not knowing the exact situation, but because of how I grew up my parents never expected rent from me. They didn't make a whole lot and lived paycheck to paycheck, and they still let me stay there till I was 19. So I think it's a little fucked up, but there could be a really good reason for it that we don't know about..

20. When a kid turns 18. He should pay rent, and/or contribute to the house hold.