Parents And Their Thoughts On Weed

Discussion in 'General' started by catchingdust, May 11, 2014.

1. Howdy folks, I'm new to the forum so please forgive me if I make any mistakes. Hope all is well.

I've come here to ask a question in regards to a situation that many of you have likely run into. It would mean quite a lot for anyone to read this despite the textual wall, and do their best to help if at all possible. 

I love my parents to death. I owe quite a lot of my growth as a human being to them. In fact, I would go as far to say that given certain circumstances growing up, had they not been there for me... I very well may not be alive. Had they not worked their asses off to see to it that I get to a healthier place (was plagued by depression for quite some time), I could be in an entirely different place right now. With that being said, I respect them immensely. 

The first time I smoked was new years, so Jan 1st more or less. Since then I've gradually become a regular smoker. The first month or two was roughly 3 times a week, and then it transitioned into a daily activity. I'm currently on a tolerance break and haven't smoked in 8 days (stopping has actually been ridiculously easy compared to what I thought it'd be). The break will likely last another month, and then I'll go right back to it. Point of all the being, is that roughly a month ago my parents found out that I smoke and they weren't thrilled, naturally. But they also understood the reality of the situation, that regardless it's something that I'll end up doing regardless of their views on it. 

Now that I've started my break, my folks have started dropping random sentences here or there about their disdain for me starting back up. It's understandable but it is troubling. I care a lot about what they think. I was talking to my mom about me filling ill still (I've been fighting a rough sinus infection since Tuesday of this past week) and she said that it was probably a result of my cessation of smoking. I dismissed that (in a rather frustrated manner) and that led to a small confrontation. 

It doesn't bother me as much that my folks are 'against' weed. What bothers me is that I feel they don't trust my judgment. I've also worked my ass off to get healthy and there's no reason I'd want to ruin that for myself. I'm a rather self-aware individual and that leads me to do constant check ins with myself during the time that I smoke and on breaks as well. I'm very carefully watching where I do it, who I do it with, how frequently I smoke and if that interferes with life related obligations or interests that I had prior to marijuana, and if I'm smoking for recreation or to get away from problems. I also make sure to watch whether or not I'm changing as a person, how I change, and whether the changes are made sober or non. I don't even think marijuana is a miracle drug as so many users claim it to be (same coin, different side-- I don't think it's nearly as bad as it's made out to be also). I've discussed this with them, and I still feel like they don't trust my judgment.

They both grew up conservatively and are still conservative with a lot of social issues (still generally very very reasonable/open people). It comes out of a place of concern, which I can respect. I disagree with them on a lot of social issues, and that doesn't seem to bother me. But yea. I guess what I'm asking is if there's anything I can do to maximize the positive potential of the situation? Does it seem to be as good as it's gonna get? Should I just get over it? 

Again, it's not like I mind if they aren't fond of weed. If they want nothing to do with it, that's OK. But I don't want them to think I have poor judgment overall. They're primarily concerned with the legality issue but my dad still thinks it's rather unhealthy. But then again, so is over half the shit in American society. Most of which just about everyone has remote contact with on a daily basis. Pick your poison, ya know? Like I don't like alcohol, and have no interest or desire to do any other drugs. I just find what I'm doing to be harmless (or it has been FOR ME as an individual THUS FAR), the moment that changes (if it does) I'll be sure to stop. But yea. Any and all help is much appreciated. Sorry for the wall of text. 

(I'm 19, by the way)

2. So many words.

I was lucky enough to have parents who knew that their kid would come across drugs in his life. It's part of growing up, especially when you live in or near a major city.

When it comes to your parents, it's their opinion. As long as you're not letting it get in the way of things like work or school then it shouldn't be looked at as an issue. But they're parents, they always worry. Especially if they're uneducated on the subject matter. You gotta remember they grew up in a different time.

Educate them. Show them documentaries if you need to.

Thanks for your reply, man! I want to say that my parents expected that as well. I have a brother who is seven years older (vastly different from me also)... and well my parents just aren't dumb/naive. They did it too, back in their day (though significantly less as I understand it). 

And yea, that's the thing- oddly enough I've felt more motivated when smoking than ever before. I hardly had an ounce of laziness in me. There were a couple of times where I smoked too much and just kinda became a potato, but out of the hundred+ times I've smoked, that's happened like 2-4 times total. 

But yea. They're bound to worry and I understand it comes from a good place... but just as they aren't naive, I'm not either (or I am to some things, but not this at least). Like I said, my parents are smart folks, but they watch Fox News a lot and seem to think highly of just about everything that's said on there. I've seen many different news reports from there about how awful weed is and how it just ruins people. Where you and I may know that isn't the case (in 9/10 times), I feel like they wouldn't budge with it. Even if I were to show them docs, I feel like they'd be more inclined to think the docs are biased as opposed to the news. 

4. If they're fans of Fox News then they'll most likely be inclined to listen to Dr. Sanjay Gupta. He's a regular on CNN. Pretty renowned neurosurgeon who was even selected to be the <span>Surgeon General under President Obama. That's a pretty high position, Gupta and declined have the position. Well, he has a special on CNN that blew a lot of people away, recently he did a part 2 of the story. Show it to them. It's on YouTube.</span>

I'll definitely check it out and have them do the same. I really appreciate your input man! Hopefully they'll warm up to the idea (simply so we can be on the same page).  

6. Good luck.