Paranoid about animals in my woods

Discussion in 'General' started by Curiousgrow, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Call me crazy but whenever I go alone into my woods I'm always paranoid about getting attacked by a wolf, coyote, or a mountain lion.

Before you go saying these animals don't exist in the woods - they most definetely do. I came across one a month or two which scared the shit out of me. I was about to walk into my woods and I saw some kind of ether cat or dog type or animal which looked very chunky so I'm pretty sure it was one of these three animals I mentioned.

Now since then I have bought a 22 Ruger Rifle last week for protection when I go out there. My question to grass city if you guys know anything about guns - do you think this is a good safety weapon for the woods? If I ever ran into a pack of wolves, coyotes or a mountain lion do you think blasting a shot at them with the shotgun could scare them off or kill them easily?

I wish these animals didn't bug me out but i always feel like better to be prepared than care free until they're eating off your head lol.

What you all think? Anyone ever run into a crazy animal in nature?

Peace. :smoke:

2. "My woods"? lolwut, do you own the forest? I imagine any firearm is good defense against anything that isn't made of kevlar.

3. Lol man yeah I didn't mean it like that but what I do mean is they're not very populated woods or anything there so you don't see people there all the time. I mean in the public parks and stuff you wouldn't worry about animals but in the ones with less people it seems way more likely to come across something. :smoke:

4. .22's aren't good protection against much of anything. Get a handgun that you can carry on you and still be hands free. 9 mill, .45, something along those lines.

5. You're lucky, when I go into the woods I have to worry about this guy...
    [​IMG]

6. Damn, you're gonna need to strap yourself with a flaming crossbow to take that thing down.

7. fuck New Jersey

8. You really don't think a .22 is good protection ? I mean it's got a powerful shot. I was surprised when I tried shooting it when I bought it. Did not expect such a loud blast lol. I feel like the sound alone would scare the shit out of any animal.

9. they're out to get you op, they smell your fear.

10. I'm pretty sure any gun is fine for taking down a coyote. You could spray it full of bb's and it'll still go running.

11. Make sure you can defend off those Werewolves. So get a gun and some silver bullets.

Heres an article.

Killing a Werewolf.

12. Be noisy. Most animals have learned that humans are bad news and will avoid us if at all possible. :bolt:

Don't be eating a burger or BLT sandwich while you walk- they do smell good to carnivores, too.

The forest is the animals home, you are a just visitor- they get "right of way", and you just back away slowly:hide: and let them go by. (running makes you look like possible prey)

Get a partner in your grow- you will have someone to help you back if you break a leg, or sprain an ankle, (more likely than being attacked). Also two people are more scary to animals than one and gives off twice the noise.

Reality check- On any day, you are FAR more likely to be killed in, or by, a car , than be killed by a mountain lion, a bear, wolves and sharks and lightning all put together! :p

So do you freak out crossing streets? Flip out in traffic? Cars ARE dangerous! Logically, you should be more scared of a car than a wolf pack! :eek:

But animals (beyond dogs and cats) are unfamiliar to you, I bet! Learn about them from reliable sources! Fear is often just the result of lack of knowledge! Your fear will melt away with your ignorance. EDUCATE YOURSELF! :yay:

And yes, I live where we have mountain lions, bears and coyotes (no wolves that I know of). Saw a dead bear cub by the side of the road last month. I watch deer grazing on my lawn in winter. We had a mama mountain lion and her cub wandering through here a couple years ago. Not enough game here so they eventually wandered off. :wave:

And my school has a "mountain lion lock-down" plan and it has been used once.

My hubby and sons walk the back trails around here without fear. (My knees don't like hills :cool: ) The guys are noisy and "heavy-footed", so they seldom encounter anything bigger than a ground squirrel or rabbit!

Granny :wave:

13. It was definitely anceint aliens or slenderman

Something paranormal is definitely happening here.

14. If it's a mountain lion, a .22 might scare them away with the noise but it sure as shit isn't gonna bring that sucker down.

Get a shotgun.

15. I second this. A .22 will do work against a coyote, but definitley not a mountain lion. Invest in a 12 guage pump shotgun. That will scare/kill any animal you described if it attacks you.

16. Well I already bought the rifle lol. Well the thing which may be an advantage is that I can shoot up to ten shots without having to put in new bullets or anything so I imagine ten shots from a rifle might do the trick on a mountain lion. I don't know 100% there are mountain lions in my area, but I feel like there probably is. 

I've heard the environmenntal agency around here pretends they don't exist here even though one got hit by a car in Connecticut in July. Now that is some conspiracy if you ask me.  I bet if I asked them if I could shoot a mountain lion they would say it's protected even though they claim they are nowhere to be seen here. Plus I've seen in garden forums that mountain lions are seen plenty around these areas along with wolves and of course coyotes. 

I wonder if maybe I should just go hunting or on a mission to kill all them off by spending some time luring them in and trying to kill all of them. I might feel guilty if I did that though lol. I guess it is their turf but I just don't ever wanna get attacked by any of them. :smoke: Â¥ 

17. I definitely saw a mountain lion walking down the street in northern VA one time, right by George Mason campus. Never thought animals like that were around that area, but it was a HUGE cat. I wasn't the only person who saw it, so it was definitely real

18. Word. I would not be surprised in the slightest if VA has tons of mountain lions and wolves. This is where I keep up with the latest sightings sometimes - Upstate New York Forum - GardenWeb Plenty of people claim to see them around here.

19. I wonder if maybe I should just go hunting or on a mission to kill all them off

STUPID IDEA, illegal as all get out for a start! Fish and Game, or Forestry would nail you! Most animals are QUITE illegal to hunt without a license!

And let me tell you what would happen if you did kill off most of the predators, the number of deer, squirrels and rabbits goes up....and up....and up. The sick and wounded aren't being picked off by their natural predators. Diseases start showing up.

Then the deer and other animals start starving- starving deer will eat the bark off of the trees and that kill many trees. The possibility of a serious fire goes way up with all that dead wood. Dead trees don't produce any food or shelter for anything but termites and beetles. And all it takes is a match, or lightning strike, and you are rapidly heading into an ecological melt-down! (This happened in Cuyamaca Park, years ago.)

Predators are necessary for ecological balance.

20. i'd be more scared of aliens & monsters in the woods.LOL.

carry a hand knife with you, if anything were you happen, duke it out >=] only the strong shall survive ;)