Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Paranoia Even After 2 Years of Smoking?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by lazercakez, May 23, 2016.

1. Hey everyone, new member here but longtime lurker. I've been smoking weed for about two years now and I am still experiencing a common and dreadful problem: paranoia/panic attacks while high. I'd say about 1/2 times I smoke I end up freaking out, and it's horrible. It almost ruins fun for me and just causes me to skip it sometimes.

A little background on me: I am a usually anxious person who has a low tolerance to substances. I (clinically diagnosed) suffer from general anxiety and depression. I am also (this will be important later on) an extremely creative person with a vivid and wild imagination, I spend most of my time daydreaming and going on mental tangents.

Whenever I smoke, I'm usually with friends and my boyfriend in a calm, safe environment. However, we usually all share one potent strain. Even though it's potent, everyone except me is able to do massive bong rips and enjoy it. I'm that one person in the group who always has to be held and reassured that they aren't going to die (we all know that one person).

I end up over thinking, physically shaking from being cold, freaking out over my pounding heart, thinking I'm going to die, freaking out from not being able to control myself, and being unable to control my movements (i usually walk in a circle).

This is how the cycle goes:
    -I go outside to smoke (i take a few small hits)
    -I start to feel the effects (calm)
    -I go back inside and sit on the couch
    - Everything is good
    -i realize I'm high and freak out
    -cue overthinking and everything else

I don't get why the others I know who smoke who also have anxiety/depression don't freak out. They're always so happy, calm, and giggly. Even my boyfriend who has OCD , ADHD, and anxiety takes it like a champ. I haven't met anyone else who freaks out like me and I feel quite alone, almost like a baby. After smoking for two years I don't understand why I can't remain calm. There have been streaks of 2-4 times where I've had so much fun and vice versa. I go into it calm, I'm in a safe environment with great people, and I don't smoke that much. I really don't understand what the problem is.

Yes, I do want to continue smoking and I don't intend on stopping. I just want to be able to fix this problem. I am so sick of freaking out over having a heart attack, overthinking, shivering and being scared of everything. I've tried everything I can to keep myself busy: music, talking, sex, dancing, watching a movie, etc. Could someone offer me some advice or explanation? Thank you

2. When possible stick to indicas..if your prescribed benzos for your anxiety those should help.

3. Either buy something that's not as strong and build up a tolerance to thc or just smoke a bit from a joint or something, no one says you have to do bong rips because other and bf are doing so, they have probably been smoking for months/years and know how to handle their highs better, but it's just imo, smoke...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Everyone reacts differently to weed. Sounds like you probably enjoy it most after smoking only a moderate amount.

You probably have some issues with yourself. Almost everybody does of course, and we all respond to our own problems differently. Weed might exacerbate your issues.

I used to smoke and get crazy hyper. After awhile I chilled out and started smoking heavily. Then I stopped and now I only smoke a bit here and there for entertainment and I don't need a lot at all to get a fun high.

Back in the day, when I smoked a lot with friends, I know I'd rather someone smoke less and have a good time, than just smoke to try and keep up with the others. Trying to impress people is just a waste of energy imo. Enjoy it or don't do it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. It doesnt have anytging to do with weed, its your perspective on life man, you gotta let go.
    Dont sweat the small things- and everything is a small thing. Weed is a short term solution to a long term problem. Drop the American illusions, the door is always open, you can go live in the woods like Tarzan and be just as happy and content as anyone else. Fear is the only division between heaven and hell

• Like Like x 2
  6. Thank you guys for your replies

7. Smoke less. Instead of taking a few small hits, just take one. You KNOW you won't die from weed, so I don't understand how once you're high, you think you'll die.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Weed can have that affect on some people. Maybe try smoking less weed less often.

9. If it makes you feel any better, I still tend to get paranoid after 20 years of smoking. People who aren't prone to anxiety/paranoia/panic can't relate, so they give advice like "smoke Indicas" or "...think your way out of it." For most smokers, that advice is not helpful. But you've already gotten some good advice, like:
    1) Smoke less--a lot less. Take half a baby hit and see how you feel after ~10 minutes. Real friends will respect the fact that weed tends to make you anxious, as opposed to pressuring you into an uncomfortable mind-state.
    or
    2) If you have access to medical, seek out strains rich in CBD. CBD-rich strains vs. THC-rich strains are night and day. Personally, CBD strains with a little THC get me "high" and comfortable. THC strains get me "baked" and typically uncomfortable.
    or
    3) Stop smoking, or smoke less frequently. I have friends who can smoke all day every day and still function and be happy and relaxed. I'm just not one of those people... something that becomes clearest when I take a break.

• Like Like x 1
  10. #10 CasperTheTokerGhost, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
    Good someone answered the heavy part. honestly, have you ever thought when you get high, as a creature of habit always go to the same thing? Anxiety and paranoia? You might have to come to terms to accept your anxiety and paranoia. Tbh this might be long but hopefully it will help you.
    I get high everyday and 5/7 of the days being high im all good. Those 2/7 are anxiety/paranoid thoughts or just bad highs. My sober self has anxiety already. Im telling you now, if you smoke weed and have panic attacks or anxiety, it can make it worse. Have you ever tried to find exactly why you have anxiety or paranoia? Everytime i get high when alone i sit in a room, play music, and stare at the wall thinking why do i have anxiety.... marijuana can be a great teacher if the student is willing to listen and try. But its however you want your high to be. I learned to control when i want to just have an all nice relaxing high.

I too, am extremly creative with a vivid and wild imagination and i do too spend my days daydreaming and going on mental tangents. Shit i have adhd + anxiety + add. (im sometimes hyper and sometimes im not) and that makes it so hard to control my own baseline thoughts. my emotions play so much with how i feel and how i play situations. I have realized my mind races fast and over thinks way too much. I worry about fucking worrying!!!! I recently learned i dont allow myself to do good or happy things. Part of my anxiety is that having a good time, acknowledging that i have a good time, i feel like it will destroy it and make it a bad time. Thats so hard for me to accept. My physical anxiety goes up so bad when i try to fix it. Its a mental game. It sucks but its fun at the same time because it proves i can truly figure out whats wrong. I dont know when or how but I will. I will not stop till i do. Looking forward to tripping of psychedelics in a month, and im afraid of ruining it thinking how great it will because i know it will be fun and great but i feel like because i say that im cocky and will flip and ruin the experience. Just typing that, easies my anxiety. I havent been able to put that in words till right now. See im always trying to solve my anxiety. I want you to try too! (i feel content rn haha anxiety wise.) Feels nice.

Yes sometimes marijuana cures and hurts my anxiety. Its a double edged sword. But when my anxiety goes up, when high, you best bet i try to be alone at home with music, going into my little head and finding out why im feeling insecure. At the end of the day my mind with second think everything. Acknowledging that, makes me calmer and that with time, as i learn to ignore these anxiety thoughts, it will go away. Im taming my tiger ;). And i hope you try to too. Because anxiety is a bitch and we can always find a reason to destroy it. My family has had it for generations... that doesnt help me out either. Fuck anxiety. Fuck it. Its a bitch. But hey dont get me wrong im trying to come to terms with it and such. Not Trying to say fuck it and ignore it. I have no reason to be anxious. I live in a nice area, almost off to college finally, i love my life. Financially im ok and will be able to some day level out to where i have my own money to support myself. I have no need for anxiety. But its here. It weights me down but fuck it im not gonna let it bring me down. We all go through life and Im going to be one of those people who will gladly say I made it.

To deal with your anxiety in the moment. What makes it go away for me when high is this. I want you to try this and let me know!!

Say this to yourself, Ok, i have anxiety (or paranoia or whatever ur feeling) and Im high right now. Im going to stop this negative train of thought. (Then you have to physically do something else. Change your environment, doing so will change your train of thought because your doing something else. If you stay where you are at, those thoughts will just sit there and pile up.) Because I am high, and I will have this great feeling (the actual high) and I will enjoy it for the time being. Once its gone, if i have to, whatever im putting off, even negative thoughts, ill deal with it when im not high.

When it comes to that "dealing" part it will either seem, dumb, stupid, or even pointless ! thats even how i enjoy getting high when i have a lot of work to do. Ok enjoy high, chill for an hour, once sober bam, do work. When you are high enjoy it! Its suppose to be fun! It should be special when your high. Thats how i deal with it.

oh and im paranoid just cuz its illegal. Lol. I realize i will always be somewhat paranoid high if i chose to be. I just dont think about, go about my day and the paranoia is gone. Paranoia is literally the dumbest thing you can do to yourself. Thats how i look at it and get past paranoia.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  11. Thank all of you so much for your replies, they really helped!

12. #13 euroguy1989, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
    No offence to you but every person has some sort of substance they don't do well with some people its meth, some people its booze, some people its acid, for me its cheap wine I used to have full black outs and be drunk for days with my friends when I was a young teen.

For you and for my cousin its weed he just gets full angry and can't control himself same with rum. You just gotta find my drug or booze of choice as by the sounds of it you might give yourself a bad mental health problem or you might get over it weed was fucking with my head when I was between working and being kicked out of school at 17 i didnt stop smoking either but I got over it once I got a job.

Before anyone judges I am now 27 still smoking everyday and I've been working in a government office as a manager for over 4 years now getting paid very nicely by the way and didn't finish highschool so yeah all it means is I had more fun then other people and still am ;)

Note: don't even smoke any of the synthetic shit either if you can't smoke natural bud I had this one called witchy woman and was like a reverse anxiety attack after 2 big puffs on a jount my brain couldn't process shit and could only comprehend shit if I said it outloud then all 4 people started freaking out even though had been smoking for at least 5+ years and didn't get the giggles or shit like that anymore

the effects were fucked, don't ever try it i could see why people are suicidal when they smoke that shit... Just another reason to legalise weed I guess though

13. its just because you feel those side effects you dont feel when you're sober. its easy to think something is wrong when all the paranoia, heightened senses, fast heartbeat, etc. are happening all at once

14. Already posted this in a thread about fruit, but you might want to try fresh squeezed lemon juice with a peel in it. I'm just regurgitating High Times if I explain, so here's the article What to Do if You Get Too High

Still haven't tried it myself so no clue if it'll work. I tend to avoid lemons while high since reading this, but it might be of some help to you, and I hope it is. Good luck.

15. Hamishpatterson

Type this in on YouTube youll be glad you did. very enlightening, spaceship earth/frequency/how to floe with positive energy in the most negative environments/the illusions that shspe your reality and how to recreate your reality and deprogram and adapt a higher frequency and consciousness.

16. Work on your metacognition