Parallel Universes

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by kushman2020, Dec 27, 2008.

1. After my physics tests, my teacher will usually throw me something to keep my mind occupied until im allowed to leave. He usually gives me the Complete works of Calvin and Hobbes, which is hilarious. But recently, he gave me something very different. He gave me a very small science article, but it was one of the most intense mind blowing things ive read. It was on parallel universes, and how it is very scientifically possible that they exist. Does anyone else have information on this topic?

2. Multiverse

I think Neil deGrasse Tyson has some very interesting books on the subject as well. I watched him give a lecture once, he is very entertaining.

3. I'm not a physicist, but...

The idea of multiple universes coexisting alongside one another isn't exactly new in the sciences. It was first developed as a possible interpretation of quantum theory in the 1950's.

The way quantum theory works is that you can't use it to predict exactly what a given particle is going to do at a given time. At best you can use it to assign probabilities of what it could do. It was proposed that when a particle does something what actually happens is that everything it could possibly do actually happens- but each possibility occurs in a new "branch" universe. Under this model we can't predict exactly what it will do because it will actually do everything and we have no way of knowing which branch universe we end up in. Effectively it will look random.

It's also an idea which crops up in string theory. There are 10^500 possible ways to do a universe in string theory and it's become somewhat of a fashion to assume they all exist.

A physicist named Lee Smolin proposed an idea where the inside of the event horizons of black holes are actually the birthplace of new universes. The crazy part is that he proposed that the new "child" universes might actually have slightly different physical constants from their parent universes- meaning that there would be a "natural selection" of universes happening because the only universes that would produce more child universes would be the universes which could produce black holes. Coincidentally, the same kinds of universes which can produce black holes are also usually the ones that can support life.

The problem with the multiverse idea is that there's no way to test it. At best you can use it to predict we'll end up in the one universe that happens to look exactly like ours. It's an interesting idea but scientifically untestable.

4. If your interested in that stuff, look up the M theory and String theory. These are guaranteed to blow your mind away.

5. In other words, it's a perfect theory. :)