Paper wasps gave me pest free bud one year!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by DrDizzle, Nov 27, 2018.

1. So one year we had a huge paper wasp infestation in the crawl space above the house where our grow was located! The hive was so large it has begun to break out satellite combs all over the yard! One day when doing some defoliation, startled I jumped back and there was a paper wasp comb with three large yellow jackets on it! My uncle and grow benefactor at the time liked to hit the sauce and as I insisted we destroy the comb, he kept inching closer and closer, eventually, I shit you all not, he started petting those wasps on the thorax, they didn't even notice! Well I let three more small combs lay claim to two more outdoor monsters, setting up shop right snack dab in the middle of the main stalks, no matter how much I moved those plants for the entirety of the season those wasps never even flew in my face! That season we harvested the least caterpillar damaged crops I to this day have ever produced. I know it was probably because the infestation in my house was so large the wasps didn't feel threatened no matter what, but I like to think that the Grow Gods were teaching me something about letting Mother Nature take the reigns, and trusting her guidance by letting go, even when every thing that makes me human says not to. Has anybody else had a grow experience like or similar to this?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 3
  2. That’s a really cool story. I would have wiped them out. I couldn’t risk someone in my home getting stung

“Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere.” — someone awesome

• Like Like x 3
  3. Wow that's great and it goes to figure that a wasp like that would eat just about anything that's on that plant or anything around there because their meat eaters so to speak they would eat everything that's a great deterrent and I would not have thought of that thank you

sent sitting in my garden

• Like Like x 1
  4. I couldn't find any pics of the comb, it was a real small one! But here is a pic I dug up from 09 showing the presence. They came for the water, stayed for the buffet! [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. Paper wasps brown with dangling legs they can look like yellow jackets with droopy legs too can be hard to piss off unlike yellow jackets but the sting is worse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sorry if I miscatagorized and called out multiple Hymenoptera, while showing a picture of the actual specimen, but my entomology classification is made weak so I call any wasp that builds a nest made of paper, a paper wasp! Sorry for confusion!

• Like Like x 2
  7. [​IMG]

Was out cleaning grow area for winter, and ambient temp, humidity, and moisture levels created this beautiful mycelium in a concrete crack under one of our containers! If inoculated properly, your entire yard becomes a living network!