Panic Attacks

Discussion in 'General' started by bogdaughter, Sep 10, 2012.

1. I'm wondering if maybe I could get a little advice, I'm not usually big on talking about this but I'm among friends. And where there are stoners, I imagine there are people who know something about anxiety.. right?

Anyway, I have a pretty hard time with random panic attacks. The doctors call it panic disorder since it affects me daily, mostly with a huge concern for going anywhere because I'm afraid I'll have a panic attack while driving or while trying to talk to people, etc. I don't know so much about the 'disorder' part, but it's certainly something I can't will away on my own. Or, at least, I haven't learned how to will it away just yet.

I find that marijuana has the power to both help and hurt. Sometimes, if I'm feeling anxious and can tell I'm going to freak, I can smoke and it'll calm me down. Other times, smoking will push me over the edge, and there are times when smoking actually brings a panic attack out of nowhere when I felt fine before I smoked. (Not the norm at all, mostly with strong sativas.)

So, does anyone here deal with anything like that? They get pretty intense on a physical level. One of the best things about weed is that it "protects" my mind during a panic attack, even if I have one after toking, I have an easier time acknowledging the attack as something physical that my body has to do, but I don't experience the panicky thoughts so much. I do get very bad vertigo, racing heart, palpitations, nausea, the whole deal.

Like I said, I don't bring it up to many people because I generally get blank stares and useless comments like "Well why don't you just calm down?"
    Hoping maybe some of the people here might have something more constructive to say than that..

2. I've only had those high, but i do have some pretty bad general anxiety. General anxiety is like panic attacks, but without the panic. Its more like a corrupted thought pattern I guess you could say, where you worry way to much, where panicing is like where you panic way to much. umm but i can relate because weed stops my anxiety at first, but sometimes it makes it way worse

3. I have bad anxiety and sometimes bud makes me anxious and paranoid but most of the times it helps. Sometimes i get on the verge of an anxiety attack because of my paranoia/worrying but i have that no matter what. I just try to remember i don't really need to feel that way it's just an effect/symptom from my problems and i can ride it out easily.

4. I have had a couple too while I was high, any tips on helping it?

5. Im on all sorts of stuff for anxiety/depression, they suck, though.

6. My best advice is to take deep breaths, remind yourself that there is no real danger, that your body is just going through something unpleasant like when you're sick. I sip on cold water and try to get myself absorbed in a movie or something, just to take my mind off it.. Then again, I'm here asking for advice too. :p

That's what I have to offer, though.

7. Dont smoke Sativa Indica is better

8. #8 SlayerVA, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2012
    I recommend never going to the doctor about it, every single medication to treat these symptoms will FUCK you up!, it's not worth it. try any other methods first.

If smoking causes anxiety, I would suggest trying to smoke a smaller amount, I find my 1-hitter is great for just releasing some stress and calming me down.

If you want to know more or have any questions about it just message me.

9. Yeah, I'm mad fucked, probably worse off than before.

10. Probably, they never worked for me, and i've been on a lot.

Never quit cold turkey like I've done, probably almost caused my death a couple times.

11. Doc has me on xanax.

Anytime my anxiety is getting bad and I cannot smoke weed. I pop one of those and it calms me down.

I hope this isn't against the rules... I have a prescription for it. But if it is, mods, please feel free to delete.

12. do you smoke cigarettes?

13. I've never had a real bad panic attack like my grandma used to get. I have genral anxiety though and it gets annoying sometimes, i've had a few different meds for it, only 1 or 2 really worked but they are addicting as all hell, even more than pain killers which are much better for my anxiety and shit, but what doc RX's them for anxiety right?

IF i were you i'd stay away from meds if at all possible, or maybe keep a bottle on deck for bad p.a's.
    The best way is to find out what is causing it and try to understand it better...

For me smoking weed usually helps with my anxiety, but if i had a panic attack and smoked idk if it would help or hurt it..

14. Only when I drink. Why?

15. #15 Storm Crow, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2012
    For a start, you need cannabis that has cannabidiol/CBD in it! Unfortunately, we have bred most of the CBD out of out smoking cannabis! :( Cannabis with CBD prevents panic attacks.

Anti-Aversive Effects of Cannabidiol on Innate Fear-Induced Behaviors Evoked by an Ethological Model of Panic Attacks Based on a Prey vs the Wild Snake Epicrates cenchria crassus Confrontation Paradigm. (abst - 2011)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21918503

Cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent, as an anxiolytic drug. (full – 2012)
    Revista Brasileira de Psiquiatria - Cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent, as an anxiolytic drug

Cannabidiol reduces the anxiety induced by simulated public speaking in treatment-naïve social phobia patients. (abst – 2011) Cannabidiol reduces the anxiety indu... [Neuropsychopharmacology. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Neural basis of anxiolytic effects of cannabidiol (CBD) in generalized social anxiety disorder: a preliminary report. (abst – 2011)
    [FONT=&quot]Clinical Studies and Case Reports[/FONT]

Also start taking Omega 3! There is a rapidly growing body of evidence at PubMed that it is necessary for the health of your endocannabinoid system, which helps control your moods.

Nutritional n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids deficiency alters cannabinoid receptor signaling pathway in the brain and associated anxiety-like behavior in mice.
    [FONT=&quot](abst – 2012) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Journal of Physiology and Biochemistry, Online First[/FONT]

Cannabinoid Receptor Function is Altered by Nutrionally Deficient Diet (news – 2012)
    [FONT=&quot]Cannabinoid Receptor Function is Altered by Nutrionally Deficient Diet - Philadelphia medical marijuana | Examiner.com[/FONT]

Omega-3 deficiency disrupts cannibinoid receptor function in brain (news – 2011)
    Omega-3 deficiency disrupts cannibinoid receptor function in brain - Wellsphere

You can get Omega 3 in fish oil, flax seed oil and hemp seed oil. It is also good for your heart health! :love:

Granny :wave:

16. Hey, I've never heard about the Omega 3 thing! That's something I can definitely get right on. Thanks!