Panic attack or what?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dawg34, Sep 20, 2013.

1. I used to have what I know to be panic attacks every once in a while at school. Trouble breathing, uncontrollable shaking, hot flashes. So I smoked weed to help calm myself down since I am strongly against any other form of medications. Lately I have taken up smoking again every once in a while but I have strange attacks while on weed to the point where I dont smoke anymore. I loose vision, get nauseus, loose hearing and cant balance to the point where I have to lay on the floor and turn out any lights. A very near blackout. Is this a different form of a panic attack? Its the same weed, know where its from and I'm not smoking enough to green out. Maybe my anxiety has just gotten worse to the point where weed actually triggers panic attacks? Help!! Thanks in advance:) btw social setting are extremely anxiety inducing for me too to the point where i get brain fog while talking to people and can hardly move, which is why I started smoking back in the day. Been smoking 5 years and used to be an everyday thing, constantly high. And what is your opinion on what I can do if I can't use weed anymore to help with this bad anxiety?

2. its probably a panic attack, you should look into cognitive behavioral therapy. therapy is more ideal than medication because anxiety disorders have such a high relapse rate when people stop taking medication 

3.  It is a very common side effect, and I do know people who can't smoke anymore because of it.  Maybe try eating something first and stay hydrated, those things alone can cause those symptoms.
    But really, If you are having such a bad reaction maybe you should quit for awhile, and learn to meditate to calm your anxiety, which is what I do .  If I feel a panic coming on, I have gotten to the point where I begin the deep breathing and can meditate it away.  :)

4. @[member="Dawg34"] IMO, no way weed can be giving you panic attacks.  I mean, it may be a trigger, but it is not the root of your problem.  There must be something going on in your life that is causing you to worry and stress out, and when you get high, its all you can think about and it becomes much more intense when you're high.

I had a panic attack earlier this year, first time in my life.  It was all bad, I went to the ER because I thought I was gonna have a heart attack.  When I first started to feel that way, weed made me feel way worse.  I ended up quitting for a month because I couldn't handle it.  But I had hella stress in my life, too much pressure from work and school and I guess my body could no longer deal with it.  In the end, my panic attack lasted two weeks. 
    But now I'm okay, like nothing ever happened.  I did get a .25 mg X 20 xanax script tho.  Maybe its something you should consider talking to a doctor about, BUT ONLY AS A TEMPORARY SOLUTION AND ONLY IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY EXPERIENCING WHAT YOU THINK IS AN ONGOING ATTACK.  I used the xanax only to get through the two weeks.  That was back in early May, I still have 1/4 of my script left, for whenever I may need it. 

You should 100% consider what @[member="wildnature"] stated about meditating and deep breathing.  You can practice deep breathing anywhere.  And it's probably the most widely used technique for relaxation.
    I also suggest you watch a brief video on yoga introduction.  The first thing you will learn is how to properly breathe deep!  You should try to learn 2 or 3 basic poses too and master the breathing technique while holding the poses.  Yoga helped me during my attack, I don't really do the posses anymore, but I do the breathing technique all the time.

5. Thanks guys! Yeah, it's definitely not caused by the weed it's just that the weed is triggering it lately. I actually did take a break and it's when I started back up a little that I'm getting panic attacks WAY more than I used to get. I'm already trying deep breathing, meditation, exercise, healthy eating and all that so I'll just continue stick with it and maybe consider seeing a doctor since this is a problem that's really screwing up my life even when I'm sober.

6. Gawddd...I feel bad for you. I get panic attacks along with bouts of vertigo...which feels like the Apocolypse when they hit together.

Your condition might be getting worse. Definitely check with your doctor in this. Be careful as they usually prescribe heavy benzos for this...which can be addictive.
    Sent from my ADR6350 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. #7 SiriusWolff, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013

I have a severe anxiety disorder and weed started setting it off. It happened for a week and i damn near stopped because of it. What you need to do is face it. Ya i know sounds hard or stupid but get high. Wait until the anxiety kicks in then ask yourself. "why am i anxious? is this rational? Is there any real reason i feel this way?". If the answer is no use the medtitative and coping skills to work through it and train your brain to realize nothing is wrong. It worked for me and i'm near agoraphobic. Now if the answer is yes then find out what is causing it. If you can find the root of the problem and fix that the anxiety will go away.

As far as sober anxiety ya it's a good idea to see a therapist or counselor. Start with the soft stuff. Talk to them about things and try to get to the root of it. Could be an emotional or psychological issue or you could have legitimate disorder of some  kind. They are there to help and are kind, compassionate, understand and extremely knowledgeable. Go for a few weeks and see if it helps. If it doesn't you can go to a psychologist who are the ones who hand out pills. Although be weary of the medication. Don't take it as something lightly or something to be used for fun as that can lead down a dark road. It's a temporary fix not a permanent one.

8. #8 midnittoke, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013
    Not to be an ass but there is a lot of misinformation in this thread. It sounds like op has anxiety, not full blown panic attack. Anxiety attacks suck but less severe and more common than panic attacks. I was diagnosed anxiety disorder and they started me on SSRIs. After 2 hospitalizations of panic attacks BP 170/110 HR 130 and sole other abnormal vitals and labs, this taught me the difference between my "anxiety" and "panic attacks". I had always had anxiety as a kid (known to tremble in front of people and what not) te panic attacks were triggered by recent diagnosis of HIV. If you are on the extremes anxiety spectrum or have full blown panic attacks I highly suggest benzos and CBT. I was doing great until the HIV (I'm also OCPD
    so the benzo CBT combo works best for me) and it's like I have to start all over.. Meh I gots some good green so whatever

9. Hey, theres good news for you.  Scientists recently identified a gene called MX2 that when "turned on" completely inhibits the HIV virus' ability to replicate and spread.  Just came out in the news a few days ago.

10. Hey guys today i had a bit of a panic attack in school , and i think its cause i was high.
    I was sitting in homeroom BAKED. I smoked quite a bit of some fruity pebble shatter which i know is clean and good to smoke so ik it wasnt the errl that got me anxious. The class was loud and i wasnt talking to anybody, im known to get really nervous in school when im high for no apparent reason, but this was different. My vision became blurry and everything around me became dreamlike. My hearing was altered and my ears were ringing. It was like my senses were depleting and i ran myself into a panic attack. I shook my head violently but could not overcome the nervousness, so i ran to the nurse and took some tylenol and went home. I was still pretty shooken up and uncomfortable on the drive home, but as another hour or two went by , i calmed down. I am nervous to smoke again. I have benn smoking oil for about 2 months now almost everyday. I get a heavy, i tense high from the oil i smoke. Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this and how they coped? Thanks

11. Sounds completely like setting and mindset.

12. You were smoking in school?