Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Panic attack after 5 day tolerance break?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Eric5ohh, Aug 7, 2018.

1. A little background first of course... I’ve been smoking weed pretty much everyday since I was about 17, I’m 23 now. The only time I’ver really taken any sort of break was over a year and a half ago on a family vacation that lasted 3 days. I smoked when I got back, and got pretty stoned. Nothing out of the ordinary happened after that and it was like I didn’t even stop smoking. Fast forward to the present day and I just took a 5 day vacation with family again, and didn’t smoke. I got back and packed a fat bowl of the same weed I had before I left so i already knew what the weed was like. I got much higher than I expected yesterday when I smoked after returning but was able to handle myself fine, just played some video games and said to myself, “wow I’m definitely higher than I usually would be”. The high went away no problem last night.

Today, I packed an equally fat bowl and ripped it in pretty much one huge hit, which is what usually I always do. I’m the guy that doesn’t even cough much after smoking a .3-.5 bowl. I got pretty stoned and again and was going to leave to get something to eat when for some reason I wanted to take a shower since I smoked outside and was sweating a little, (Florida heat will make you sweat the second you step outside) So I hopped in the shower real quick and that’s when things started to go south.

When I smoke I frequentlyget congested and I can feel mucus draining down the back of my throat which is kind of a normal feeling for me for the most part. However after not smoking for 5 days and being really stoned, this felt more prominent this time. I started trying to clear my throat and blow my nose a few times pretty hard, and at that point I was applying shampoo and started to feel my heart start to race. The mucus that felt stuck in my throat felt like it turned into a lump that seemed to be getting bigger and bigger in my throat. I could feel it getting worse and worse. I knew something was wrong and thought my throat was closing up on me. I started to fear that I was going to faint, everything was very close to going black. At that point I grabbed the towel to get out because at that point I knew something was very wrong. I started trying to just get out of the shower as fast as possible because if I was going to have some kind of medical emergency like this, I didnt want to pass out or potentially die while in the shower and have my parents potentially find me like that. (Literally my first day back living with my parents after graduating college and going on that family trip). So I got myself out of the shower, threw on my boxers and just sat in a chair in my room with my heart racing so fast i thought I was having a heart attack almost. In the back of my head, I kinda figured out I was having some type of panic attack and kept telling myself out loud “it’s okay it’s okay” and finally felt myself calming down a little, but almost blacking out in the shower like that really scared me.

I guess I knew right when I got out of the shower I was having some type of panic episode, and was able to consciously take control in my mind and tell myself I’m alright just relax... so that’s good. However I’m not sure how the hell after quitting for only FIVE DAYS this happened to me. Im not afraid of smoking again because I’m pretty sure it was an isolated incident, and i generally smoke pretty strong stuff. (I dab hash rosin/bho constantly and smoke like .5-1gram a day) I’m just wondering how or why this happened to me, and how to prevent it in the future. I’ve read up on some threads on panic attacks after tolerance breaks, but people who experienced them quit for like a year, not 5 days. I didn’t think 5 days would even do anything to my tolerance. Anyways if you read through this whole thing i really appreciate it. It’s good to know that there are other people who most certainly experience these things and have advice on how to cope with them.

2. You trippin. You might have a post nasal drip or something. Go buy a netipot.have you had panic attacks before? The same aah you "took control" you need to try right from the beginning if it happens again. You can't go around thinking it's inevitable though. Just take it easy. Try some CBD.

3. I mean I had something like this happen once over a year ago, not to this degree though. I felt my heart race for like 30 seconds and it went away. It felt weird at the time but this was way worse. I’m not concerned about being congested after smoking I just think I was so focused on that it triggered what I thought was my throat closing up on me. I don’t think it’s inevitable though, I realized in the back of my head that I had just smoked and there’s no way that would have been happening if I wasn’t high. Just trying to understand how this could happen that’s all.

4. It's normal to have anxiety after a break. I took 5 days off after a solid year, the first pinner had my heart trying to escape my chest. A panic attack without the panic lol. I've been taking short breaks every month now and it doesn't happen anymore. I think it's just a shock to the system, cold turkey one way then the other.