Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

panic and paranoid attacks

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by sizzleitup, Oct 19, 2009.

1. i was wondering how much people have panic attacks or get paranoid. i got the panic attacks about 5 times. two times very serious and i was freaking out and crying.:( it was that scary. so tell me if you ever got the panic attacks or got paranoid.

2. if you're looking for real info then http://forum.grasscity.com/apprentice-tokers/278158-research-studies.html

i've personally never had full blown panic attacks but im sure everyone gets a little paranoid now and then, nature of the herb. but it tends to go away as you get used to it and your tolerance builds. if youre generally a panicky person its probably more prevalent

3. i got a slight panic attack the first time i ever got actually high, but got over it pretty quick and was able to enjoy the rest of it. and as for paranoia, i got that the first couple times i smoked in public but now i dont really think twice about it. sometimes when im at my friends camper with a bunch of people, someone will run into the camper and say the cops are here as a joke and that will get me pretty fuckin scared but thats about it.

4. only when i smoke to much

5. Panic attacks are more common with low tolerance. It also depends not just on the quality and quantity of the bud you smoke, but whether its a sativa or indica. The sativa is a more heady high while the indica is more of a body high.

I've never had a panic attack, but indicas seem to make me more paranoid than sativas.

6. I've had paranoid, but never had a panic attack.

7. Out of curiosity and hopefully helping you solve this... Do you remember what set them off in particular? Besides being high (you were high, right? I assume so, if you don't smoke this doesn't seem like the place to ask but... idk, some people) i mean.

Being in a car sketches me out, especially with stuff in my lap. Its odd, and irrational, but I know what causes it so I keep a clear lap.

8. this happened when i smoked to much. i am a light weight and usually 1 normal hit and i am done. one time i keeped to smoke in for like 15 secs for a few hits then i became too high and started to freak out. second time i was showing my bro how big of a hit i can take out of a bong. i get high usually about 1-5 secs after i take a hit but when i toke the bong hit i was high half way sucking in, high coughing out and fucked about 5 secs later. what freaked me out was that i could not see( like when you stand up to fast and everything turns grey), i freaked out and i guess i started thinking to much...:( so now i only smoke with a few people to keep me company or my thoughts start to wonder, and i freak out.

9. I don't think I've had a full blwon paic attack but I do get pretty paranoid. Best thing I've found is to just talk to people as it really helps when you're thinking to damn hard. Just try to keep a nice conversation going with a small group and your mind won't focus on whatever it is that's making you freak out.

10. I always got them when I began to smoke. Over time however they began to fade away and I no longer get them. I credit the change to my personality shifting from sketchy to I don't give a fuck, :).

11. i had a panic attack when i smoked some hardcore dank threw a bong and milked it..first big bong toke 2 and the strongest pot i tried =)i didnt cry came close to it though cause i was high as fuck and freaking out mad cause i kept seenin things threw frames i was in the kitchen getting a drink then outside going for a walk never rememebered putting my shoes on and opening the door =)

12. Same, was only once, but probably the worst time of my life.

I never get paranoid though. Everyone seems to, think about if they're gonna get caught, or that everyone is gonna know they're high, never really occurs to me.

13. #13 glpflf, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2009
    This is just me, but someone may be able to relate...

First, I'm an "old timer" by most of ya'lls perspective, I'm sure...this happened somewhere around 1987.

I use to smoke quite a bit everyday and had been for many moons. Anyway, me and a buddy (the owner's son) from work would go to lunch every day and smoke about half a joint on the way to eat and the other half on the way back to work. I was in retail sales at the time...at a "Speed Shop" no less (high performance auto & race car parts) I worked the front "retail counter" and my buddy worked phone sales. One day after lunch I was toasty, as usual, and I was talking to a customer and all of the sudden I couldn't talk...sounds came out that sounded like some African or Indian or...yea this is it "Cave Man" language. (no offense meant to any ethnic groups) It got worse and I broke out in a sweat and finally I had to excuse myself and take a ride on the "scooter" thru the warehouse to get my shit together. I came back and took care of that customer and then went in the bathroom and hid for a while. I found out later thru another co-worker that my buddy couldn't talk that day either and wound up leaving early that day.

Funny!! Right?

Well, evidentially that experience had a profound effect on me, because after that I began to get uncomfortable every time, or most times when I was high. I would like start thinking about my breathing and shit...weird. Hard to describe. Alcohol would drown out those feelings so I started drinking more and smoking less. Finally I quit smoking and just drank. Then, sometimes when I would drink too much I would freak on the hangover...again with the breathing shit.

I was finally able to work my way thru it and I am once again a happy camper. But, it took time. It's just a head thing. I've had a lot of things happen to me and I've done some things (as have we all) that I'm not proud of. I guess all of that shit and getting a hold of some unexpectedly wicked smoke really kicked my ass.

The lesson that I learned from that experience is this:
    "When in times of Freakage, stop listening to yourself and start talking to yourself"

Hey!! I think I'll use that last sentence as my sig...

14. Usually I feel like my throat is closing up and Im not gonna be able to breathe.

15. I know EXACTLY what you mean.

16. I use to get paranoid, but I don't really anymore unless I'm toking and a cop car drives by or something.

I got a couple full blown panic attacks a few months and when you're high it's some of the scariest shit ever. At first I thought I was having a heart attack and that I was going to die. Also I heard really load noise, the loadest that I could possibly imagine, that sounded kind of like wind. Didn't get any more but that was a horrible experience nonetheless. I still get anxious whenever I think about it.

few tips:
    tell yourself you're ok you're just having a panic attack and it will be over shortly
    stay calm don't think about it too much
    wait for it to be over it takes 3 minutes for the adrenaline to stop entering your blood stream as long as you stop freaking out.

Avoid what triggered the Panic Attack if it's rational to do so.
    If it's not try to sense the on come of what triggers you and tell yourself its ok that (phobia) isn't going to happen.

Hope I helped. :)

17. I've had a real sober panic attack before and it was terrifying. About a year ago I had left some empty beer bottles on the far side of my bed and I forgot our cleaner was coming today. Well I was already stressing out over school work and making sure my gpa doesn't drop so I still get into a college I was already accepted to. So as soon as I remembered that she was coming I realized I had forgotten to throw them out before I left for school. I started freaking out. I already got caught smoking twice in the span of 6 months before then and since I was moving out for college I just wanted to keep things nice and smooth cause it doesn't matter anymore. Started breathing heavier and feeling faint. I felt like I HAD to get out of there and get home no matter what. Started shaking lightly on the way to the nurse's office and could feel this vibrating tingly sensation. Soon as I got there she asked me for a number to call my dad so I could leave. Everything basically got worse on the way home, and I was driving. Luckily I didn't have to go far. Once I got home I could barely walk to the door. Laid down on our couch and tried to calm down. Took a bit but I was fine. And I didn't get caught either. :hello:

Only time anything close to that happened was about a week or so after starting to smoke again after getting caught the first time. Had just smoked 2 fat blunts with a couple people and I started getting really paranoid and everything looked flat but like it was still the same distance away. Started getting really hot and my breathing was heavy. Decided I wanted to leave because I was getting way too uncomfortable there. As I was walking to my car I got dizzy as fuck and I was shaking so hard I couldn't get my key in my door. Stood like that for a minute or so and sat down. Finally left 5 minutes later feeling a bit better but still high as fuck.

The first time one of my ex gfs got really high she had a panic attack. Had to like hold her for an hour till she finally relaxed.

Then one of my roommates had a panic attack off a firecracker not too long ago now. He was completely flipping out. He also has a history of panic attacks though.

18. i had a panic attack the other night and thorght the nemises from resedent evil was out side but it was my cat
    Blazzin

19. I used to get quite bad panic attacks... like I moved school and was with people I wasn't exactly completely comfortable with because I hadn't known them for too long. Started smoking weed occasionally with some people and I would often trip out and think they were out to get me or some shit like they were laughing at me or speaking badly about me. Well, yeah that was bad but I got over it, I think it was a mix of being a newb smoker, in an unfamiliar environment, and I over-analyze shit constantly when im sober so I was allready prone to it. I now have very nice highs with no panic attacks.

To be honest with you my man the best thing you can do to get over panic attacks is raise your tolerance by smoking more bud :D

I know that seems a bit unconventional but it does work.

20. i was smoking one time and the left side of my chest started hurting, so the first thing i thought was i was having a heart attack(cause i was high, im 19 no way im having a heart attack) and i heard the loudest pop noise, sounded like my heart just exploded in my chest and i laid on the ground just breathing trying to calm down. It was bad, i think it was just a panic attack.